odd thing at apple store...

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I went in to my apple store yesterday and noticed a young man at the genius table complaining that his iphone 4s wouldn't charge. My ears kinnda peaked up and I tried to snoop in their convo. The genius guy looked at the charging connecter on the phone and noticed that it was corroded. He then asked the kid if he ever put it in water etc. the kid said no...long story short, they replaced the phone because the water damage alert wasn't tipped.

So this now makes me a little weary about using cases like the speck candy shell, that doesn't have a cover for the dock connector. Has anyone had this happen to them? I have been using my candy shell for a little bit and went home and immediately switched to my commuter because ti covers the port...am i just being a little too crazy?.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've used A Speck case with all of my iPhones and never had any issues with water getting in the port. If you need a little security with using an open port case, there are port covers on eBay that you can order for about 2 or 3 bucks shipped. I have one at home, but I am working right now so I can't get a picture of it. However, it fits nicely and does work with all Speck cases.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
My cousin had the charge port on one of her old Sprint phones (feature phone, not a smart phone) corrode, but that's the only time I've ever heard of it happening...

I switch my cases around a lot. I alternate between 3 cases: Otterbox Defender (with charging port cover), standard 2 piece Griffin case and I got a CandyShell for Christmas.

I think if you're careful with your phone, you'll be ok without charging port cover. Just watch leaving your phone anywhere with a lot of steam. I heard that's the number one culprit of corrosion!!

PS - Nice to see you around, Irish Rose!! I still sing your praises for helping me crack that "Restrictions" password problem I had!!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
PS - Nice to see you around, Irish Rose!! I still sing your praises for helping me crack that "Restrictions" password problem I had!!

Hey, it's nice to hear from ya, iLive an iLife. I was happy that we were able to fix that issue. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

AlanG4s

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that will get water in your phone is.... wait for it,.. water. So, keep it out of water - or - if you can't keep it dry (?) get yourself a Lifeproof case.

For the record I've had cell phones since they were nearly brick size (see image of two of my oldies I still have) and I've never covered ports and I've never had water issues.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
:)just to add my 2 cents....alot of people also dont realize that bringing their cell phone(regardless of what type) into the bathroom when they shower, that the steam could also cause water damage to your phone. SO if your one of those people that do this, i'd suggest getting an aqua pac or a waterproof pac to put your phone into while hanging out as you shower.

Last edited:

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
The only thing that will get water in your phone is.... wait for it,.. water. So, keep it out of water - or - if you can't keep it dry (?) get yourself a Lifeproof case.

For the record I've had cell phones since they were nearly brick size (see image of two of my oldies I still have) and I've never covered ports and I've never had water issues.

Those old phones (Motorola and nokia) we own as well. The nokia was an upgrade for us! This was way back in the days when it was 1 cel phone per family!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Kristy_Lyn

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Funny I specifically look for cases with open ports as I don't want to be removing the case every time I want to plug it in for a charge or plug in head phones. I am quite paranoid about water though so I make sure that my phone is always elevated away from any possible spills. I call it my "no spill zone" at anytime that I am leaving it sitting somewhere. Usually it's well protected in my pocket. Now hopefully I don't get shoved into a pool of water.

"Hello my name is Kristy. I am an Appleholic"

Last edited:

tino72

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
i always keep mine in a Mophie air charging case so my port is always covered anyway..lets me charge with all my old micro usb chargers

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
just get a lifeproof people!! i went to the beach yesterday and i was in the water filming all sorts of cool things and when i wasn't i was listening to music while snorkeling.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
just get a lifeproof people!! i went to the beach yesterday and i was in the water filming all sorts of cool things and when i wasn't i was listening to music while snorkeling.

That case intrigues me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Toomuch420

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

Y would u keep/still have those?

*rAzOr*

AlanG4s

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Y would u keep/still have those?

*rAzOr*

Two words: Antiques Roadshow. Everyone on that show has old things no longer used or with a practical use in everyday life, but the value (since other people just throw then out) keeps going up. There may come a day when some collector is looking for one of those old dinosaurs and I will have one, for a price. ChaaaaaaChing!

Ebay already has several older "vintage" cell phones for sale. $34 is the bid for a pair of Motorola Microtac 650, and I have a pair of Motorola Microtac 650 phones. I may soon sell them for much more than I originally paid for them, which wasn't much.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I keep my iPhone 4s in an air tight and temperature controlled safety deposit box down at the bank. It makes it really inconvenient to make calls or text anyone, but all my connectors have remained absolutely pristene since I started doing this. While this may eliminate the need for a protective case, I still use a flet lined case to keep it in..
......:cool:......

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have had cases both ways and never had a problem with any of the iPhones my guess is the guy probably brought it into the bathroom during a shower or something..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods