Could I risk without a screen protector

Pjr772

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I use the power support crystal film set on the front and the back. It does not affect the Retina display at all and feels just like the screen. I have fairly oily skin and it resists fingerprints as well as the screen does. Highly recommend

headgamer

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I have used Phantomskinz for a long time with my iPhone 4S now, my Palm Pre+ before (and maybe my old palm smartphones before that). I absolutely love them. I use the full body coverage for the iphone given the glass back, and they are great. Good applications mean you can't even tell they are there when the phone is off, but even with not great applications - couple of pieces of dust, etc. (like my last application, ugh) - you cannot tell it is there once the unit is on. They are self-healing to an extent too, meaning if you get a little crease or nice in the screen cover, it smooths back out over time. I'll never have a phone again without using them.

And no I don't get a kickback from Phantomskinz... I just like them. ;-)

Briannawilks

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I use a invisible shield. I kind of don't like having one on but I'd rather my screen not be scratched

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a 4s screen protector that's easy to install? My wife and I both had one that came with an Otterbox case, and I royally screwed mine up (fuzz trapped underneath, bubbles, etc.), while she seemed to figure it out. So I'm going naked right now...

A lot of people are recommending a non-glare cover that's sold at AT&T stores, is that a good one to use? Thanks.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I actually just use the cheapie ones you get at Verizon - 3 in a pack that stick on. Super easy to apply, cheap enough where after a couple of months peel off and apply a new one. i ALWAYS have a cover protecting the back of my phone that's why I just focus on putting a screen protector on the front only.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I actually just use the cheapie ones you get at Verizon - 3 in a pack that stick on. Super easy to apply, cheap enough where after a couple of months peel off and apply a new one. i ALWAYS have a cover protecting the back of my phone that's why I just focus on putting a screen protector on the front only.

Agree, I use the cheap chinese ebay protectors, I just got 20 ( 10 front and 10 back), for 5 bucks and I love them, I replace it every 2-3 months, you cant really tell you're using one and I know the screen will be like new when I sell it later.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 4S screen protector free and keep it in my pocket. So far, no scratches. I work in road construction too! :)

Then my advice to you is be VERY careful especially in that line of work. I promise you it will get scratched. Over time of course...

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a 4s screen protector that's easy to install? My wife and I both had one that came with an Otterbox case, and I royally screwed mine up (fuzz trapped underneath, bubbles, etc.), while she seemed to figure it out. So I'm going naked right now...

A lot of people are recommending a non-glare cover that's sold at AT&T stores, is that a good one to use? Thanks.

I would call Otterbox customer service. I have an Otterbox commuter and the screen protector that came with it started to bubble over and I called Customer service and they are sending me an extra one for free. I was surprised.

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Attached (I hope) is the invisible shield product I got. It was like 17 bucks (Target) and you only get one so a little terrifying to install, but it's been great! And they claim it has a lifetime guarantee, so they theoretically would send me a new one if I complained.

The installation is interesting...the back side isn't super adhesive, but they give you a solution and mini spray bottle that you put on your fingers and then all over the back of the shield. You then squeege out the bubbles to the edges and mop it up. They said that the microbubbles would go away after a day or so, and that's absolutely true. It peeled up a little by the edge, but I reset it with some of the solution and so far so good (may be the fault of my case pushing on it a little).

This one is anti-glare, anti-smudge and now that I'm used to it, I LOVE it. I will say that the people who warn about a mild degradation in picture quality are partially right. It doesn't really lead to a lower quality viewing experience, just "different". The brightness shines through perfectly, but it's a little fuzzy, almost like a feint mist. However, that's the trade-off that you get for reduced glare and ESPECIALLY reduced fingerprints. Seriously, I essentially never have to wipe my screen. Another underappreciated benefit of it is that your fingers don't stick to the device as easily on the matte finish, which makes games and gestures easier to play.

Hope this is helpful to someone. Thanks for the help.

P.S. - To the person above who said that I could have got a replacement one from Otterbox, they're probably 100% right. However, I had a bad experience with that one and wanted to try the anti-glare, so I just went and picked out my own.

Last edited:

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Attached (I hope) is the invisible shield product I got. It was like 17 bucks (Target) and you only get one so a little terrifying to install, but it's been great! And they claim it has a lifetime guarantee, so they theoretically would send me a new one if I complained.

The installation is interesting...the back side isn't super adhesive, but they give you a solution and mini spray bottle that you put on your fingers and then all over the back of the shield. You then squeege out the bubbles to the edges and mop it up. They said that the microbubbles would go away after a day or so, and that's absolutely true. It peeled up a little by the edge, but I reset it with some of the solution and so far so good (may be the fault of my case pushing on it a little).

This one is anti-glare, anti-smudge and now that I'm used to it, I LOVE it. I will say that the people who warn about a mild degradation in picture quality are partially right. It doesn't really lead to a lower quality viewing experience, just "different". The brightness shines through perfectly, but it's a little fuzzy, almost like a feint mist. However, that's the trade-off that you get for reduced glare and ESPECIALLY reduced fingerprints. Seriously, I essentially never have to wipe my screen. Another underappreciated benefit of it is that your fingers don't stick to the device as easily on the matte finish, which makes games and gestures easier to play.

Hope this is helpful to someone. Thanks for the help.

P.S. - To the person above who said that I could have got a replacement one from Otterbox, they're probably 100% right. However, I had a bad experience with that one and wanted to try the anti-glare, so I just went and picked out my own.

I didn't care for this particular screen protector. I ended up taking it off as I thought it took to much of the clarity away from the display. I used the anti glare from the Apple store which was a much better result and less money (2pk).

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I didn't care for this particular screen protector. I ended up taking it off as I thought it took to much of the clarity away from the display. I used the anti glare from the Apple store which was a much better result and less money (2pk).

So far, the clarity issue is not an issue for me. It literally took 2 hours for me to get used to it. But in the future, if this protector peels or otherwise fails, perhaps I'll switch to the one you're talking about.

I trimmed back a slight bit of the top with the hopes that my Otterbox was responsible for peeling off the top of the shield. I suspect that's what's going on because none of the other edges are peeling back at all.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
So far, the clarity issue is not an issue for me. It literally took 2 hours for me to get used to it. But in the future, if this protector peels or otherwise fails, perhaps I'll switch to the one you're talking about.

I trimmed back a slight bit of the top with the hopes that my Otterbox was responsible for peeling off the top of the shield. I suspect that's what's going on because none of the other edges are peeling back at all.

Zagg also just recently released an InvisibleShield HD for the iPhone 4/4S. I am tempted to try Zagg again.

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Mine has a small hairline scratch on the screen and I always keep it in an interior pocket in my bag, designated only for my phone. No clue how it got there, but it's got a screen protector on it now. :(

That happened to mine. It is a small, very fine scratch, but it's there. :( I always put it in the same pocket in my handbag by itself. I have Invisible Shield on it now.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
That happened to mine. It is a small, very fine scratch, but it's there. :( I always put it in the same pocket in my handbag by itself. I have Invisible Shield on it now.

I am 99.9% always careful handling my iPhone. I went 2 weeks without a protector as a trial. I loved the retina display but I kept wondering if it would be safe

I literally just put back the Otterbox screen shield that came with my Commuter. I heard a beeping. It was my smoke alarm battery that needed changing. I was swapping a 9 volt battery for the smoke alarm in my house standing on a small step stool and I dropped the old battery.
It fell onto my iPhone screen. The screen protector has a scratch! But when I took it off to replace it with an extra one Otterbox sent me there is NO scratch on the glass! Everything IS fine.

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Would the iPhone be durable with it? I mean I tried best skin ever and it gave a horrible result, orange skin, dust and scratches.

Even cheap adhesive ones don't work, so all I can do now is go without one... that a good idea?

Zagg is a great brand for screen protectors. They are pricey, however they offer a lifetime warranty and they resist scratches and finger smudges.

I don't use a new iOS device until I get a screen protector! Call me OCD, but I want the screen undefiled until I can protect it from my pocket and my smudgy fingers. :)

My backpacks got jets....

v6mikey

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I would never be without a protector now, but I have found it very hard to find one that I am happy with. I have a scratched iPhone and iPad because I thought they were sratch resistant!!

I would not recommend zagg at all. I took mine off after 12 hours. It had orange peel, felt sticky and was already scratched.

I have ended up with a media devil protector and I am very happy.