VZW customers might want read this

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
DailyTech - Quick Note: Verizon Readies $2 "Convenience Fee" for Online, Phone Payments

If it isn't the banks trying to nickel and dime consumers, there's always some other industry that?s willing to step up to plate and milk customers for a few extra dollars every month. Today, we learn that the largest wireless carrier in the United States, Verizon Wireless, is going to start implementing a $2 convenience fee on payments made over the phone and even online.
Customers who pay by electronic check (ACH) and those that enroll in AutoPay using any payment method won't have to worry about the fee. However, if you are one of the old school folks that like to pay by phone or if you for some reason like paying your bills online every month without the use of AutoPay, be prepared to fork over some extra cash.
News of the convenience fee comes shortly after Verizon experienced three of data outages across the United States in Dec alone

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

FritzDaCat

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, it doesn't apply to a lot of transactions that I can think of-- maybe someone can cite a example of a transaction that this would apply to. For instance, it doesn't apply to my bills being paid through the bill pay function on my bank's website. I can understand why Verizon doesn't want to cover the charge for payments via ATM or credit card through My Verizon or any other payment where Verizon is on the hook as the point-of-sale merchant-- in which case they have to pay a fee of approx 1-3%.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
ya know, this is BS. I can see if you don't pay your bill on time and they wanna hit ya with a late fee if your 10+ days late with payment, but i've been a LOYAL VzW customer for over 8+yrs. and pay my bill in a timely manner, yes online or thru my phone.

It ridiculous how these companies can get away with nickel and dime-ing customers, especially at how costly having data plans are nowadays. :rolleyes: its VERY frustrating !! :mad:

Over the course of a year at $2 comes out to $24. Its not alot of money, but why do i have to give that away just to pay a bill.

looks like i will be paying thru electronic ck or just set up the auto pay at this point to avoid the fee

(ps-thx for posting up the info Cleveland)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cleveland

neur0tk

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Good thing I pay my bill online! no wonder why the country is so damn poor! the government let's BIG COMPANIES to get away with this sh1t... it's bad enough they charge us ridiculous prices for DATA PLANS and lock us into 2yr contracts.. now they want to take our penny candy money away from us ALSO.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just not true-- only Verizon-assisted payments.

Feel free to show me where I've missed something-- I have no problem with that.

Go and read the screen-shot of the official verizon poop on the link posted - it specifically states the only payments not covered by this fee are auto-pay and ACH transactions. Could not be more obvious.

conveniencefee.jpg

See??? The part that starts, "The fee is waived..."

Last edited:

FritzDaCat

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Go and read the screen-shot of the official verizon poop on the link posted - it specifically states the only payments not covered by this fee are auto-pay and ACH transactions. Could not be more obvious.

"A $2.00 convenience fee applies to bill payments made by phone (IVR and rep-assisted) and on-line (My Verizon and My Verizon Mobile)."

That's it. Only when Verizon has to process your payment and pay the point-of-sale fee to the credit card company. IVR, rep-assisted, My Verizon, My Verizon Mobile. Period.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
"
That's it. Only when Verizon has to process your payment and pay the point-of-sale fee to the credit card company. IVR, rep-assisted, My Verizon, My Verizon Mobile. Period.

The only way to not pay the fee is an ACH electronic check, or Auto-pay. Use any other method to pay your bill, you get hit for $2. Period.

FritzDaCat

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
The only way to not pay the fee is an ACH electronic check, or Auto-pay. Use any other method to pay your bill, you get hit for $2. Period.

Okay. I'm not going to argue with you-- I have no need to be "right". I'm actually trying to help.

You're a smart guy, you'll figure it out. If I'm wrong, I'll come back here and apologize for my mis-information.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You're a smart guy, you'll figure it out. If I'm wrong, I'll come back here and apologize for my mis-information.

I'm taking Verizon at their word. It says what it says in the picture posted... I can see it just fine. The fee is waived when using ACH or auto pay. That means any other payment method is subject to the fee. One does not need to be smart to read what's plainly in front of them, and be able to figure it out.

Kehjj04

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Wow that's really annoying. I would be pissed if I were a Verizon Wireless customer.

Why? It's 5.28 a year to mail it out (stamps) is much rather pay 20 bucks more a year to avoid going into the post office! 2 extra bucks def won't stop me from paying over the phone

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Click to view quoted image

See??? The part that starts, "The fee is waived..."

I'm glad I have had auto-pay set up for the past few years. I don't want/need to give them any more money.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Customers Encouraged to Use Options to Avoid Single Payment Fee That Starts Jan. 15

Verizon Wireless offers customers numerous free and simple payment options and we encourage customers to use those options. Starting January 15, a new $2 payment convenience fee will be instituted for customers who make single bill payments online or by telephone. There are a couple of exceptions. See below. The fee will help allow us to continue to support these single bill payment options in these channels and is designed to address costs incurred by us for only those customers who choose to make single bill payments in alternate payment channels (online, mobile, telephone). It is waived for those who pay by electronic check or enroll in AutoPay -- we encourage customers to use those or other payment options that incur no fees. [See complete list below.] The telephone and online single payment fee, which takes effect January 15, will be disclosed up-front and throughout the transaction.

There are numerous payment options available to our customers where the fee is waived or where no fee applies. They include:

1. Electronic check online (My Verizon Online, My Verizon Mobile/Handset). Fee waived.
  2. Electronic check via telephone. Fee waived.
  3. Enrollment in AutoPay using credit/debit/ATM card or electronic check; fee does not apply.
  4. Online from the customer?s home-banking service provider website; fee does not apply.
  5. Credit/debit/ATM card, electronic check or cash at a Bill Payment Kiosk, Panel or with a representative at a Verizon Wireless Communications Store; fee does not apply.
  6. Use of a Verizon Wireless Gift Card or Verizon Wireless device Rebate Card to pay a bill in-store, online or by telephone; fee does not apply.
  7. Paper check or money order mailed to the VZW remit address on customer?s bill; fee does not apply.

Some clarity...