See you in the future!

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been somewhat of a cellphone slut lately, and have gone from an iPhone 4, to a Bionic, back to an iPhone 4, to a Razr, and now to a Nexus. If you're getting an Android phone on VZW, I would recommend the Nexus, but I'd still probably recommend a 4S over any of them, as I'm still considering switching - as long as my wife doesn't beat me. Here's my take on it:

iOS, as everyone on this site knows, is ridiculously stable. If you want a phone that is reliable over anything, you can't go wrong with a 4 or a 4S. The battery is strong, as in, when I had my 4 it would occasionally die after a day of beating the hell out of it, but a charge a night while I was sleeping and I knew I would be solid all day. I've never trusted a phone more than an iPhone in knowing that it will just function like it's supposed to.

On any of my recent LTE Android phones, you're looking at 2-3 charges (or at least partial charges of half an hour or more) to make it through the day. Which is unacceptable. This was even the case for me if I put it in 3G only. The only time it would make it through the day is if I didn't touch it at all - but what's the point in that? That being said, I do really like the Nexus, but I just can't decide if I want to keep it and keep the charge cycle going. It really is a pain. And yes, I had most syncing apps turned off and my battery life was still terrible.

And for those of you lusting after 4G speeds, it's pretty useless. The only thing it's good for is downloading apps and streaming. But it DESTROYS your battery, so you have to be near a charger. It's pointless if you have a solid wi-fi connection, as those speeds are almost the same.

As for the cameras, this is easily iPhone's battle to lose. I've never seen better quality and quicker pictures taken with any phone. The RAZR camera was worse than my old BB Storm's. It was terrible. The colors sucked, it was slow, and I tended to miss the shot by the time it happened. Anyone telling you different is on drugs. Now the Nexus has a better camera, speed-wise, over the RAZR, but the picture quality isn't equal to my iPhone 4.

If you love to tinker, and mess around with your phone, get an Android phone. If you want the stablest of stable phones, go with an iPhone - and you'll still be able to tinker a bit. But just get what you like and be happy with it. There are good aspects and bad aspects to every phone - but I honestly think that iPhone's have the least issues of anything.

Don't know if this helps anyone, but just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Eli4S

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather use the original razr then lay my hands on that. I hate android... they wish they have 1/2 of what apple has to offer... enjoy your palm.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
@Wildo6882

I'm in your same boat. With switching between iPhone4s, Nexus and Razr I dont know how much longer my marriage is going to last!! hahahaha

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
@Wildo6882

I'm in your same boat. With switching between iPhone4s, Nexus and Razr I dont know how much longer my marriage is going to last!! hahahaha

Ha, yep. After my most recent switch to the Nexus my wife said I had to keep the phone for at least 6 months (or until she got a new phone, so I offered to buy her a new one right now - haha). But I honestly don't blame her for complaining, I have had 7 phones (counting the current Nexus) since July. It gets a bit expensive.

Back on topic - to reiterate my post, there isn't a perfect phone, but for a phone that does everything pretty damn well, stick to an iPhone. To get a little more bang for your buck on customization, go with Android. And I'm trying to figure out which route I want. Pretty sure if I go 4S, it'll be the last phone I have until contract time in March of 2013...so I gotta make this choice count!

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I too have finally given up and settled with the Android device. I think I decided to do it mostly because I like the ability to customize my screens a bit more. That, and the 20MB d/l over Wifi only, steered me into the Android direction.

I am interested to see what the new iPhone has to offer though....but for now I gave my wife the 4s so I can still play with it whenever I want to.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
And of course as soon as I say I am sticking with the Android device I get "kicked in the balls" by Motorola and they release a "new and improved" version of the phone I have had for ONE week. Its going back tomorrow and I am going back to my iPhone 4s.Motorola has lost all credibility for me now. They literally release a new phone every other month.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Geez.. is this still going on? Well, I can say one thing about the Android, if you don't like what you have, just wait a couple of months and something slicker and quicker will come out (except for the camera and battery).... but what the hey, you'll have the hottest looking home screen around. Kinda makes me wonder why I prefer the larger apps market and reliability of the iPhone... and oh yeah, I really dig the camera too, But we all know that Android must be better with the constant stream of improved phones (except for... well, you know)... :cool:
BTW, it's always interesting to pop over to the Droid forums and see what they're saying over there. They're such a happy and satisfied group of customers, always having a new toy to look forward to in a month or so...:D

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I used to love Motorola but this new phone every month stuff is irritating to say the least!! I know nothing is truly future proof but this is too much!!

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually loving my Galaxy Nexus right now, but my 4S is tempting me to no end. My only real issue is the battery life. Even on 3G it dies in around 12 hours off the charger. The stability, battery life, screen, and camera of the 4S is just sick and really tough to ignore. So I may be jumping ship. At least I'll have the latest and greatest iPhone until October or November. :D

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The Motorola Razr is an amazing device, and there's no question that for some tech-oriented people, it will offer things that they can't do on iPhone. But the built-in advantages of Apple cannot be ignored. I had a library of music and apps (from iPad) ALREADY built up before I ever got my iPhone. If you're a customization fiend, then Google is probably the way to go.

But as for the 4G thing, yeah, I was disappointed to hear that 4s wouldn't support it. But then started researching what 4G phones actually work like now, and thinking about my plan. Most people are not on Sprint or do not have huge monthly data plans. 2GB will go in a hurry, and so will 4 or 5GB if you're not paying attention to downloading, streaming, and other usage. Even though this is a "mobile device", I'm using it on WiFi probably 80% of the time at home and work.

And, of course, the RAZR is $299 (vs. $199) on a 2-yr plan and has other drawbacks like battery life, etc. Also (and this is completely anecdotal), Motorola may make some cool phones, but from personal experience and the experience of friend with Droids, there are some serious hardware issues (see: Motorola Razr, 2005 version).

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The Motorola Razr is an amazing device, and there's no question that for some tech-oriented people, it will offer things that they can't do on iPhone. But the built-in advantages of Apple cannot be ignored. I had a library of music and apps (from iPad) ALREADY built up before I ever got my iPhone. If you're a customization fiend, then Google is probably the way to go.

But as for the 4G thing, yeah, I was disappointed to hear that 4s wouldn't support it. But then started researching what 4G phones actually work like now, and thinking about my plan. Most people are not on Sprint or do not have huge monthly data plans. 2GB will go in a hurry, and so will 4 or 5GB if you're not paying attention to downloading, streaming, and other usage. Even though this is a "mobile device", I'm using it on WiFi probably 80% of the time at home and work.

And, of course, the RAZR is $299 (vs. $199) on a 2-yr plan and has other drawbacks like battery life, etc. Also (and this is completely anecdotal), Motorola may make some cool phones, but from personal experience and the experience of friend with Droids, there are some serious hardware issues (see: Motorola Razr, 2005 version).

In my experience with 4G I've noticed that it is really only useful for three things: 1) streaming video or music; 2) downloading a lot of apps real quick; and 3) sucking the life out of your battery.

In all the 4G Android devices I've used (Bionic, Razr, Nexus) I've always turned it off when I wasn't using it. When trying to decide if I want to use my Nexus or 4S, 4G doesn't even come into the equation because it really is a non issue. Yeah it's cool, but you can't leave it on unless you are at a chsrger all day long.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's like bragging about having a sports car with tons of power that can only drive 5 miles on a tank of gas...good luck with all that, i'll stick with my iPhone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I loved my EVO 4G and especially the 4G speed. Battery drain was not really an issue because I was using a Siedio 3500 extended battery. Furthermore, battery drain due to the use of 4G was evident in areas where there was little 4G coverage. Battery drainage in areas where there was great 4G coverage, at least in my experience, was not as prevalent. Still, I found that 3G speeds here in Orlando is sufficient for my usage and thus is a nonissue in regard to how well the iPhone 4S performs even though it lacks LTE/4G ability. I'm not an Apple fanboy and I have had no allegiance to any device except Blackberry devices a few years back. Android devices can do much more than the current crop of iPhones, however, the simplicity, ability to go from one one iOS device to the other with ease and my investment into Apple products (iPhone 4S, iPad 2, MacBook as well as software & apps) makes it a no-brained for me.

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
In my experience with 4G I've noticed that it is really only useful for three things: 1) streaming video or music; 2) downloading a lot of apps real quick; and 3) sucking the life out of your battery.

In all the 4G Android devices I've used (Bionic, Razr, Nexus) I've always turned it off when I wasn't using it. When trying to decide if I want to use my Nexus or 4S, 4G doesn't even come into the equation because it really is a non issue. Yeah it's cool, but you can't leave it on unless you are at a chsrger all day long.

That's a pretty good analogy. And items #1 and #2 are things that I pretty much exclusively do over WiFi anyway, not so much because of speed but because I don't want to use that much cellular data, irrespective of speed. And WiFi is EVERYWHERE nowadays.

If I'm at a barber shop or somewhere where the internet connection prevents me from being really bored, it's not going to really bother me that my web page took 10-15 seconds to load instead of 5 seconds. Yes, we all want the latest and greatest, and I'm sure 4G will be the standard by the time I buy my next (Apple?) phone, but that doesn't mean I have to have it now.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I loved my EVO 4G and especially the 4G speed. Battery drain was not really an issue because I was using a Siedio 3500 extended battery.

I had an extended battery on my Droid thae last 6 months or so that I used it. Made the phone much thicker and eliminated using a belt holster, a pain in the anatomy to say the least. Before the extended battery, I had difficulty getting the Doid to last a full day, which isnot a problem with the 4s and it's much more compact. Nope, don't need a sports car tha goes really, really fast, but fo only 5 miles. Deffinately well describes the Android battery culture.

I find it intersesting that the Android format does have more capibilities (mostly bells and whistles), but I use my iPhone much more frequently and for more things. In short, for me it has a lot more real time usefulness that the Android had.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner