Unlocked GSM iPhone 4S:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of unlocked iPhone 4S's, every Apple store in my area is completely sold out of them. Really surprised actually.

In my area as well. That is why I finally gave up on waiting and ordered it online. I figured for all the time that I've spent waiting, I might get it quicker by just having it shipped to my house.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Still wont get MMS to work unfortunately. All this does is plugs in the settings for you so you dont have to.
Does iMessage work? This is a feature that I use a lot on my iPhone 4. Since most of the people that I hang with have an iPhone, it saves me a lot on pay per use SMS charges.

snowbutterfly

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
iMessage

Does iMessage work? This is a feature that I use a lot on my iPhone 4. Since most of the people that I hang with have an iPhone, it saves me a lot on pay per use SMS charges.

hmm - I'm checking my message log - I don't recall if I've used iMessage away from wi-fi, so I can't tell you for sure.

I've been using the Viber app for free texting internationally with people while travelling - and I know that operates on data. I assume that iMessage will work between iOS devices on wi-fi *and* 3G networks. apple.com/ios/features.html#imessage

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
hmm - I'm checking my message log - I don't recall if I've used iMessage away from wi-fi, so I can't tell you for sure.

I've been using the Viber app for free texting internationally with people while travelling - and I know that operates on data. I assume that iMessage will work between iOS devices on wi-fi *and* 3G networks. apple.com/ios/features.html#imessage

Yeah, this is what I thought, but wasn't sure how an unlocked device would handle iMessaging.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Doesn't iMessage require 3G or wifi?

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site

That is the nice thing...sort of. iMessage DOES work AND when chatting with anther user via iMessage, MMS WILL WORK. Once it turns to text based, it stops.

Reactions: Eileen89

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That is the nice thing...sort of. iMessage DOES work AND when chatting with anther user via iMessage, MMS WILL WORK. Once it turns to text based, it stops.

This is what I was looking to hear, thanks. IMessage sounds like it is a good work around for you in terms of MMS.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I ended up sending the 32GB factory unlocked iPhone 4S back to Apple and using the app store app to reserve the 64GB factory unlocked 4S, which I picked up the next day in NJ. I have had it for three weeks and it works great. I only used it with my prepaid T-Mobile SIM for one day to make sure it works. Everything worked except MMS as mentioned. However, everything with my postpaid AT&T SIM works great, there was no need to change any settings. It's nice to have another unlocked iPhone again that works with both of my GSM providers. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Glad you like it. I have had several factory unlocked iphones (4 and 4s, I already warrantied my 4s twice for bad camera and bad wifi radio). Once unlocked, always unlocked. Including any warranty replacement you get. iPhones are locked on Apples end, so when you warranty one it transfers over the unlocked status to the new phone. FYI, I just found that out myself and thought I would pass it on.

You just stick in a SIM card and it activates on that network. I have no idea about the T-Mobile MMS issue though as I am in Canada.

Reactions: Eileen89

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Glad you like it. I have had several factory unlocked iphones (4 and 4s, I already warrantied my 4s twice for bad camera and bad wifi radio). Once unlocked, always unlocked. Including any warranty replacement you get. iPhones are locked on Apples end, so when you warranty one it transfers over the unlocked status to the new phone. FYI, I just found that out myself and thought I would pass it on.

You just stick in a SIM card and it activates on that network. I have no idea about the T-Mobile MMS issue though as I am in Canada.

Hey, thanks. I didn't know any warrantied replacements would be unlocked too, very cool.

david9962000

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
So will everything work on a post paid at&t account with the proper data package? I just ordered mine at apple.com. MMS,iMessage...

Thanks.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So will everything work on a post paid at&t account with the proper data package? I just ordered mine at apple.com. MMS,iMessage...

Thanks.

Yes. I have postpaid account with AT&T, and everything works fine on my factory unlocked 4S including MMS and iMessage. :)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
They'd better be, that's what we (who sprung for factory- unlocked phones) all paid for!

Owning a factory unlocked does not mean it will "support" every wireless carries features. Unfortunately, while my T-Mobile sim works fine on my 4S, MMS does not.....

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods