4.4 Mbps on HSPA+ AT&T
    12-29-2011 09:35 AM
    4.4 Mbps on HSPA+ AT&T
    Do you mean 4.4Mbps is the top speed? If so, that is definitely not HSPA+. I'm getting 5.98Mbps now on my iPhone 4.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
    12-29-2011 09:44 AM
    Sorry that was supposed to be a 14 not a 4
    12-29-2011 09:45 AM
    Sorry that was supposed to be a 14 not a 4
    That makes sense, thanks. I just wanted to make sure that the factory unlocked 4S would support both 3G and HSPA+ for AT&T.

12-29-2011 09:51 AM
    Got my factory unlocked from Australia. Have used it all around Asia without a prob. Congrats! You'll love it.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    12-29-2011 09:54 AM
    Forgot to mention it was a 3GS..
    12-29-2011 09:55 AM
    Hey Irish Rose,

I also have an unlocked iPhone 4s and a pre=paid AT &T sim. In order for me to get the data working, I have to plug in the APN carrier settings. Another forum somewhere had pointed me towards unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/ World Wide Mobile Phone Settings

There you can find many different carriers. If you visit www unlockit.co.nz (Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone) from your iPhone it will do an automatic setup.

I now switch between Rogers (my main carrier) to AT & T when I need to.

Just as a heads up - also when installing the SIM, make sure to give it a full minute or two for the SIM to register. I've freaked out a couple of times when the phone keeps "searching" for the carrier thinking the SIM isn't taking, but eventually it finds the carrier.

Congrats on the new unlocked iPhone!

(Sorry for the non-direct links, forum won't let me post full URLs just yet.)
    Eileen89 likes this.
    12-29-2011 10:03 AM
    ^ Thanks for the info, snowbutterfly.

snowbutterfly likes this.
    12-29-2011 10:13 AM
    I want to buy an iphone4 unlocked, cancel rogers account, then go shopping for a data plan. Is this possible with a phone like an ipad.
    Hey ranallyons - Are you still on a contract with Rogers? Just watch out if you have to pay an early cancellation fee.

I chose to buy unlocked Rogers because they wanted to charge me $350 early upgrade fee on top of the cost of the new hardware upgrade and yet another activation fee. This would be close to $800 including tax, so Apple's unlocked iPhone 4S was easily a better option for close to the same amount.

I don't know about the plans with iPad - but I would think it works the same way.
    12-29-2011 10:13 AM
    There you can find many different carriers. If you visit www unlockit.co.nz (Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone) from your iPhone it will do an automatic setup.
    I just went to this URL from safari on my iPhone 4 and it said the server could not be found. Does this only work if you're jailbroken?

12-29-2011 10:22 AM
    I think the T-Mobile stores in my area are hurting for business because there never seems to be anyone in their stores, so I think no matter which one I go to they would not give me a free micro sim. I'm not even going to try and cut my regular T-Mobile sim down to size as I've tried this with sim cards before and could never get them right.

I totally thought I would botch the DIY microsim process but it's not that bad. I used this template:
    stochasticgeometry.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/DIY_microsim.pdf

(via youtube.com/watch?v=6B0G_qjebJY)
    12-29-2011 10:23 AM
    I just went to this URL from safari on my iPhone 4 and it said the server could not be found. Does this only work if you're jailbroken?

I had to leave the period from in between the www
    go to www-unlockit.co.nz

(but replace the dash with a ".")

It should redirect to the "APN changer" setup pages on your iPhone. I just tried it again now...

(No jailbreaking necessary.)
    Last edited by snowbutterfly; 12-29-2011 at 10:30 AM.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    12-29-2011 10:26 AM
    I had to leave the period from in between the www
    go to www-unlockit.co.nz

(but replace the dash with a ".")

It should redirect to the "APN changer" setup pages on your iPhone. I just tried it again now...

(No jailbreaking necessary.)
    Thanks! This worked perfectly. I did leave out the . before as I just copy and pasted the link to my browser.

12-29-2011 10:48 AM
    Still wont get MMS to work unfortunately. All this does is plugs in the settings for you so you dont have to.
    12-29-2011 03:38 PM
    Speaking of unlocked iPhone 4S's, every Apple store in my area is completely sold out of them. Really surprised actually.
    12-29-2011 03:40 PM
    Speaking of unlocked iPhone 4S's, every Apple store in my area is completely sold out of them. Really surprised actually.
    In my area as well. That is why I finally gave up on waiting and ordered it online. I figured for all the time that I've spent waiting, I might get it quicker by just having it shipped to my house.

12-29-2011 03:43 PM
    Still wont get MMS to work unfortunately. All this does is plugs in the settings for you so you dont have to.
    Does iMessage work? This is a feature that I use a lot on my iPhone 4. Since most of the people that I hang with have an iPhone, it saves me a lot on pay per use SMS charges.

12-29-2011 03:46 PM
    Does iMessage work? This is a feature that I use a lot on my iPhone 4. Since most of the people that I hang with have an iPhone, it saves me a lot on pay per use SMS charges.

hmm - I'm checking my message log - I don't recall if I've used iMessage away from wi-fi, so I can't tell you for sure.

I've been using the Viber app for free texting internationally with people while travelling - and I know that operates on data. I assume that iMessage will work between iOS devices on wi-fi *and* 3G networks. apple.com/ios/features.html#imessage
    12-29-2011 03:55 PM
    Yes, I believe that MMS doesn't work through the carrier - but I don't know if iMessage will circumvent that.

(Also, I know Viber does.)
    12-29-2011 03:57 PM
    hmm - I'm checking my message log - I don't recall if I've used iMessage away from wi-fi, so I can't tell you for sure.

I've been using the Viber app for free texting internationally with people while travelling - and I know that operates on data. I assume that iMessage will work between iOS devices on wi-fi *and* 3G networks. apple.com/ios/features.html#imessage
    Yeah, this is what I thought, but wasn't sure how an unlocked device would handle iMessaging.

12-29-2011 04:32 PM

Doesn't iMessage require 3G or wifi?
    12-29-2011 05:52 PM
    Doesn't iMessage require 3G or wifi?
    Yes, it works for either one of these connections.

12-29-2011 06:09 PM

That is the nice thing...sort of. iMessage DOES work AND when chatting with anther user via iMessage, MMS WILL WORK. Once it turns to text based, it stops.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    12-29-2011 06:38 PM
    That is the nice thing...sort of. iMessage DOES work AND when chatting with anther user via iMessage, MMS WILL WORK. Once it turns to text based, it stops.
    This is what I was looking to hear, thanks. IMessage sounds like it is a good work around for you in terms of MMS.

12-29-2011 10:41 PM
    I ended up sending the 32GB factory unlocked iPhone 4S back to Apple and using the app store app to reserve the 64GB factory unlocked 4S, which I picked up the next day in NJ. I have had it for three weeks and it works great. I only used it with my prepaid T-Mobile SIM for one day to make sure it works. Everything worked except MMS as mentioned. However, everything with my postpaid AT&T SIM works great, there was no need to change any settings. It's nice to have another unlocked iPhone again that works with both of my GSM providers.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 01-26-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    01-26-2012 06:01 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD