First day with iPhone 4S

neur0tk

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
So I got my iPhone 4S yesterday! I unpacked it and was like wow! this is a pretty device. I like how the device felt in my hand compared to my HTC Incredible 2. I got everything loaded up and such. I setup my Gmail as Exchange so I could pull all my contacts over to my phone from my Google account. I tell you one thing it's going to take awhile to get used to iOS over Android way of things. I like how you can choose different configurations for notifications or what not. I am missing having my Gtalk application, does anyone know a good app to use for the iPhone to get Gtalk? also what is a good Navigation application that would compare or be better than Google's navigation? Also does everyone leave the location services on and just turn it off for certain apps to not access the current location? So what about diagnostics & usage under Location Services > System Services?... I keep playing with my iPhone 4s and becoming more and more amazed on how smooth everything works. I am glad I made the switch from Android to iPhone... the more and more I tinker with it, the more comfortable I will be with the device... if anyone has any tips suggestions for me please feel free to post here. I am so glad to become part of this community now with my iPhone 4s as my daily driver!!!!!!!

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I use Beejive for IM messaging. Implements gtalk, fb, aol, yahoo, etc.

I use Navigon for navigation. I know some out there dont like Navigon since Navigon took them over. Since then they kind of took away the free lifetime maps upgrade that Navigon offered. HOWEVER, it is the most polished and accurate GPS navigation app. I have used them all and I like Navigon the best. Google Navigation is cool but I never liked that it was dependent on having a signal.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
As for location services, I leave most on. There are a few games and such that I leave off and maybe a few apps that I dont use enough for it to warrant me having my location enabled. I am sure if you turn them all off then you battery will do even better but that defeats the purpose of your phone. I run unlocked on T-Mobile so EDGE is all I get and my battery lasts quite a while.

neur0tk

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
As for location services, I leave most on. There are a few games and such that I leave off and maybe a few apps that I dont use enough for it to warrant me having my location enabled. I am sure if you turn them all off then you battery will do even better but that defeats the purpose of your phone. I run unlocked on T-Mobile so EDGE is all I get and my battery lasts quite a while.

I am not worried about the battery life! it's a smartphone :) does a lot of things so it's going to eat battery away and I am always on my phone... I really enjoy this phone! I am grouping all my applications in a folder.. I don't like how you have to keep the system applications, I guess that's why people like to jailbreak as well :)

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Jailbreaking was a draw for me last year but I have since lost all interested. My iPhones over the years always did something bizarre after jailbreaking. I just hide all Apple apps in a folder and ignore it. The only downside for new users is getting used to the fact that if you use your iPhone constantly you have to bring your charger with you or buy an external battery case.

neur0tk

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Jailbreaking was a draw for me last year but I have since lost all interested. My iPhones over the years always did something bizarre after jailbreaking. I just hide all Apple apps in a folder and ignore it. The only downside for new users is getting used to the fact that if you use your iPhone constantly you have to bring your charger with you or buy an external battery case.

Right... I keep my charger in my laptop bag so it's constantly with me.. some people think they should get awesome battery life like the flip phones of old... I don't think I am going to jailback I am going to run mine stock and I have created a folder named system and have it hiding on the second page :) no biggie... biggest thing for me was all the different ways to setup up notifications for the apps, I think I have that setup how I want it... emoji keyboard is just to much fun!!! haha and iMessage is the bee's knee's!!!

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
What's nice for me is that just about all the place I go someone has an iPhone, iPod, iPad charger laying around. In fact I tend to see more of these chargers that people have handy than micro/mini USB and others.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Coming from Android there is no doubt getting used to iOS is going to take some time. I recently tried the HTC Rezound on Verizon and the moment I powered on the device I was sure I would never return to my iPhone 4 again. However, one week after using it and having to connect it to a charger 2 and sometimes even 3 times with heavy usage, I gladly came back to the iPhone. I wasn't going to bulk the Rezound up even more with a extended battery when the standard battery made it bulky enough. With my iPhone 4 I can easily get 6 hours of heavy usage out of it and 16 hours of standby time as well, although I usually get more time than that most days.... There are some things that I really like and miss about Android, one of them being the quick toggles in the notification bar. Also, even though widgets do drain the battery somewhat they were still nice to have. On the Rezound there were 4 quick icons on the lock screen that you could use to jump directly into an application once it was unlocked, that was a really nice feature to have and one that I used a lot. Hopefully the next big iOS update from Apple will come with a few of these nice features. One nice feature that iOS has that Android doesn't is iMessage. I really missed that when I was using the Rezound....Now as far as your question about Navigation goes, I used Googles stock App on the Rezound and did not care for it as much as Navigon. I've been using Navigon on my iPhones for 2 years and it just seems to get better and better with each update. I like how it alerts me with the word "caution" when I am going over the speed limit in the area that I am traveling in, although sometimes I do admit that I get tired of hearing that word. Navigon seemed to do a better job with alerting me of the turns that I needed to make ahead of time and again just as I am coming up to them. Navigon does a better job with street names as well which is really helpful if you are traveling on a lot of back roads.... As you continue to use your new iPhone 4S you will find some things that you miss about Android, however, I believe you will find more things to like about iOS. There should be an untethered Jailbreak available for the 4S which should help you customize your 4S a lot and get back some features that it is lacking over Android.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
The iphone 3G was my first smartphone experience in 2008! Before that I had a motorola razr! I bought an iPhone 4 in June 2010 and last month, I got the 4S.

I don't what other non-iOS smartphones are like except from seeing friends with theirs.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

neur0tk

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
The iphone 3G was my first smartphone experience in 2008! Before that I had a motorola razr! I bought an iPhone 4 in June 2010 and last month, I got the 4S.

I don't what other non-iOS smartphones are like except from seeing friends with theirs.

Excellent.. my first smartphone was HTC Incredible then I went to the HTC Incredible 2 this past summer and I was like this is cool.. then my friends starting getting iPhones and I was like this is my next route.. I am never going back to Android, plus the Android community is to hard to keep up with and the users are rude and think they are the best... I am glad I can call this forum home! you people rock here!

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Its not the community in general, it is just certain users who swear that the OS they are using is the end all of al OS's. Each has a pro and con.

neur0tk

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Its not the community in general, it is just certain users who swear that the OS they are using is the end all of al OS's. Each has a pro and con.

I agree with you on that!! There is just a new phone out everyone two months within the Android realm of things and it's hard to keep up with hah I am satisfied I took this route

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I agree with you on that!! There is just a new phone out everyone two months within the Android realm of things and it's hard to keep up with hah I am satisfied I took this route

It's called the after effects of using a fragmented OS. It's because the Android OS has so many different devices it works with. All the users coming from that experience are fragmented. It gets confusing. I have seen my friends struggle with Android devices and they are very technical. They can't keep up with the new devices and what devices work with what OS versions. Android may have the smartphone marketshare BUT that has it's drawbacks.

For my job, I have to use Linux, Unix and Windows. At home, I use Windows and Mac. My Windows' machines frequently have issues with malware. There are so many holes in the Windows OS so I stopped using my Windows' machine to browse the internet. I personally like using Mac as my main computer for everything. I am not naive I know that MacOSX has some malware but overall, I don't worry as much when I am using my Mac to surf.

neur0tk

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
It's called the after effects of using a fragmented OS. It's because the Android OS has so many different devices it works with. All the users coming from that experience are fragmented. It gets confusing. I have seen my friends struggle with Android devices and they are very technical. They can't keep up with the new devices and what devices work with what OS versions. Android may have the smartphone marketshare BUT that has it's drawbacks.

For my job, I have to use Linux, Unix and Windows. At home, I use Windows and Mac. My Windows' machines frequently have issues with malware. There are so many holes in the Windows OS so I stopped using my Windows' machine to browse the internet. I personally like using Mac as my main computer for everything. I am not naive I know that MacOSX has some malware but overall, I don't worry as much when I am using my Mac to surf.

I agree with you 110% man!!!

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I agree with you 110% man!!!

Even more crazy is keeping track of all the new Android devices that seem to come out every week!
It's not just each manufacturer has an Android device. It's also that each company has more than 1 Android device. Their product lifecycles are maddening. I lost track but I think there are like at least 40 different Android phones out there? There might be more.

neur0tk

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I am sure there are more than 40 at this point.

Right, they just keep pushing and pushing devices out to keep people's interest!! this iPhone 4S is getting more and more exciting by the minute! I can't put it down for some reason!

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
What's nice for me is that just about all the place I go someone has an iPhone, iPod, iPad charger laying around. In fact I tend to see more of these chargers that people have handy than micro/mini USB and others.

Not to mention that many airlines are also offering USB ports in their seats on flights. A rental car I had a couple months ago had a USB charger inside the center console.

neur0tk

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Question; so is iMessage only iPhone 4S to iPhone 4S and not iPhone 4s to iPhone 4?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh