Switch from Android?

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi there! I've been a die hard android user for a couple of years now. I've had a bunch of different models, the most recently being my new Galaxy Nexus. For some reason lately, I've been thinking of getting an iPhone 4s, either that, or i will go back to my Incredible 2. I have a iPad 2, a MacBook pro and an iPod touch, and I love them all..... I just have a couple of reservations, maybe folks can help me overcome.

The first, and biggest, is screen size. When I look at my iPod touch, the screen is so tiny... I feel like I need reading glasses just to see the icons properly. However, I am not a gamer, and I don't watch a bunch of movies on my phone, I primarily need calendar, email, messaging, and a good camera (which sadly my gnex just does not have). How do you all feel about the screen size??

Next is that I am a google user. I have a ton of google contacts, and calendars. How's the integration? I have all of my calendars on my iPad, but I've never had to depend on the iPad the way I depend on my phone. I love that I add an appointment to my google calendar on the fly, and it's there on my google calendar when I'm back at my desk, or wherever.

Any words of advice? One compelling thought is that if I get an iPhone, even if I decide it's not for me, I'm sure I can sell it for much of its value after a few months. Most android phones are expensive close to release, but lose value like crazy within just a few months.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
You will get used to the smaller screen size (and higher dpi) quickly and come to appreciate how much smaller and easier to handle the iPhone is over a large Android phone. I have owned a few android phones with 4" or bigger displays and I don't miss them at all.

As for Gmail and google calendars; you can set them up as an exchange account on the iPhone and you have full access with syncing and push to your google contacts, calendars and email.....just like on Android phones. :)

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.

Reactions: jkmasi

spinecho

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It appears that you are very satisfied with all of the other apple products that you own and I really believe that the iPhone will not disappoint you. The screen size has never been a issue for me and I think you will quickly adjust. Due to the fact that you already own a ipad 2 and iPod touch, you will be able to jump right into usung the phone with little to no difficulty.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I love the google implementation on iPhone. It get all my contacts synced up (thanks exchange), email always pushes through and between my Macbook Pro, iPad and iPhone I get all my calendar entries updated and synced. I had the Galaxy Nexus for 4 days and dumped it. Terrible battery life and random reboots caused me to dump it.

krt72012

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
personally i think android is terrible compared to iOS. Ive had webOS, android, and now an iphone, and i love the iphone more than them all, although i still have a place in my heart for webOS haha

neur0tk

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I just got my iPhone 4s today! switching over from an Incredible 2... it's going to take some time getting used to iOS but I am liking it a lot already! what's the best application to use for Gtalk?

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of the helpful replies. I returned my gnex today and ordered a 4S (they were out of stock). I will be ok as I reactivated my Incredible 2, which is actually a great phone, to carry me over until the iPhone ships.

neur0tk

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes I am so happy I made the switch the iPhone is pretty slick and the screen is crisp getting used to setting up notifications and folders

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
If you have the Mac and other Apple products and love them, then you'll love the iPhone. I also made the switch after swearing by Android for 3 years. I have my Google Calendar already integrated with my iPhone and Mac Mini, because I still use Chrome on my Mac and like the ability to use the Calendar- but I am slowly phasing that out as of 2012 I'll be off the Google calendar totally. It's 100 times easier to use Siri to add calendar events and use iCal.
As for the screen, the difference in size is very minuscule. I think I can actually see the screen better because it's more vibrant that my old Droid X screen ever was, and much crisper. Makes it easy to read.
As far as being so absorbed in Google, I can understand the concern. I moved all my contacts over from one of my old Google backups using the instructions provided by Google for iPhone assimilation. It was pretty effortless. Get used to working with iCal and using the Cloud away from home for a hard calendar and for your address book syncs and you won't worry about it anymore. You'll love the phone. I'm never going back to Android, and I resisted the iPhone jump for over a year. I'm sold now.

Toher

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
From my experience, I'd stick with the Galaxy Nexus, however much I love the 4s. Or, if you just got the Nexus, wait until the iPhone 5 comes out (hopefully with 4G) and then go for it.

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
From my experience, I'd stick with the Galaxy Nexus, however much I love the 4s. Or, if you just got the Nexus, wait until the iPhone 5 comes out (hopefully with 4G) and then go for it.

Too late, I already returned the nexus. I'm using my Incredible 2 for now, while I wait for the iPhone. I never keep a phone more than about 6 months, and I figure that I can sell the iPhone when I'm ready for something new.

neur0tk

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Too late, I already returned the nexus. I'm using my Incredible 2 for now, while I wait for the iPhone. I never keep a phone more than about 6 months, and I figure that I can sell the iPhone when I'm ready for something new.

I am very satisfied with the 4s and I was a hardcore HTC INC and INC2 flashaholic. This phone runs smooth no random reboots or anything and push notifications work 100x better

Sent from my iNeuro 4S using Tapatalk

ironmountain

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Just came over from a Galaxy Android phone. Was sick of bloatware, 4billion phones coming out every week and very slow updates, if any. Wanted a "pure" experience. Decided to go to the "dark side" and get a 4s. (didn't feel like waiting for the Gnex to come to ATT, if at all).

I loved that Apple upgraded the hardware and the camera. I like that everyone gets an update at the same time.
Being that there is one phone (speaking of the 4S), it makes it so much easier for companies to churn out pretty much accessory you could think of for a phone. So the end user's choices are pretty much unlimited.
I actually like the size. It's nice to do everything one handed, vs having to put it in landscape and use 2 hands. And as people have said before regarding screen size, you do get used to it very quickly. I love the double tap feature in Safari that word wraps it to fit your screen.

I very much like the "make a folder and toss apps in it" feature. Cleans up your screens so well. label them, fill them.

Gave both kids Ipod Touch 4's this year for xmas, wife is getting an iPhone 4s from her office for business purposes. So we'll pretty much be Apple filled soon.

Trying to convince her to let me get a 27" iMac now instead of my Linux box....telling her that the kids use Apple computers at school hasn't worked yet....

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I just got my iPhone 4s today! switching over from an Incredible 2... it's going to take some time getting used to iOS but I am liking it a lot already! what's the best application to use for Gtalk?

Try an app called IMO it's free in the app store. I have tried IM+, Beejive,etc...& all of them have issues with losing connection except IMO.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh