Guys, i have a question, as far as i know the iphone 4s is a world phone, so that means that it would work for any carrier around the world? i mean i have the AT&T version but it seems ill be passing some time outside the us and i would like to know if i just need to insert the local carrier sim card into the tray or what?

Another question, is the iphone restricted inside the us ? like if it is supposed to be a world phone it should work for any carrier inside the us also :s , if i have an AT&T sim and my brother has a verizon sim would it work ? or for the us carriers needs to be unlocked?

Thanks in advance, Merry Christmas
    12-23-2011 11:21 PM
    Did you pay $649, $749, or $849 bucks for it (unless you had to for upgrade ineligible reasons)? No? Then it's not unlocked. You cannot put in a SIM from another carrier. AT&T will not unlock it. You have to pay their international fees.

The iPhone works anywhere in the world, but see above. Verizon doesn't use SIM cards unless it's an LTE device, so no, it wouldn't work.
    12-23-2011 11:35 PM
    As stated above Verizon only uses sims for LTE and for gsm networks roaming internationally ... Verizon here is CDMA (no sim)
    12-23-2011 11:48 PM
    Call AT&T and ask them. My guess is if you don't call the beforehand and try it out of the country - it'll roam and charge you a lot of money - if you call beforehand, you may be able to pay a fee to have it work where they have coverage outside the US.

Just found this link (Google is your friend):

AT&T International - Wireless from AT&T

Last edited by DZD; 12-24-2011 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Updated info
    12-24-2011 02:12 AM
    How to charge your iphone when traveling by plane?
    Good question but I dont think you're allowed to charge anything... I'd just take my charger with me at the airport to make sure it's 100% when I board...
    12-24-2011 07:23 AM
    The only way you can change carriers is if you purchased unlocked directly through Apple. If you bought unlocked through Verizon or Sprint, you will only be able to use SIM's from countries other than the US.
    12-24-2011 08:49 AM
    Good question but I dont think you're allowed to charge anything... I'd just take my charger with me at the airport to make sure it's 100% when I board...
    You can certainly charge it on properly equipped aircraft. You'd need the appropriate charger and/or cable.

The Ultimate Guide to In-Seat Laptop Power Ports
    12-24-2011 06:37 PM
    Is it sufficient to have a .5w usb output? The OEM charger is 1w output, but the auto inverter w/ AC and USB outputs that I'm interested in supposedly has only a .5w USB output. Thanks.
    Last edited by kenhiraihnl; 12-26-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    12-26-2011 12:18 PM
    Guys, i have a question, as far as i know the iphone 4s is a world phone, so that means that it would work for any carrier around the world? i mean i have the AT&T version but it seems ill be passing some time outside the us and i would like to know if i just need to insert the local carrier sim card into the tray or what?

Another question, is the iphone restricted inside the us ? like if it is supposed to be a world phone it should work for any carrier inside the us also :s , if i have an AT&T sim and my brother has a verizon sim would it work ? or for the us carriers needs to be unlocked?

Thanks in advance, Merry Christmas
    1.) Yes, it is a world phone and will theoretically work on any GSM or CDMA carrier in the world.

2.) World Phone does not = Unlocked phone. Yes, you can take it out of the US and use it abroad. But you can not simply use a local SIM. You have to call AT&T, tell them you will be traveling outside of the US, and pay the RIDICULOUS International Roaming Fees so that you can roam on whatever network AT&T has roaming agreements with in the country you will be visiting.

3.) Yes, all iPhones sold in the US are locked to the respective carrier you activated it on. The SIM that is found inside of the Verizon and Sprint iPhones is for just that, international roaming, not for service here in the states. Verizon and Sprint are CDMA networks and do not require a SIM card for service. Putting a Verizon SIM in an AT&T phone would do nothing because;
    A.) An AT&T iPhone is locked to AT&T.
    B.) A Verizon SIM card does not actually have access to Verizon's CDMA network, it is simply provided by Verizon for roaming on GSM networks outside of the US.
    Alternately, putting an AT&T SIM in a Verizon iPhone would do nothing because;
    A.) It was activated on a CDMA network and the GSM radio is disabled.
    B.) It will always try to connect to the strongest CDMA signal by default, with no option available to you to manually toggle it to GSM mode.

I hope I answered all of your questions as clearly as possible!
    Last edited by juan2three; 12-27-2011 at 09:50 PM.
    12-27-2011 08:52 PM
    Some of the first batch of ATT iPhone 4S's were actually unlocked from the very start. I know because I got one. If you got it at release, I would test it out with another carrier SIM. Doesnt hurt to try.
    12-28-2011 07:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD