I turned on my phone and it was totally unresponsive. I knew I had about 88% battery. I had been using some news apps before it happened. I did a hard reset and the phone came back fine and has been fine so far.

What can cause this to happen? Needless to say it was a scary moment.
    12-23-2011 12:36 PM
    What can cause this to happen?
    Random software anomaly. They happen once in a while... you restarted, and all is well... chalk it up to "stuff happens". If stuff happens frequently, then its time for a Genius Bar appointment for further diagnosis and treatment.
    RC28 likes this.
    12-23-2011 12:44 PM
    Random software anomaly. They happen once in a while... you restarted, and all is well... chalk it up to "stuff happens". If stuff happens frequently, then its time for a Genius Bar appointment for further diagnosis and treatment.
    That's kind of what I figured but wanted to see if I was figuring correctly. Thanks!
    12-23-2011 12:45 PM
    Same thing happened to me when I first got mine around the end of October - did a reset and it hasn't happened since - oddly enough, I think my battery life improved after that happened. Could be my imagination though - but I do recall the battery depleting much faster than it does now - this was before the 5.0.1 update came out.
    RC28 likes this.
    12-23-2011 12:57 PM
    I dont think I have owned an iPhone yet that didnt at some point lock up or not turn on just from something unknown.. it doesn't happen very often but just keep in mind the reset and you should be good to go!
    RC28 likes this.
    12-23-2011 03:41 PM
    Thanks for the additional info DZD and noaim. It was so surprising to me when it happened, but having had to do a hard reset on my Ipod classic, at least I knew what it was, and thankfully it responded. My IP4 never did one.
    12-24-2011 07:04 PM
    Push and hold the home button then push the on button. My ipad did this awhile back and doing this turned it right on...
    12-25-2011 12:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD