Accelerometer and pinch to zoom questions?

writegirl

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Okay, coming over from a Nexus S4G to the iPhone 4S has been a lot of fun and I am glad that I made the switch. However, there are some things that I miss about the Nexus. Namely, why in the world would Apple lock down the accelerometer in places like the home screen/certain apps/news articles/the app store??? Have I missed something--is there a setting that is locking this down on my phone or is it just the way that the platform operates? I will admit that I HATE this. The Nexus and my Galaxy Tab both allow the accelerometer to turn the home pages/app drawers/Android Market/and almost every single app and web page.

Anyway, this limitation on the iPhone has made it more difficult to see certain pages which leads me to another question -- is there no pinch to zoom? I know that there is tap to zoom, but that does not always work and when it does, it does not allow for customizing the viewing pane (fine tuning, if you will). Maybe I am not using a gesture correctly or something. If there is another/better way to do either of these things, please let me know. Other than these minor frustrations, I really do love the phone.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Okay, coming over from a Nexus S4G to the iPhone 4S has been a lot of fun and I am glad that I made the switch. However, there are some things that I miss about the Nexus. Namely, why in the world would Apple lock down the accelerometer in places like the home screen/certain apps/news articles/the app store??? Have I missed something--is there a setting that is locking this down on my phone or is it just the way that the platform operates? I will admit that I HATE this. The Nexus and my Galaxy Tab both allow the accelerometer to turn the home pages/app drawers/Android Market/and almost every single app and web page.

Anyway, this limitation on the iPhone has made it more difficult to see certain pages which leads me to another question -- is there no pinch to zoom? I know that there is tap to zoom, but that does not always work and when it does, it does not allow for customizing the viewing pane (fine tuning, if you will). Maybe I am not using a gesture correctly or something. If there is another/better way to do either of these things, please let me know. Other than these minor frustrations, I really do love the phone.

There's orientation switch and pinch to zoom only in certain places like the web browser has pinch to zoom thats just the way it is...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

writegirl

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
There's orientation switch and pinch to zoom only in certain places like the web browser has pinch to zoom thats just the way it is...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Thanks. That is kind of what I thought. Seems like a strange thing to limit. I can't imagine why Apple would put a restriction that stops us from taking full advantage of the screen. They must have a reason, I guess. Like I said, it is a minor frustration, but I really do love the phone :)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Apple limits it where it kind of makes sense. Home screen in landscape mode would look like crap. They'd have to rearrange the icons and figure out a way for it to not look badly designed. It works ok on the iPad because the iPad has a 4:3 aspect ratio. iPhone is more widescreen, and that presents a big problem in actually fitting the icons on the screen when switched to landscape. As for certain apps not being able to be used in landscape, it's just where there is the least demand for it. Trust me, this situation used to be a lot worse, even texting and email couldn't be used in landscape.

writegirl

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Apple limits it where it kind of makes sense. Home screen in landscape mode would look like crap. They'd have to rearrange the icons and figure out a way for it to not look badly designed. It works ok on the iPad because the iPad has a 4:3 aspect ratio. iPhone is more widescreen, and that presents a big problem in actually fitting the icons on the screen when switched to landscape. As for certain apps not being able to be used in landscape, it's just where there is the least demand for it. Trust me, this situation used to be a lot worse, even texting and email couldn't be used in landscape.

It isn't the end of the world, but I have to totally disagree with you regarding homescreen formatting in landscape. On my Nexus the icons for the apps rearrange with no noticible aesthetic degredation. I promise, the icons can just turn and turn again with no issues whatsoever. I don't think that it ever makes sense to limit the accelerometer unless it is specifically for an app or game where its use would create functional difficulties. But, the homescreen? Not so much. You would be amazed at how easily those little icons spin and reframe. The appstore not having a landscape mode is, quite frankly, ridiculous. At any rate, maybe the next iPhone will have these abilities. One can only hope.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro