I did a search to see if anyone has considered the merits of buying locked or unlocked but didn't see anything on point.
    I am currently on a BB and have been for some time, but I now feel like I felt a while back when I had a Palm Pilot (!!) and was thinking about switching to a BB.
    I am now thinking about switching to the 4S and because I have only had my Torch for about a year I would have to pay a hefty upgrade fee on top of the relatively expensive amount Rogers charges for the 64gb model even on a 3 year plan.
    Because of that, I was thinking of just buying an unlocked model from the Apple store but in Canada, a 64gb unlocked iphone is $849. With tax, I can get a Macbook for that amount.
    While many people don't like to be paying any amount for a phone, what is the thinking about spending close to $1,000 on a phone. (I know it is subjective, but if I have to pay a $300 upgrade fee and then about $300+ for the phone on a 3 year contract, I might as well bite the bullet and just buy it outright.)
    12-16-2011 02:13 PM
    Unlocked will have higher resale value in the future, when you wish to upgrade, again.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
    12-16-2011 02:30 PM
    I did a search to see if anyone has considered the merits of buying locked or unlocked but didn't see anything on point.
    I am currently on a BB and have been for some time, but I now feel like I felt a while back when I had a Palm Pilot (!!) and was thinking about switching to a BB.
    I am now thinking about switching to the 4S and because I have only had my Torch for about a year I would have to pay a hefty upgrade fee on top of the relatively expensive amount Rogers charges for the 64gb model even on a 3 year plan.
    Because of that, I was thinking of just buying an unlocked model from the Apple store but in Canada, a 64gb unlocked iphone is $849. With tax, I can get a Macbook for that amount.
    While many people don't like to be paying any amount for a phone, what is the thinking about spending close to $1,000 on a phone. (I know it is subjective, but if I have to pay a $300 upgrade fee and then about $300+ for the phone on a 3 year contract, I might as well bite the bullet and just buy it outright.)
    Aren't all iPhones in Canada unlocked already? I thought they were. The way I look at it when I buy my iPhones is, I don't mind spending the money, because it will either A) last a very long time, and it was a good investment, or B) when you sell it in a year, it will still have a good value on it. Probably somewhere around $450 or so. Can't pinpoint it exactly as there hasn't been a 64GB iPhone before. If you have the money, go for it. To some people $850 is a lot, but to others it isn't. It's really subjective. I know a millionaire that won't spend that much on a phone, but me who has much less then that, wouldn't think twice about spending it.
    12-16-2011 02:34 PM
    Thanx. No, phones in Canada are generally locked to the carrier. Rogers is charging $369 for the 64gb version and that is for a locked to Rogers on a 3 year plan. Because I upgraded from an older BB to a Torch in Jan. of 2011, I have to pay an upgrade fee to upgrade again. Even if it is just a couple of hundred dollars, it almost does seem worth it to just buy it outright and unlocked, and then if I want to upgrade to something else in a couple of years, I could sell my unit.
    Tempting.
    12-16-2011 02:45 PM
    Yeah if it's only a little bit more, go for the unlocked version. The resale on an unlocked phone is higher. But if it's $200 more, I don't think resale would be $200 higher. I guess both ways kinda suck and you just have to figure out which one sucks less.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    12-16-2011 02:55 PM
    I'd go for the unlocked one. Much higher resale plus the freedom of being unlocked ... I did the same but with a 32
    12-16-2011 03:31 PM
    I just sold my iPhone 4S that was factory unlocked. Sold it for 50+ more than what it was worth brand new. I always buy unlocked. Glad Apple is finally selling them that way.
    12-26-2011 07:20 PM
    No unlocked costs more then a locked phone, because it can be used on any gsm carrier that uses the supported bandwidth.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    12-27-2011 09:01 AM
    I currently use a 64GB unlocked iPhone 4S and I can say that it is the best thing so far. I have had all capacities on the iPhone and I am more than glad with the 64GB have more than enough space, and once the new one comes out next year or whenever it does, I know I will get a good price for it and have more than enough money to buy the new one contract free.
    12-27-2011 10:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD