I swore off the iPhone 4s- bought & returned

AppleSmart

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I was in lust of the 4s but soon realized the feature to no turn 3G off in my area was a deal breaker. My almost daily drive has pockets of no 3G. As long as I'm on EDGE (ATT), I didn't get dropped calls with my iPhone 4.

When I came to this realization, I sadly returned my 4s and reactivated my 4. The home button on my 4 is not responding very well. I have to click 3-5 times before it responds. My 4 was doing this previously but I'd read a trick, tried it and it worked...until a week ago.

I went into the Apple store two nights ago for them to have a look at my phone. The genius bar associate ran diagnostics on it and it was flawless. He could hear the click in the button and feel the weighty difference from one side of the button to the other. Yet, we trudged on ruling out software. My phone was restored to factory settings. My button is a hardware defect.

I've known about this issue and read about it previously when I was experiencing it. I also know Apple knows some of the iPhone 4's home buttons are defective and have read online and heard in real life about Apple swapping out phones.

Two nights ago, Apple did not stand behind their product. My option is to live with it or pay $150 for a refurb. That's $50 shy of buying the 4s. I'm discouraged and devastated.

I would have loved to have kept the 4s! I still want it. Now my 4 is failing due to Apple's faulty manufacturing and I'm stuck. I really can't justify paying $150 for a dysfunction in Apple's phones they are aware of and have been swapping other people's phones out for to get a refurb iPhone 4. I feel like if I were to spend money, it'd be for the 4s. Except I don't feel I should have to pay any money at all for a faulty button on Apple's part.

What do you think or what would you do if you were in my situation?

Last edited:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Open it up, remove the vibrate motor and break a connector. Put the motor back in and tell them your vibrate is busted. If they offer to fix the vibrate, bring up your other hardware issues and they should just replace the entire phone.....provided you're under warranty.

Last edited:

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I did the alcohol trick like 6 times in one night and it works like a charm now. The apple store did it once and got it working till I got home. So I did it like 6 more times and it's been working great for like 3 weeks now. May want to do it a few times and see if you can get all the crap out of there. Apple was more than willing to replace my phone if they couldn't get it fixed, but I am still under warranty. Faulty design or not you can't expect a company to replace a phone out of warranty if they did that then they might as well not have a time limit on the warranty at all. At least they looked at it out of warranty. Most companies will barely look at it in warranty much less without it.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would keep taking it back and tell them you have done everything they said .. My 4 had same issue and I just walked in and they replaced it no question ..

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

vn906c

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Regarding the EDGE issue. The 4s does support EDGE, just not the option to switch to EDGE exclusively. When you drive through those pockets of no 3G, it should just switch to EDGE automatically and then back to 3G automatically. You would still have service. Would you be driving through those EDGE areas for long periods of time to where it would even affect the battery? Just wondering, I might of misread your post.

vn906c

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Wait nevermind, are you saying the automatic switching of 3G to EDGE would cause to many dropped calls thus why you wanted to keep it on EDGE during your commute? If that's the case, ignore my previous post. Lol

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Probably out of warranty. In that case, it doesn't matter if its a defect.

Your main problem is pockets of Edge. If Verizon is any better, you could sell iphone, pay ETF, if any, and switch. Choose your provider first.

AppleSmart

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Probably out of warranty. In that case, it doesn't matter if its a defect.

Your main problem is pockets of Edge. If Verizon is any better, you could sell iphone, pay ETF, if any, and switch. Choose your provider first.

While I'm eligible for a new upgrade, my 2 years wouldn't be up until June (launch day of the 4) and I added my daughter and switched to a family plan in August.

I absolutely agree 3G is better with Verizon in my area, I just can't pay to break contract and then buy a new phone too. Definitely wrong time of year with Christmas. lol

Would calling Apple care help?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
While I'm eligible for a new upgrade, my 2 years wouldn't be up until June (launch day of the 4) and I added my daughter and switched to a family plan in August.

I absolutely agree 3G is better with Verizon in my area, I just can't pay to break contract and then buy a new phone too. Definitely wrong time of year with Christmas. lol

Most likely not.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

If your warranty is over then it's over. Calling them won't change that.

AppleSmart

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
If your warranty is over then it's over. Calling them won't change that.

You guys are right but I had to give it a try anyway. They wouldn't budge. :(

I'm going to call an iPhone repair place when they open today and get a quote. My friend suggested this place to me last night.

I so want to give the 4s another try and wish the toggle was still there!

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
A co-worker of mine had the home button issues on his iphone 4. He took it to a repair shop and watched them open it up. The membrane that makes up the home button was all worn out. He and I BOTH agree it's a hardware defect of the iphone 4 that Apple won't admit to. I ran into the home button defect 6 months ago on my iphone 4 (had used it for 10 months). It went away with the alcohol trick but came back. I took it to Apple store with 1 month left on the warranty and got a replacement.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice