Feeling the need to return to Blackberry

TMElectric

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I switched from being a BB user, with the last being the 9930, to the Iphone 4S the day they came out. The Iphone does exactly everything my BB did for me. I am an electrical contractor that owns my business by the way. I use my phones for communications, primarily e-mails. I do not play games, whatch movies, facebook or twitter. Just business.

To me, my e-mails the same as my BB. I am not sure why we all think the BB's have a better e-mail service. I get them fast and can even type them as fast. I was never fast with BB so this was a wash for me. I love my Iphone.

BUT!!!

There is this little voice in my head that secretly wishes my BB was as good as my Iphone so I can go back to it. I do not know why. I am hoping the new BBX will be as good as the Iphone. To me, my Iphone is more phone than I need, I just feel like I should have a BB. Is there any recently converts feeling the same way? If the BBX is as good or better, are you thinking of going back?

I am NOT trying to start a heated discussion here. Maybe I have the "need a new phone" disease. I am just wondering if there are more people like me that are secretly hoping the BBX will be as good a phone as the 4S.

SmokeyRed

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I prefer blackberry devices myself. I owned the 9930 for about 10 days and switched over to the iPhone 4S. I miss the blackberry for the status light and keyboard. I use Siri now so the keyboard is a non issue. If the iPhone had a status light on the front of the device instead of an LED I would be okay. The iPhone email is not as good as blackberry for the following reasons.
1. Can't add an attachment to an email when replying.
2. Flagging emails is better using a blackberry.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I Like the iOS platform. The OS, iCloud, iTunes, the quality of the apps, Photo Stream to my iPad and Macbook, and on and on. I just dont think BBX could ever do enough. I better cook me breakfast/dinner if it wants consideration.

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I had a BB Tour and was very disappointed with it in the following arenas:
1) poor app store
2) TERRIBLE BB Internet service...even when I used the Opera browser, it would take forever for things to load, if they did at all.
3) Email pushed effortlessly, but some of the emails were not visible. Very irritating.
4) tiny screen and poor display.

However, I liked the BB physical keyboard and the notification light (yeah, silly but it was pretty cool). But I use my IP for email, internet, FB and Twitter, pictures, games, etc. It's my "Mac away from my Mac". I'd never go back to BB. Just my opinion.

Kehjj04

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
That's what I always tell my friends who are considering an iPhone, that if you don't Facebook/twitter/buy apps and listen to music then id stick with bb. BB was too business for me. I wanted something fun with great apps (bbs apps were a JOKE and were always full of bugs) and the iTunes just sold me right then and there.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I seriously considered waiting for the 9860 to come out on AT&T and had played with the Sprint 9850 and really liked it, especially compared to my 9700. I loved the screen size, etc and the tough screen. The 9900 was just too small for me (screen size)..

Once I had played with the iPhone 4s at an AT&T store, the difference between that and the 9860 was night and day.. the iPhone just felt like a quality phone.

As for functions, I agree that the email on the iPhone is just as good as I had on my BIS-blackberry..maybe even a bit faster. I like the integration of Gmail/Calendar/contacts.. before I was trying to syc with Outlook and that worked OK, but I much prefer gmail et al.

The keyboard was my biggest concern, or I should say lack thereof.. it took me about 2 days to really get the feel of the iPhone keyboard and I dont think I'll go back to a physical keyboard. I still use a BB 3G curve for work and Im really starting to hate typing on that thing!

I dont think I'll be going back to a BB anytime soon.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
At first I was a little nervous about being away from blackberry as they were the first smart phone I had ever used. Now I don't think I will ever go back. The iPhone does everything I need and the wifi speed is ten times better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Let's be honest
To me, my e-mails the same as my BB. I am not sure why we all think the BB's have a better e-mail service.
Honestly, we don't all think that (though people do frequently parrot "BB is better for email" without any thought on the matter). I was a BES user. ActiveSync is definitely better for me as the BB could never truly sync (even on BES) and could only push and reconcile.

However, for some BIS users there is an advantage to BIS in that it can automatically adjust polling intervals for pull accounts and make them seem like they're push without impacting battery life on the device at all. This is because BIS polls the mail server, not the device. The connection between BIS and the BB is push so email is pushed as BIS retrieves it.

There is this little voice in my head that secretly wishes my BB was as good as my Iphone so I can go back to it.
I've never understood people that "want to like" something. Either I like something or I don't. There's no want to like. Either it meets my needs or it doesn't. To each his own, I guess. In your case it just sounds like some variation of nostalgia. My BB's were the best option for me at the time but I have no interest in ever going back to them. On top of significantly better functionality and a much better app environment (IMO) Apple's product design, interface design and build quality is just light years ahead of what RIM has been producing for a long time. My older BB's (in the 6230 and 7230 days) were extremely tough and reliable devices but that was long, long ago and their recent offerings aren't even in the same league as Apple IMO.

I am NOT trying to start a heated discussion here. Maybe I have the "need a new phone" disease. I am just wondering if there are more people like me that are secretly hoping the BBX will be as good a phone as the 4S.
I'm sure there are those that do but I'm definitely not one of them. I left my BB's long ago (and I was a major fan of them for years, going through 6 different models) by way of Android and don't miss BB or Android. RIM has been doing too little too late for far too long. I wouldn't hold my breath for BBX either given their recent track record.

Last edited:

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I loved my BB's and still get the "new phone" itch when I see a new one, but I don't see me ever going back. If for no other reason, because it's so much nicer dealing with Apple than the carrier, if something goes wrong.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I did the blackberry thing for a couple years and it was so far behind that I am not sure they will ever catch up to each is own on what phone you want to use but lets face it theres not much an iPhone can't do

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My only issue with missing my BlackBerry is the obscene battery life... 2-3 days with heavy usage was no effort at all.

I love my iPhone 4S and all that the iOS ecosystem affords. And I am living with close to a full day on a charge with the iPhone, so I won't be going back anytime soon.

Don't miss the physical keyboard, BBMessenger, LED notifications (never used them anyway), or the battery pull to resolve the "affliction of the moment"...

Ok, maybe I do miss the removable/replaceable battery - that would allow me to carry a spare... but I have the next best thing - a portable charging device to top it off...

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
My only issue with missing my BlackBerry is the obscene battery life... 2-3 days with heavy usage was no effort at all.

I love my iPhone 4S and all that the iOS ecosystem affords. And I am living with close to a full day on a charge with the iPhone, so I won't be going back anytime soon.

Don't miss the physical keyboard, BBMessenger, LED notifications (never used them anyway), or the battery pull to resolve the "affliction of the moment"...

Ok, maybe I do miss the removable/replaceable battery - that would allow me to carry a spare... but I have the next best thing - a portable charging device to top it off...

Your right on my bold 9700 I could use that phone all day long for 2 days straight and then need to charge that was pretty cool but I find that I dont need to charge my iPhone until the end of the day anyway

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Kehjj04

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
At first I was a little nervous about being away from blackberry as they were the first smart phone I had ever used. Now I don't think I will ever go back. The iPhone does everything I need and the wifi speed is ten times better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed wifi was awful on my bb

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I was a BB user for 4 years before getting the 4S. I miss the customizable sound profiles, but I don't want to go back. I love my 4S and am having way too much gaming.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
7 years blackberry user here...got the iphone 4s on sprint on launch day...im not going back anytime soon nor miss it. last bb device i had was a 9930. i love my iphone a lot. its a great business device for me. im able to scan/pdf/signcontracts/fax/ all from my phone via apps. this is great business/work tool. i really feel with iphone i have the best phone to date.

Last edited:

CBMem

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I really miss a few, simple, everyday things the Blackberry was good at that are missing on the iPhone for whatever reason; I also like a few things better about my iPhone that I wouldn't want to give up. In other words, I'm not totally committed to either and open to a "third party". I'm keeping an eye on Windows Phone developments; it seems like there's a good chance it will be a good mix of the two.

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I only miss the red notification light and bar.. other than that, absolutely nothing!!! in my opinion, RIM will be either bought out or out of business in 3 years.. they just cant compare to apple or android..apps alone are just a joke with BB..

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I was a bb user for over 4yrs. I switched 11/4. The day I switched I thought I was going to "miss" something or have withdrawals.......nope turns out I didn't miss anything :)

I was really at the end of my rope with my 9650 having to reboot every other day because of memory leaks. I feel that when I walked into that VzW store that morning I was ready to move on without looking back. The only thing I look forward to is the next iPhone, and what new upgrades it will bring to the table :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73