VZW iPhone 4S heat

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I realize there's been a lot of discussion over generally bad battery life and such... But I just switched from a Sprint iPhone 4S to a Verizon one and I'm noticing significantly worse battery life (both on 5.0.1) accompanied by a noticeably increased temperature. The back isn't "hot" per se, but it is quite warm, especially as compared to my Sprint 4S.

I guess my question is, is the general consensus that battery life/temperature are a by-device issue rather than a carrier or OS version problem? I'm particularly concerned given the recent news of iPhones "exploding". Thanks!

-mtmjr90

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I am more curious of these iPhone(s). This implies there are more than a handful of "explosions". So go ahead.....show me the links.........

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow, no reason to be rude. It's something I've read. I'm not saying it's a widespread issue, just that it's happened. My concern is whether or not I should attempt to exchange it or just wait for an OS update. Thanks so much for your helpful comment.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Well you said you were concerned about the explosions in the recent news. So I am like......well back up your claims of these explosions. As for your little phone issue, restore it from new and if that's still warm, swap it out. Maybe do some PRL updates........

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Disregarding ghosttroll's posts, the back of a phone getting warm is usually caused by an over active processor. Running very memory intensive apps, even in the background, can cause this. Check to make sure you don't have anything like this open and running. Also, an out of date Preferred Roaming List can force your phone to expend more effort to search for an out of date signal, using more CPU and increasing heat.

Try to correct both (close running mem-intensive apps) and dial *228 and select option 2.

If neither of those fixes your issue, you may need a replacement.

Last edited:

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
mine gets warm after playing games for a while.... but im on VZW and my batt life is good

5.0.1 - internet, fb, 2 plus movies (netflix), games, etc since 8 am... im at 45%

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hm. For the most part, I only really use my browser, Gmail, Google Voice, fb, twitter, and pocket casts. I noticed that it is significantly worse with 3G than when I'm on WiFi. I've updated the PRL since the original post and it does seem a bit better. Also, I'm not using a case. If it continues to get significantly warm when I'm on 3G, I'll probably have to look into a replacement.

I just really don't want the fix to be to upgrade to 5.1 when it comes out because I want to jailbreak/unlock asap=/

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Kehjj04

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Hm. For the most part, I only really use my browser, Gmail, Google Voice, fb, twitter, and pocket casts. I noticed that it is significantly worse with 3G than when I'm on WiFi. I've updated the PRL since the original post and it does seem a bit better. Also, I'm not using a case. If it continues to get significantly warm when I'm on 3G, I'll probably have to look into a replacement.

I just really don't want the fix to be to upgrade to 5.1 when it comes out because I want to jailbreak/unlock asap=/

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I have Verizon and the same issue. No heat on wifi but heats up on 3G also just using the browser and Facebook

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
the only incidents of Iphone explosions have occurred in Europe, and not one of them have been absolutely verified. The ones that have "allegedly" occurred in the states were due to misuse by owners, intentional damage caused to the phone by same (specifically damaging the battery), and none of those incidents have been substantiated either. I think a lot of that can be attributed to people wanting to make their info viral so they stir up controversy with a company they aren't fond of..IMO.
Saynt J pretty much summed it all up right there. My Droid X got hotter than my IP4S ever does-and most of the time it was because some app got locked up and the processor was trying to resolve the issue.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Well you said you were concerned about the explosions in the recent news. So I am like......well back up your claims of these explosions. As for your little phone issue, restore it from new and if that's still warm, swap it out. Maybe do some PRL updates........

there has been two recently one was on a plane flight where a flight attendent had to put the phone in a glass of water.. I am completely surprised you missed them as they were front page news on tipb and also discussed in these forums many times..

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
as far as the op is concerned most phones get warm its not unusual the ones that blow up and over heat are pretty rare. you will notice that if you keep in plugged in and talk on it it will warm up quite a bit this is relatively normal in my opinion. iPhones also have a heat sensor in them that is supposed to come on screen and give a heat warning. As to why that warning never popped for the two phones that exploded is beyond me..

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
there has been two recently one was on a plane flight where a flight attendent had to put the phone in a glass of water.. I am completely surprised you missed them as they were front page news on tipb and also discussed in these forums many times..

I don't read tipb. Just forums. Also, two isn't anything to be worried about.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73