Hello everyone,
    I just ordered the daughter a 4s, and wanting to get some inside info. I'm an Android guy and the wife has a Blackberry. I plan on loading up Google apps (latiude, talk, voice, etc). Are there any issues/tips that I should know about with those apps and iOS integration? I'm not unfamiliar with the iOS platform and looking to make this as easy as possible on her and myself. Also, is there the option of hiding icons on the home screens? Are there any must have apps that make things easier/smoother/etc?

Thanks in advance!!
    12-09-2011 01:20 PM
    Hello everyone,
    I just ordered the daughter a 4s, and wanting to get some inside info. I'm an Android guy and the wife has a Blackberry. I plan on loading up Google apps (latiude, talk, voice, etc). Are there any issues/tips that I should know about with those apps and iOS integration? I'm not unfamiliar with the iOS platform and looking to make this as easy as possible on her and myself. Also, is there the option of hiding icons on the home screens? Are there any must have apps that make things easier/smoother/etc?

Thanks in advance!!
    I don't use any of the Google apps, so I can't help you o nthat.

I don't think you can hide apps, but you can put them on the back pages of your app screens to hide them. I've got a couple I can't delete (news stand and iTunes) on the last page of my apps all by themselves to keep from looking at them. You can also create folders for apps and hide them in there that way, but the folders can't be hidden.

I will say that the iPhone doesn't come with all the bloated preinstalled crap that BB does. It comes with the basics and that's it. I love it. With BB, there were a dozen or so pre-installed links to download apps that I couldn't delete. I hated that.

For must have apps, it depends on what you want. The first apps I downloaded were Sirius's iPhone App, NHL Game Center Live, Words with Friends and Angry Birds.
    12-09-2011 04:10 PM
    Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!!
    There's an app called Talkatone which integrates google voice and google talk into one for you on the iPhone.
    If you are used to watching Flash videos on your Android, try Puffin browser.
    MapQuest is an alternative for turn by turn directions a la google navigation.
    Find iPhone and Find iFriends are pretty handy too (but limited to friends with iPhone only).
    12-09-2011 07:02 PM
    Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!!
    I use all of the google applications on ios and I can say there not as tightly nit as they are in android but they do work. Google voice application allows you to dial out and text no problem but its not as tightly integrated like on android. I find that the google talk application is just so so but there is plenty of applications on the market that let you use messenger I use verbs and beejive there is actually a beejive im dedicated to google talk and its free the full version of beejive lets you use any messenger all at the same time. I have had google latitude installed and it works fine. I no longer use it anymore so youll have to test it out yourself on the current version..

if she uses gmail I suggest setting up the email account using the "exchange" setting instead of the gmail route

the server to use is m.google.com

with the exchange way you can fully sync contacts calendar and email and its all push instead of fetch.

hope this helps
    12-09-2011 08:18 PM
    Maybe just let your daughter put her own apps on the phone??
    12-10-2011 11:15 AM
    thank you for your replies everyone! they are much appreciated
    12-12-2011 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD