Have A Genius Bar Appointment For My Iphone 4s. I backed up phone, but..

HeyGreggie

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
As far as the photos I've taken WITH my device.. are they stored with the backup? It'd be nice to know if they replace my 4s, all of the photos I've taken will be able to be put back onto my device.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
As far as the photos I've taken WITH my device.. are they stored with the backup? It'd be nice to know if they replace my 4s, all of the photos I've taken will be able to be put back onto my device.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

As long as your back up was done, before you went. Everything will be there Apps and all. Depending on how many pics you took, it might take a while.

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Thank you both, Miguel and Garz, as I've always wondered about this myself:)

I always recommend keeping another back up of those pics somewhere. For example, a Mac user can do that in iPhoto or a Windows user can access the iPhone as a drive and pull the pics out to create a back up. Why do I say to do this? My wifes iPhone turned into a brick last year. We got a new one and then when we tried loading her backup, phone wouldnt boot up. Found out her backup was corrupted. She had to start fresh and lost over 1200 pics. We learned the lesson the hard way at her expense.

richg78

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I always recommend keeping another back up of those pics somewhere. For example, a Mac user can do that in iPhoto or a Windows user can access the iPhone as a drive and pull the pics out to create a back up. Why do I say to do this? My wifes iPhone turned into a brick last year. We got a new one and then when we tried loading her backup, phone wouldnt boot up. Found out her backup was corrupted. She had to start fresh and lost over 1200 pics. We learned the lesson the hard way at her expense.

There is a program to open up the backup file then you can extract the lost pictures. That is if you still have the backup file. If she got a new iPhone the corrupt backup file should be still stored on you computer. The new iPhone should have created a new back up file. I believe the program is called iPhone backup extractor or something like that. It worked great for me. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
There is a program to open up the backup file then you can extract the lost pictures. That is if you still have the backup file. If she got a new iPhone the corrupt backup file should be still stored on you computer. The new iPhone should have created a new back up file. I believe the program is called iPhone backup extractor or something like that. It worked great for me. Hope this helps!

Thanks for that info. We didnt know. The backup is long gone. I deleted the old ones. This happened about a year ago.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

ahhhhh....ya know this was another thing i wondered also. Being able to access the iPhone that way and copy the pix to a folder-either onto the homepage or in the pix file. (i used to do this with my bb allll the time to keep my files updated everytime i added something new)

as for your wifes phone, that had to suck:( sorry you guys had to go through that.

EDIT: btw, everytime you do a backup to your iphone, does it store each one, like blackberry does? and if so, where on the comp (windows xp) would i be able to find these files(back ups)?

HeyGreggie

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Now question in regards of "Backups"

I backed up my entire device (well.. whatever it does when you have it plugged into iTunes...)

But for some reason Genius Bar guy said not to restore from a backup since the underlying issue I had was with my battery and not getting service...

Is there a way to manually choose to just sync the photos/videos when I do the initial plug up to my home Macbook?

Or shouls I just restore from backup

richg78

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
ahhhhh....ya know this was another thing i wondered also. Being able to access the iPhone that way and copy the pix to a folder-either onto the homepage or in the pix file. (i used to do this with my bb allll the time to keep my files updated everytime i added something new)

as for your wifes phone, that had to suck:( sorry you guys had to go through that.

EDIT: btw, everytime you do a backup to your iphone, does it store each one, like blackberry does? and if so, where on the comp (windows xp) would i be able to find these files(back ups)?

I believe it over writes the previous backup. So you can only restore to the last time you backed up. One you replace your iphone the new iphone will create a new backup file and you will be left with the back up from your old phone and the new backup file.

HeyGreggie

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe it over writes the previous backup. So you can only restore to the last time you backed up. One you replace your iphone the new iphone will create a new backup file and you will be left with the back up from your old phone and the new backup file.

so is it a good or bad idea for me to restore the apps and stuff from my last backup to this new phone?

Or in efforts to counter whatever was faulty about my last phone, just start anew?

richg78

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
so is it a good or bad idea for me to restore the apps and stuff from my last backup to this new phone?

Or in efforts to counter whatever was faulty about my last phone, just start anew?

Thats entirely up to you. The Genius Bar Employees are going to tell you to start new. I have restored my backup from my old phone and it worked fine and I have also started fresh. If you are having software related issues i would start new. If you are having it replaced for physical damage then I would say you should be fine restoring from a previous back up.

You can plug in the old phone and open up iPhoto and import the photos and videos from you iPhone. It is really easy. Then you can start fresh on the new device.

Last edited:

HeyGreggie

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
thats the thing, I dont have the old phone anymore. Now I did do a backup last night quite fine, but I want the photos in my photo stream back for this new device, and I'm curious as to how I go about that without doing a FULL backup of settings/etc/etc.

Also, this 1 by 1 installing apps= blower

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Once you log into iCloud your photo stream will come back an you can select the pics u want and save to your camera roll

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

richg78

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
thats the thing, I dont have the old phone anymore. Now I did do a backup last night quite fine, but I want the photos in my photo stream back for this new device, and I'm curious as to how I go about that without doing a FULL backup of settings/etc/etc.

Also, this 1 by 1 installing apps= blower

Once you log into iTunes on your computer with your user name and password all your apps that you have purchased (For $ or free) will show up in your iTunes on your computer. You can click all the apps you want to install in iTunes and it will install them all at one.

Last edited:

richg78

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Download iPhone Backup Extractor. Have it extract your backup and save your photos on your computer. Then Reload them to your phone.

richg78

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
For Mac. It is a program that extracts or opens the backup file stored on your mac. Just google search iPhone backup extractor one of the many extractors will come up. I can't remember exactly which one i used, but any of them should work. I used a free one i believe it was call iPhone Backup Extractor. You will also have to google search where iTunes stores the backup file on your computer. The extractor will need to know where the file is located.

This is all assuming that you backed up your iPhone to iTunes on your mac. If you backed your iPhone to iCloud you have no other choice but to restore from your backup. I can give you more instructions if this is the case.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73