Hi
    Well I am leaving the Droid family and joining the iPhone family. I was kind of worried about all the restrictions Apple has but after talking to the Verizon sales rep and seeing how quick it was I convinced this was the phone for me.

The one of the things that bother me was the iPhone not letting you have third party apps but the Verizon guy said there was a Jailbreak that he used for his wife phone that you can do that and it will not damage your phone in any way as long as you did not mess with anything else.

I went and look on the web and right now as far as I can see there is not a Jailbreak for the iPhone 4 s but I did see a bunch of different Jailbreaks I saw ones that you pay for some that are just download like a app so I am confused as to which one. I just want to be able to possibly download a couple of apps and I do not won't to in no way mess with anything that will possible hurt the phone. So can someone help me out
    Last edited by Maddox995; 12-06-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    12-03-2011 11:42 PM
    There is no jailbreak of any kind for the 4S yet, and what kind of restrictions are you worried about ?
    12-04-2011 01:08 AM
    Welcome to TiPB. There isn't a jailbreak out yet, but like Cleveland said, what are the restrictions you're referring to that you would need a jailbreak for?
    Cleveland likes this.
    12-04-2011 02:01 AM
    Aren't there like half a billion third party apps in the app store?
    12-04-2011 12:36 PM
    You clearly are (and admit) new to the iPhone and iOS, and I'll assume iTunes as well. So if you like the form factor and functionality of the iPhone 4S I would not worry about "3rd party apps." There are I think over 500k apps in the iTunes app store and you will most likely find an app for anything you can think of. But you are stumbling in to Apple's wall-garden and you have to play by their rules. But that's where jailbreaking comes in. But since there is no jailbreak for the 4S, spend some time learning the device, browsing the iTunes app store and TiPb and these forums, and by the time the 4S is compromised for a jailbreak, you will be in a much better position to tackle/understand what a jailbreak can do for you.
    _heatherly likes this.
    12-04-2011 12:44 PM
    OK, from a previous 5 year Droid user, put your fears to rest. I had the same concerns, mine stemmed from the lack of an integrated navigation system like with G maps, and also the worries that the apps were restrictive. Believe me, the apps available in the App store put the apps in the Market to shame. Not just that, but the apps work FLAWLESSLY on the Iphone4s. Fast, accurate, and no issues whatsoever! I couldn't be happier. I loaded two free nav programs and have used both, Waze and Telenav, and they work as good as the Nav program on the Droid. Granted, they don't integrate as nicely as the interface when you use Google maps, but they work and are free nonetheless.
    I was thinking I was wanting to jailbreak my phone as soon as I got it too, but I discovered it isn't really necessary, since I found all I need just doing a little research on this forum and on the 'net. Have no fear, you'll be quite content.
    Tanker57 likes this.
    12-04-2011 05:53 PM
    OK, from a previous 5 year Droid user, put your fears to rest. I had the same concerns, mine stemmed from the lack of an integrated navigation system like with G maps, and also the worries that the apps were restrictive. Believe me, the apps available in the App store put the apps in the Market to shame. Not just that, but the apps work FLAWLESSLY on the Iphone4s. Fast, accurate, and no issues whatsoever! I couldn't be happier. I loaded two free nav programs and have used both, Waze and Telenav, and they work as good as the Nav program on the Droid. Granted, they don't integrate as nicely as the interface when you use Google maps, but they work and are free nonetheless.
    I was thinking I was wanting to jailbreak my phone as soon as I got it too, but I discovered it isn't really necessary, since I found all I need just doing a little research on this forum and on the 'net. Have no fear, you'll be quite content.
    Thanks that helps a lot coming from a previous Droid user. The main reason for the switch was I was tired of the phone not working as a phone and nothing really was in sync with each other. I was in the Verizon store trying out the new Droids and the ones the guy was showing me he could not get working right then we went over to the iPhones and it was cool I was thinking can we really get our cake and eat it too? The phone wiz though everything with ease and then he showed me how Siri works and I was convinced/ Sold. I see now much of what I was looking for is on the apple app market . Thanks to everyone for your help.
    Cleveland and rich67 like this.
    12-05-2011 10:00 AM
    I don't see how the sales person couldn't get a demo phone to work. That just means they don't know how to use the phone. Both have their good qualities and bad. My iPhone from time to time freezes and apps crash every now and then. I actually had less issues with some of my android phones. You just have to know how to use it. When I had a Blackberry everyone complained but I never had any issues because I properly closed out all the apps. I still find it necessary to close out the apps on the iPhone even though the claim is that you don't need to close them out. I think ultimately it comes down to how you use your phone and what you expect out of it. At the end of the day it's just like any other computer or laptop. It will freeze or hang up from time to time.
    12-06-2011 01:04 AM
    You would have know the Android system to be able to understand where I am coming from and it is not so much as restrictions as it is getting use to a whole new system and controls and I am sure in time that will be second nature.
    I am not knocking the Android system they are slowing starting to catch up but un like Apple they have put full control in the hands of the people and Apple on the other hand controls a lot of what goes on their system which eliminates a lot of problems with software conflicts.
    On my first phone the Droid 1 I went through three phones till I got one that worked right and this is a typical thing and the Verizon guy told me he was already on his third one. I have not heard of any of the iPhone this happening too as much or at all.

The phone the sales guy was showing me was having the same problem that has hit the 4 G phones and it is most likely a software issue and will get fixed over time but in the mean time you have to deal with all the problems and not be able to use the phone like you should.

Right now I have the incredible 2 which is nice and the only problem I have with it is the signal indicator is not in sync in with what signal you really have like it will say you have full 3 G but in reality you don't. Another thing and this is on all the Android phones you have to contently have to shut it down and back on to try to clear the memory and also you have to do a lot of factory resets.
    I don't want to have to constantly have to dink with a phone and I still want to be able to use it like a phone. I read a lot about the iPhones and went online and research what problems people were having with the iPhones and I really could not find a lot wrong with them most were just trivia problems compare to what Android is facing.
    rich67 likes this.
    12-06-2011 11:42 AM
    very true about the Droid re: resetting/rebooting. I had to constantly battery pull my Droid 1 and X because it would hang up or lag. Haven't noticed a sigle lockup issue with the 4S.
    Maddox995 likes this.
    12-06-2011 11:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD