Can a new App cause massive battery drain??

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I have had no issues with my battery life since I got my 4s... yesterday i downloaded about 4 apps (2 apps and 2 games) and now my battery is draining like crazy..I'm losing like 15% an hour!!! could it be one of the new apps? I can't imagine what else would cause this...

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I actually had that problem last week and this week. I would download a game, not even open it or anything and go from 90% to 25% in 2 hours. It was crazy. I immediately deleted it. If you've paid for the apps or games, maybe contact the developer and ask if it's a common problem. Also, check your settings. Is the game sending you lots of updates or using your location or data alot? You can maybe turn off some features to reduce battery drain.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Also,make sure that you close the app, not just exit out of it.. double click the home button and close any open apps that you want to..

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I had it happen with the Google+ app.

I had deleted it for about a week, because I needed a break from social media. For that week my battery life was great. I reinstalled it and noticed my battery life tanked.

No idea why, since other people have used it and never noticed an issue, but I got rid of it and will just use the website.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
its weird because verwon was the first I heard of this actually happening.. It hasn't happened to me but its to much of a coincidence that you installed apps then your battery tanked..

Reactions: verwon

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, I deleted all 4. they were free so no biggie I guess but I liked them!! I guess I could re-install them one at a time to figure out which one it was...its a bummer... I charged back up to 100% so we can see how it goes..

I remember my BB days where apps could cause memory leaks, but not battery problems... strange

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Also,make sure that you close the app, not just exit out of it.. double click the home button and close any open apps that you want to..

its actually only some apps that continue to run while not "open" - most apps kind of hibernate (pause) till you re-open them. Others, like the music app continue to work. if you download an app and dont even run it... it cant be the app thats killing it.

Restore, then drain the battey till dead. Charge it back up and see if that helps.

and what apps did you get?

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I had it happen with the Google+ app.

I had deleted it for about a week, because I needed a break from social media. For that week my battery life was great. I reinstalled it and noticed my battery life tanked.

No idea why, since other people have used it and never noticed an issue, but I got rid of it and will just use the website.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

I deleted mine and so did my buddy about a week ago and we saw a nominal improvement nothing to go holy sh*t over but it was definitely better

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
They were:
Flow
Redlaser
Recipe Genius
Farkle

Well, after 1 hour, i only lost 3%, before I was losing almost 15% an hour, so getting rid of them obviously worked..

Thx for sharing which apps it was. I'm sure this can be helpful to quite a few that may be thinking about dwlding, or have dwld and had the same issue as you.

I look at this way, sure on bb's we were always watching what we dwld because god only knows what was going to cause a mem leak or drain on battery, but when you really think of it, An electronic device regardless what type, could have different responses when dwlding apps etc.

So I'd say, keep an eye on what you dwld anyway for changes and reactions from your device:) I still always do that.....guess it's from using bb's for over 4yrs, I'm just kinda still 'conditioned' to look for it.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
its actually only some apps that continue to run while not "open" - most apps kind of hibernate (pause) till you re-open them. Others, like the music app continue to work. if you download an app and dont even run it... it cant be the app thats killing it.

Restore, then drain the battey till dead. Charge it back up and see if that helps.

and what apps did you get?

I was going to edit my post to say just that for apps like GPS, or other Navigation apps.. I guess if they keep sending pings of your location, it can use battery juice.

mwildermuth

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Playing games will drain your battery life in general, they use more of the processing power. Also if your games are doing push notifications this will take up more battery life too, like facebook or wordswithfriends does. You can turn off push notifications.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Playing games will drain your battery life in general, they use more of the processing power. Also if your games are doing push notifications this will take up more battery life too, like facebook or wordswithfriends does. You can turn off push notifications.

The only way fb or wwf push notifications will really harm battery life is if you're get them every minute of every hour all day long, I have them both and not once have I ever considered that

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Absolutely. For example, when Hanging with Friends first got release it torched the battery. They came out with a update a couple weeks later and in the notes, its said the battery drain fix.

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
They were:
Flow
Redlaser
Recipe Genius
Farkle

Well, after 1 hour, i only lost 3%, before I was losing almost 15% an hour, so getting rid of them obviously worked..

I have had Redlaser for months and Recipe Genius a week and have had NO additional battery drain with either app...

If you like them maybe you should reinstall one at a time and run them, monitoring your battery drain..

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW