I was wondering if you could help. I have set up my home wifi network on my phone, but sometimes when I come home, my phone does not automatically join the network. I have to sometimes manually connect to the network. Is there any way I can delve in to more advance wifi settings on the iPhone and perhaps tell my phone to automatically connect to this network and keep it as the preferred network when I am in the area? Thanks for any help.
    11-30-2011 08:41 AM
    I dont really know too much about advance settings on wifi, but within the wifi page where it shows all the networks, do you have "ask to join networks" turned OFF? If not, then turn that off and that may resolve your issue.
    leharris22 likes this.
    11-30-2011 09:02 AM
    But won't that just mean I will constantly join open networks?I don't necessarily won't that My home network is password protected, and I want it to latch on to that automatically. Oh, well. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
    11-30-2011 11:16 AM
    But won't that just mean I will constantly join open networks?I don't necessarily won't that My home network is password protected, and I want it to latch on to that automatically. Oh, well. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
    no--if you turn that OFF it wont ask you to join other networks. if you leave it as YES then it WILL ask you to join other networks--which is what you dont want
    leharris22 likes this.
    11-30-2011 11:18 AM
    Out of curiosity what kind of router are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-30-2011 12:23 PM
    I thought it was the opposite. Ha ha. Thanks for the clarification. Not sure what the router is...
    11-30-2011 01:08 PM
    Have you tried having it forget your network and re-adding it or resetting the network settings? I would try them in that order and see how it behaves.

Maybe even a firmware update to the router?

Just guessing here.
    11-30-2011 01:26 PM
    I thought it was the opposite. Ha ha. Thanks for the clarification. Not sure what the router is...
    no problem at all

the router is the device you connect your iphone into for wifi. ie. my router is a Linksys brand.
    11-30-2011 01:40 PM
    I would do what iErick said make it forget the network and reconnect it. If that doesn't work you may have to update the firmware on your router.. and if all else fails you may need a new router.
    11-30-2011 01:54 PM
    Ha ha. Sorry, I know what a router is, just not the brand of this one. I moved into this condo and the internet was already configured so I had nothing to do with setting it up. Sorry, I sound like a newb but honestly I am technically proficient. Came from being an avid BB beta tester and I'm used to fixing all the tech issues for friends, family and at work. I'm just getting used to iPhone and it's simplicity. It's amazing!
    11-30-2011 03:57 PM
    Probably an older router with outdated firmware. May or may not be the issue, worth a try though.

I too came from the BB world. Back when the iPhone 4 released on AT&T. Much better user experience. I am so over loading BETA OS's and updating all my apps manually. Loving this iWorld
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    11-30-2011 06:32 PM
    Ha ha. Sorry, I know what a router is, just not the brand of this one. I moved into this condo and the internet was already configured so I had nothing to do with setting it up. Sorry, I sound like a newb but honestly I am technically proficient. Came from being an avid BB beta tester and I'm used to fixing all the tech issues for friends, family and at work. I'm just getting used to iPhone and it's simplicity. It's amazing!
    :o oh oops lol. Well some people don't know what a router is so I took your question sincerely

As for bb's, yes I was a user for 4+yrs as well, and I'm done with loading os's, leak os's, shrinking os's, memory leaks, that dreaded clock spinning etc. Blah blah blah.

It's nice to have the simplicity of and iPhone that just works amazing is right !!
    leharris22 and _heatherly like this.
    11-30-2011 06:39 PM
    I think I have a similar issue that you describe OP. My phone will sometimes stay on 3g, even though my network is available. I can go into network settings and press on my network and I'll be on wifi within seconds. I thought it was kind of strange that my phone wouldn't connect to my network automatically. I also have the "ask to join network" turned off because I found that annoying.

P.S. My router is Medialink N Router, latest firmware.
    11-30-2011 06:39 PM
    ***Shakes over the many nights of installing and dealing with BB OS leaks...***
    11-30-2011 07:09 PM
    I used to love installing the OS updates on BB, and even building hybrids. But it took SOOOO long. But now that I see on iPhone it can be so quick and painless (all my apps and settings remain). It's so great. As for the wifi network issue, I have 'forgotten' and then re-added the network to my phone, so hopefully it will work correctly now. Thanks for the help.
    11-30-2011 08:55 PM
    ***Shakes over the many nights of installing and dealing with BB OS leaks...***
    lmao !!

I used to love installing the OS updates on BB, and even building hybrids. But it took SOOOO long. But now that I see on iPhone it can be so quick and painless (all my apps and settings remain). It's so great. As for the wifi network issue, I have 'forgotten' and then re-added the network to my phone, so hopefully it will work correctly now. Thanks for the help.
    I never got into hybrids, installing os's were enough headaches and time consuming just as is lol.

Yes, the iPhone is so nice to do updates on etc -quick AND painless

Hopefully your forgetting the wifi and adding it back on will fix your issue you were having
    11-30-2011 09:07 PM
    My better half had the same problem with her iPod touch 2nd and 4th gen. My 3rd gen and now my 4S connects automagically every time I'm within range. At some point in time when I was fiddling with her settings I got it working, but I'm not sure what did it :o I have no idea what difference there could have been as when this was going on we were running the same OS version on the same home network
    I'd go with the same suggestion of forgetting the network and adding it back in. I did that several times with the iPods and that may do the trick.

~Sent via Carrier Pigeon~
    12-01-2011 12:59 AM
    So far, so good. I had it turned off over night and in the morning it picked up the network. Hopefully when I back home tonight it will automatically connect to the network. Thanks for the help, guys.
    12-01-2011 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD