Battery? What about the POOR Reception with 4S

wylie73

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I will say, on Verizon, I have better reception with this phone than any phone I have ever owned (and I've owned a lot). Just my experience.

krs7272#AC

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Not bashing on Sprint but do you realize how slow Sprints 3G speeds are on the iPhone ? .3 - .6 Mbps down - there is no way I could live with those slow data speeds

I can only speak from one experience. I got my other sister an iPhone 4 on Sprint last weekend and while out I loaded multiple different pages while at a restaurant just around the corner. And speeds were exactly the same. I didn't go to the extent of running SpeedTest apps or anything. But was surprised most say how slow Sprint is. I know this is only one place and time but for this instance there was no discernible difference.

TinyBubbles

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I was camping in the middle of the woods and i had service on my 4s w/ verizon. My friend with AT&T iphone 4...no service. Just saying :eek:)

kiwiruss

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
My droidX used to struggle at my home to get 2 bars but now my iPhone 4s gets 2 - 4 bars in my basement ! I'm really impressed with the antenna. PS I use a bumper case on it.

teshub46

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I am with Verizon, while my cellular reception has been great, my 3G reception has been abysmal. My previous phone was a Palm Pre Plus. During my commute to and from work I was able to stream either Pandora or TuneIn Radio without interruption (except for the occasional heavy rain storm). I've had the iPhone 4S for just over a week and not have been successful streaming either app longer than 5 minutes, without it buffering for 10 minutes. This has been a huge disappointment for me. Even in work when I had the Pre I had no problems with 3G, but with the iPhone it has been very spotty. Not sure what to do. I would really hate to return the phone (I love everything else about it), but I don't want to spend the $30 for unlimited data (grandfathered in) without being able to fully utilize the benefit. I will try it for another few days, if it does not get better, I may (and I hate to say this) look at an Android phone with LTE.

krs7272#AC

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Well had to take my sister to tire store today. She has 4 on 4.3.3. Upon starting our wait we both had one bar. Field Test mine was-103 hers was -116. But the thing I noticed was even though hers was bad was still loading say foursquare where mine just never ending spinning wheel of death.

Also I noticed mine would as always lose the signal entirely "No Service" when I put it in my pocket where as hers held the low signal. So based on the last few outings I cant help but say my 4S compared to the 4 in low signal areas is a POS.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Well had to take my sister to tire store today. She has 4 on 4.3.3. Upon starting our wait we both had one bar. Field Test mine was-103 hers was -116. But the thing I noticed was even though hers was bad was still loading say foursquare where mine just never ending spinning wheel of death.

Also I noticed mine would as always lose the signal entirely "No Service" when I put it in my pocket where as hers held the low signal. So based on the last few outings I cant help but say my 4S compared to the 4 in low signal areas is a POS.

Wow thats crazy. Sorry to hear that. My in laws live in a bad cell phone area. Does not matter who the carrier is. My 4 use to get 1-2 bars. Now my 4S get 2-3 there. At my house, I use to get 3-4 and now I get 4-5 bars. It seems my 4S on average gets 1 bar better than my 4. I guess some things just cant be explained why different users get different results.

krs7272#AC

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
I found a thread on Apple support Communities that leads to believe there possibly is an issue with the card reader in the 4S and some claim its less of an issue with 128k sims vs 64k sims? But I cant find out what kind AT&T uses. Also on the thread consensus seems to be that people experiencing problems saw a rise in issue with 5.0.1 vs 5.0?

thread can be found here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3425746?start=0&tstart=0