Someone told me that when you go to find a wifi Internet password to go look on the side of a router and type in the WEP KEY numbers and that's the password that enables you to connect to the wifi. I remember you use to have to go on the computer and find the passwords and sometimes people have them created. So are router passwords the wepkey?
    11-26-2011 11:29 PM
    Someone told me that when you go to find a wifi Internet password to go look on the side of a router and type in the WEP KEY numbers and that's the password that enables you to connect to the wifi. I remember you use to have to go on the computer and find the passwords and sometimes people have them created. So are router passwords the wepkey?
    Only if the password has been changed in the router settings would you have to look it up
    11-26-2011 11:31 PM
    But when you install routers it asks you for a password so how does the password end up being on the side of the router? So another word for a password is a called a "WEP key"?
    11-26-2011 11:40 PM
    But when you install routers it asks you for a password so how does the password end up being on the side of the router? So another word for a password is a called a "WEP key"?
    Yes, just like my AT&T Uverse wireless modem/router came with wifi name and wep printed on the side and I changed them to my preference
    11-27-2011 12:00 AM
    So if you change them then enter the WEP key on the side it won't work correct? What else is a WEP key used for besides a password?
    11-27-2011 12:44 AM
    Basically, a router can have two passwords. One password let's you access the router software from a computer so that you can enter the router setup. Once you are in the router setup you can change things like the IP address, the wireless ID, and etc. When you configure the wireless part of the router you can then choose to password protect your wireless network, which can be WEP or WPA. So the two passwords are not the same. Usually the one on the side is for accessing the router software and not to connect to the wireless network(WEP key). To get the WEP key you need to ask whoever setup the wireless router, or know another user who is connected to the WiFi network. Hope this helps.
    11-27-2011 01:21 AM
    But the Wireless ID and password are printed on most carrier wireless routers, AT&T Verizon frontier Comcast etc
    11-27-2011 05:10 AM
    When you buy/rent a router, it has a preset password. The default security for most systems is WEP. To make it easy on the user, the password/key is printed on the side of the router because while many people will throw out or lose the instruction manual, they won't get rid of the router. So if you have to reset it and it goes back to the default settings - you'll know what the password is.

The key on the router is strictly to access the network provided by the router. To access the router's settings, you usually have to go to 192.168.1.1 and then enter the administrator name/password (the default is typically something original like admin and admin. It is highly advisable when setting up a new network that you change:

A: the broadcast network name (so instead of something like 2Wire637, you have a friendly name.
    B: the network password, so that you will remember it and be able to enter it when you add new devices, reset devices, or have friends visit.
    C: the admin name/password so that nobody can change any of your settings.
    hoosieriphone likes this.
    11-27-2011 07:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD