DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
My 4S just rebooted itself for no reason. Should I be concerned.? It's never done this before (I have had it since 10/14.). It's at 97% been off the charger for 2hrs or so. It was sitting in an area with a strong signal too. I am having flashbacks of my blackberry that used to do this all the time. Being my first iPhone I am not sure if this is normal.. I don't recall this as a common issue but am I wrong?

Any advice, suggestions, tips would greatly appreciated..

thanks!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
double press the home button and close the apps that are there. Could have been an app that caused the reboot.

rickylee626

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I have had my iPhone 4 (not 4S) since June and it has never randomly rebooted until after I upgraded to 5.0.1. So far it was a one time thing. It hasn't done it since. Maybe update bug?

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
If something gets caught up it may force a reboot but it's not a common thing with iPhones

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
My 4S just rebooted itself for no reason. Should I be concerned.? It's never done this before (I have had it since 10/14.). It's at 97% been off the charger for 2hrs or so. It was sitting in an area with a strong signal too. I am having flashbacks of my blackberry that used to do this all the time. Being my first iPhone I am not sure if this is normal.. I don't recall this as a common issue but am I wrong?

Any advice, suggestions, tips would greatly appreciated..

thanks!

It might be worth going into Settings/general/about, scroll right to the bottom and select Diagnostic & Usage, once in there select the Diagnostic & Usage Data. Have a look at any entries in there and see if there is any with PANIC.PLIST in the title. If there is then its a hardware fault and your iPhone will need to be replaced.

My first 4S would randomly reboot itself and when I checked in the diagnostic section there were PANIC.PLIST entries that corresponded to the time my 4S rebooted. I needed to have my 4S replaced.

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It might be worth going into Settings/general/about, scroll right to the bottom and select Diagnostic & Usage, once in there select the Diagnostic & Usage Data. Have a look at any entries in there and see if there is any with PANIC.PLIST in the title. If there is then its a hardware fault and your iPhone will need to be replaced.

My first 4S would randomly reboot itself and when I checked in the diagnostic section there were PANIC.PLIST entries that corresponded to the time my 4S rebooted. I needed to have my 4S replaced.

seriously? I looked and I have three entries with this in the log. Two on the 25th and one on the 19th of this month.

Great.. :(

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
I owned iPhones since the 3G and the times the phone randomly rebooted can be counted on one hand. Very rare issue and definitely should not be a concern.

Nonetheless, keep an eye on it. If it does it again relatively soon, you might need to take it to the Genius Bar. They can look at the logs and try to pin down the cause. But like I said, if it's a one time thing, no need to worry.

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
seriously? I looked and I have three entries with this in the log. Two on the 25th and one on the 19th of this month.

Great.. :(

The good thing with Apple is their customer service is superb. I called Apple Care about 10 days after I received my 4S (has this was when my 4S was getting PANIC.PLIST crashes). After a few questions the guy said to me that I would need my 4S replaced.

He then give me 3 options:

1: They would send me a new 4S out and I would need to box the faulty one up and give it to the delivery driver. But I would be charged a pickup fee that UPS charge.

2: They would send me an empty box for me to return the faulty 4S to Apple, after they received it back and tested it, I would then be sent a new 4S. But this could take around 10 days.

3: He could make an appointment at a Genius Bar at an Apple store and they would replace it.

Has luck would have it, I was going to a area that had an Apple store a couple of days after I made the call to Apple (otherwise my nearest Apple store is a 180 mile round trip). At my Genius Bar appointment the Genius guy done a few tests and said that he would replace it.

If you have an Apple Store within easy reach, then this would probably be the easiest/best option. I rang Apple Care and they made the Genius bar appointment for me, so I don't know if its possible to contact the Apple Store direct and make the appointment that way. But don't worry, Apple's customer service is superb and they will replace your iPhone with no hasssle.

Reactions: DreamOutLoud65

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
thanks Cleveland..

I made a online appt last nite with the genius bar for tuesday. We will see what happens. I have a apple store just a few minutes from my house.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
thanks Cleveland..

I made a online appt last nite with the genius bar for tuesday. We will see what happens. I have a apple store just a few minutes from my house.

No problem, apples customer service is great, be honest with your issues and lot of times they'll go above and beyond your expectations ;)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Mine will reboot once every few months or so. If its daily like a BlackBerry, then you have a problem

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It just rebooted again today.. I was reading online that they replace your iPhone with a refurbished one.. I don't want a used one I want a new one if they are going to do this.:(

happycamping

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
Problem

My only one week old iphone 4S rebooted twice in less than 2 hours. The panic.plist is showing as well. I contacted apple but I have a call back time set with them since I am at work and had a meeting to catch. But the cruddy thing is this phone is like a week old because my first iphone 4S was overheating so after 3 days I had that one replaced. Yup, I have upgraded to the iphone 4S about two weeks ago and if they replace this one it will be the 3rd for me in 3 weeks! I am getting very annoyed with having to format and all that stuff each time I get a new one. It takes way too much time! Hoping they can help me and get this problem solved (and this be it for me)! I love apple, I have had 3 different models now, wouldn't change to anything else...but come on, I need a break on this! Good thing I have applecare!

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
well, took it to the genius bar tonite.. the guy ran tests and said it was definitely the software that was corrupt not the hardware...hmmm... we'll see. He said he would note this and if it happens again they will definitely swap it out.

oh well. hopefully it won't but I have my doubts.:rolleyes:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2