What's everybodys preference as to when they charge the battery? I myself try to drain it fully every time and then give it a full charge but lately my battery is dying pretty quick.

Am I doing it wrong? Any help would be great.
    I'm on a 4s too.
    11-23-2011 07:35 PM
    I charge mine nightly at bedtime
    11-23-2011 07:44 PM
    I just charge mine nightly (average 6 hrs on charger). Unplugging at 0445 hrs with a lot of daily texting puts me at around 45% battery when I plug back in at 2100 hrs. The only time I have battery issues is when I am on an extended network signal. I also do a complete drain once a month and use the Boost Magic app.
    11-23-2011 07:55 PM
    I do the same just charge nightly I normally get like 5 hours usage the less usage the longer my standby time

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-23-2011 08:01 PM
    from my understanding you only need to run it completely down once a month - let it die completely, then recharge.

But I too recharge every night. Doing quick top-offs is ok..
    11-23-2011 08:27 PM
    So I should just charge it when it gets a bit low, not run it out every time?
    11-23-2011 08:47 PM
    I have a charger at home amd one at work. I have Siri remind me once a month to let my battery drain ( I heard from a thread that you were supposed to do that)
    11-23-2011 08:48 PM
    What's everybodys preference as to when they charge the battery? I myself try to drain it fully every time and then give it a full charge but lately my battery is dying pretty quick.
    Fully draining lithium cells isn't good for them. Top off as needed and fully drain once a month. You want to strike a balance and that's why Apple makes the recommendation below.

Am I doing it wrong? Any help would be great.
    Here's what Apple says (easy found by Googling):

Apple - Batteries - iPhone
    Use iPhone Regularly
    For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, its important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).
    leharris22 likes this.
    11-23-2011 10:25 PM
    I just charge mine while I sleep. I work 5 pm to 2 am so sometimes I'll plug it in on the way to work if needed.

Sent from my iPhone
    11-23-2011 11:50 PM
    It's not bad for the battery to be discharged completely before charging, but it will shorten its life. Lithium ion batteries have a limited number of charge cycles before they die. Charging nightly is best. Letting your battery fully discharge once a month should keep your "fuel gauge" (battery stats) accurate.

Sent from my InferiorHumanOrgan OV CM7.2 using Tapatalk.
    leharris22 likes this.
    11-24-2011 02:47 AM
    thanks everyone, I'm now going to change the way i charge up. whats the average lowest percent before charging up everyone lets it get to?
    11-24-2011 03:16 AM
    I let mine go to 20%
    11-24-2011 09:18 AM
    This is a summary of the best practices for charging, from Battery University:

Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid frequent full discharges and charge more often between uses. If full discharges cannot be avoided, try utilizing a larger battery. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery.
    11-24-2011 09:53 AM
    The lowest I've let mine go to is 20% also
    11-24-2011 09:57 AM
    i wake up and head to the gym at 4 am...this is when my phone gets plugged in. I officially leave my house for work at 8 am in the morning, and by then my battery is fully charged (with the plug icon). I occasionally charge mine overnight aswell.
    11-24-2011 12:41 PM
    I generally charge overnight with my 4 powered down. I power on between 5:45 and 6:00 and let it go through my work day which is normally 9-10 hours or more. Regardless of percentage (anywhere from 50-70+) I let it charge in my truck on the way home.
    11-24-2011 10:43 PM
    It's not bad for the battery to be discharged completely before charging, but it will shorten its life. Lithium ion batteries have a limited number of charge cycles before they die. Charging nightly is best. Letting your battery fully discharge once a month should keep your "fuel gauge" (battery stats) accurate.

Sent from my InferiorHumanOrgan OV CM7.2 using Tapatalk.
    Didn't you just contradict yourself? It's not bad but it will shorten its life? Shortening the life sounds bad to me!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-25-2011 12:26 AM
    Didn't you just contradict yourself? It's not bad but it will shorten its life? Shortening the life sounds bad to me!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Yeah but look at a laptop that you never unplug. After a couple months maybe even a year it can't even keep a charge. Which is why they recommend discharging it once a month.
    It might shorten the batteries life, but it'll keep it running better the time you have it
    hunoosh likes this.
    11-25-2011 12:32 AM
    I'm reading here how everyone charges up over night. Which is what I used to be able to do when I had my BB9810. However, I'm definitely using my iphone 4s more often than I used to use the BB. I charged while I sleep (during the day/work overnights). But I find myself "panicy" if I get under 30%. So I will end up doing a charge at that point which is usually 2 more times whether at night while at work or evening time. Most times I let it charge fully other times I can't and only charge to about 80%. I am constantly on my ip 4s (slight addiction here ;-/ ). I'm curious to know those of you only having to charge once overnight, are you a heavy user or what? I also like to do a total drain until shut down about once a month as well. Just trying to compare and see, first: how often the need for others second: any other people addicted and use their iphones allll day long?! Do I need counseling on this subject or what? LOL...help me out people.
    11-25-2011 12:49 AM
    Coming from my BlackBerry, which I'd charge overnight and run it. I'm finding the 4S battery very good - comparable to my best 3G BlackBerry. Combined with the tomtom mount to juice it on long trips I rarely run it down.. I too like to run it dead now and again to remind it of its full capacity... It really did help on my BlackBerrys but I think it's just an old habit for me now. I'll do it with laptops as well, once a month.
    11-26-2011 03:22 AM
    i charge my iphone only when ever i am not using it
    Ding Ding Ding - we have a winner!

I came from a blackberry which had a much better battery life - but I've learned to live with charging my 4S @ home, @ work and in the car.

Two follow on questions:

1. There seems to be some contradiction regarding whether one should let the battery fully drain once a month - I don't do that - but every now and then I get the 20% warning and then charge. If I read everything correctly - it's ok to NOT do this as long as you plan to keep it on a charge (i.e. the only negative effect is that it won't hold a charge longer) - is that correct?

2. I rarely power the device off - I may do start doing so every now and then (which I liken to a battery pull on the blackberry) - is there a recommendation on that?

Thanks.
    11-26-2011 09:59 AM
    Ding Ding Ding - we have a winner!

I came from a blackberry which had a much better battery life - but I've learned to live with charging my 4S @ home, @ work and in the car.

Two follow on questions:

1. There seems to be some contradiction regarding whether one should let the battery fully drain once a month - I don't do that - but every now and then I get the 20% warning and then charge. If I read everything correctly - it's ok to NOT do this as long as you plan to keep it on a charge (i.e. the only negative effect is that it won't hold a charge longer) - is that correct?

2. I rarely power the device off - I may do start doing so every now and then (which I liken to a battery pull on the blackberry) - is there a recommendation on that?

Thanks.
    Supposed to let the battery drain fully but not go dead, so let it get anywhere from 1-5% and charge it once a month like that

And out of all the 4 different iPhones I've used since 2007, I have very rarely ever powered them off, on all the time unless I'm on a plane, had no issues ever with batteries
    11-26-2011 11:25 AM
    I find if I leave it on charge more than 4 hrs it drops down to 97 % in the morning when I take it off the charger.If I take it off before 4hrs it stays at 100% for a long time
    11-26-2011 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD