Question about unlocked iPhone

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
So today in went in to apple to get my iPhone swapped out. Just some background info I am from Canada an my carrier is Rogers. The closest apple store to me is in Michigan; so I had to cross the border. Anyways when I went to get my phone swapped during the initialization the phone would not recognize the sim card. The apple genius guy then said "oh ur a Rogers customer, I am going to have to run a software on the phone before you are able to use ur sim card". So he went and did that and then my sim worked.

So my question... Is my iPhone now unlocked???

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
So today in went in to apple to get my iPhone swapped out. Just some background info I am from Canada an my carrier is Rogers. The closest apple store to me is in Michigan; so I had to cross the border. Anyways when I went to get my phone swapped during the initialization the phone would not recognize the sim card. The apple genius guy then said "oh ur a Rogers customer, I am going to have to run a software on the phone before you are able to use ur sim card". So he went and did that and then my sim worked.

It could be and logically that would make sense but typically thats not how an apple iPhone is unlocked... typically the carrier does something in the back end and you plug it into itunes for it to unlock..

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes it's odd because they definitely didn't have any Rogers branded phones being it was an American store. But I don't know how else they would have been able to use my sim.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes it's odd because they definitely didn't have any Rogers branded phones being it was an American store. But I don't know how else they would have been able to use my sim.

Do you know anyone with a sim card other then Rogers. Throw it in, see if it works. To me it sounds like they had to unlock it, but I don't really know.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Maybe. My guess is the genius guy loaded the Roger's specific carrier settings file to get things working. Every carrier has their own specific settings file that a phone will download in the activation process...since you were across an international border, they made things easier for you.

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
update...

just popped in my co workers bell mobility sim into my phone...and it worked...

guess its officially unlocked... im super excited...won't make much use of it till next year, but its great to have for sure...

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
update...

just popped in my co workers bell mobility sim into my phone...and it worked...

guess its officially unlocked... im super excited...won't make much use of it till next year, but its great to have for sure...

Good news to hear. It'll be worth a little more when you go to sell it. That's what I thought. I figured that a US apple store wouldn't have the software to lock a Canadian carrier iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73