Quick Battery Drain? Well here's a potential solution to your problem!

tritan

Jan 6, 2001
Visit site
Like many of the other iPhone 4S users out there, I was plagued by horrid battery life. I tried everything outlined here in the forums, until I reached a point where I didn't understand the point of having a "Smartphone" if I was turning all the "Smart" features off (Push E-mail, iCloud, etc) so I thought back to the methods I used with Android. This method may be outlined somewhere here, or it may not I'm not really concerned because I am putting my setup here and anyone is welcome to follow it and check their results.

Setup:
iCloud - Enabled everything to backup to iCloud
WiFi - Only on when somewhere with WiFi
Location Services (GPS) - Off; unless necessary
Email - Push enabled, 3 exchange server accounts
Brightness - Auto, I have it at 1/3 of the bar
Sounds - Ringer on, vibrate enabled
Network Settings - Data and voice roaming enabled
Time Zone Setting in Location Services - Disabled
Screen Timeout - 1 minute
And I never put the phone in Airplane Mode

This is a pretty Data hogging setup, so I'm sure the more that's disabled the better your results will be.

Here's the trick, follow these instructions CAREFULLY
  • Unplug your phone from the charger and run it down to 95% battery
  • Once it hits 95%, throw it back on the charger
  • Let the phone reach 100% but make sure it has the PLUG icon, not the lightning bolt
  • Enjoy your amazing battery life.

Many of you may be familiar with this method, it's called Trickle-Charging and it can potentially damage your battery's lifespan.. but let's be honest, we are all going to get the iPhone 5 so our batteries will last us well until then :D

Here's a screenshot from the beginning attached, and I will update with one at the end of the battery cycle.

How do you get a plug icon and not the lightening bolt? I plug into my computer and trickle and its a lightening bolt

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Yep! The Evo is bad!! I even got an extended battery for it that didn't help much.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

Ditto on that.

I had to get an extended battery for my EVO just to be able to make it through the day, but I also had a car charger, which I always used whenever I was in the car.

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Like many of the other iPhone 4S users out there, I was plagued by horrid battery life. I tried everything outlined here in the forums, until I reached a point where I didn't understand the point of having a "Smartphone" if I was turning all the "Smart" features off (Push E-mail, iCloud, etc) so I thought back to the methods I used with Android. This method may be outlined somewhere here, or it may not I'm not really concerned because I am putting my setup here and anyone is welcome to follow it and check their results.

Setup:
iCloud - Enabled everything to backup to iCloud
WiFi - Only on when somewhere with WiFi
Location Services (GPS) - Off; unless necessary
Email - Push enabled, 3 exchange server accounts
Brightness - Auto, I have it at 1/3 of the bar
Sounds - Ringer on, vibrate enabled
Network Settings - Data and voice roaming enabled
Time Zone Setting in Location Services - Disabled
Screen Timeout - 1 minute
And I never put the phone in Airplane Mode

This is a pretty Data hogging setup, so I'm sure the more that's disabled the better your results will be.

Here's the trick, follow these instructions CAREFULLY
  • Unplug your phone from the charger and run it down to 95% battery
  • Once it hits 95%, throw it back on the charger
  • Let the phone reach 100% but make sure it has the PLUG icon, not the lightning bolt
  • Enjoy your amazing battery life.

Many of you may be familiar with this method, it's called Trickle-Charging and it can potentially damage your battery's lifespan.. but let's be honest, we are all going to get the iPhone 5 so our batteries will last us well until then :D

Here's a screenshot from the beginning attached, and I will update with one at the end of the battery cycle.

I actually have been doing this since the day I got my iPhone 4S from the Apple Store on launch day. I use the car charger on the way into work, on the way home, and basically whenever in the car. Maybe that's why battery life has never been a problem for me on this iPhone.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
iPhone users who complain about battery life should be required to use a Android phone for 1 week. They won't complain about iPhone battery life anymore.

Reactions: GibMcFragger

ElwinAdam

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
i try it but dont get the plug icon too

Ok I figured it ok you just gotta wait till the phone is fully charged it goes to 100% but may have the lightning bolt cause it's not done yet so wait till it gets the plug symbol and you know that it's charged and you can unplug it

I'm not going to lie the battery on the iPhone lasts me through my day im 16 and by the end of school I have like 75% leftor around that. But what annoys me is the people saying they could go days win thier battery since I think that's impossible if they use it...if you mean by standby sure...but if you mean that you use it for like playing games some Internet and texting constintaly and you have days of battery you must be really lucky cause this trick didn't really work for me or maybe it did I just havnt noticed.

But in the end I dont want to disable features and the beautiful clear crisp light the iPhone 4s has to have a wonderful battery

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
IOS5.01 not solve this problem Well?

I'm trying to figure out the best practice to extend the overall life and health of the battery, while getting good battery life with a maphie juice pack air, with potential heavy use of the phone. At least 8 hrs of audio over Bluetooth a day. For a few month at the end of 2 years with my palm pre, my original battery's health was totally gone, along with two different sizes of extended batteries, so that I could only go a few hours before it turned off on itself. I want to get advertised battery life, which I probably am, but I'd like those advertised numbers two years from now, for whatever I do with it by then, or whoever I give it to.

dfrmnk

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
My problem solved after I changed my do-it-yourself microsim (understand - I cut the old SIM with scissors) for Vodafone's original.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
or better yet a blackberry..

BB's have the greatest battery life overall in the smartphone space. The recent 9900/9930 models have not been as good, but still can get through 24 hours for most users. My old Tour would go 3 days, Bold went 2.5, really old Curve lasted over 2 days. All with heavy use, hitting 2-3GB per month every month.
Never got more than 8 hours on any Android device I've owned.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
BB's have the greatest battery life overall in the smartphone space. The recent 9900/9930 models have not been as good, but still can get through 24 hours for most users. My old Tour would go 3 days, Bold went 2.5, really old Curve lasted over 2 days. All with heavy use, hitting 2-3GB per month every month.
Never got more than 8 hours on any Android device I've owned.

Well yea, you tend to get great battery life when you have a slow processor driving a tiny screen.

Its too bad you have to pull the battery out every day to keep it from running like a slug. I spent years riding the RIM train, I got off before it derailed....

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I was doing pretty well with my iPhone battery..until today. Last night I downloaded Cut the Rope...and now my battery is draining like mad. Anyone experiencing this? Can one game drain a battery quickly? I've only played it a handful (3-4) times for a few minutes today.

Edit: It's not the game. Just realized my data services weren't working properly (therefore my phone has been struggling all day to find signal) so had to restart. It's all good now :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods