Quick Battery Drain? Well here's a potential solution to your problem!

ballerx44

Banned
Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Like many of the other iPhone 4S users out there, I was plagued by horrid battery life. I tried everything outlined here in the forums, until I reached a point where I didn't understand the point of having a "Smartphone" if I was turning all the "Smart" features off (Push E-mail, iCloud, etc) so I thought back to the methods I used with Android. This method may be outlined somewhere here, or it may not I'm not really concerned because I am putting my setup here and anyone is welcome to follow it and check their results.

Setup:
iCloud - Enabled everything to backup to iCloud
WiFi - Only on when somewhere with WiFi
Location Services (GPS) - Off; unless necessary
Email - Push enabled, 3 exchange server accounts
Brightness - Auto, I have it at 1/3 of the bar
Sounds - Ringer on, vibrate enabled
Network Settings - Data and voice roaming enabled
Time Zone Setting in Location Services - Disabled
Screen Timeout - 1 minute
And I never put the phone in Airplane Mode

This is a pretty Data hogging setup, so I'm sure the more that's disabled the better your results will be.

Here's the trick, follow these instructions CAREFULLY
  • Unplug your phone from the charger and run it down to 95% battery
  • Once it hits 95%, throw it back on the charger
  • Let the phone reach 100% but make sure it has the PLUG icon, not the lightning bolt
  • Enjoy your amazing battery life.

Many of you may be familiar with this method, it's called Trickle-Charging and it can potentially damage your battery's lifespan.. but let's be honest, we are all going to get the iPhone 5 so our batteries will last us well until then :D

Here's a screenshot from the beginning attached, and I will update with one at the end of the battery cycle.

Reactions: Johngc82

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
another thing to be honest about is that this isn't going to fix the major bug in the os that does it..

Jason Black

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't have to do any of this and I get 3 days easily on my phone. With the iPhone. I think I can leave it for 2 weeks with it on, if no one calls me, text me and if I dont surf the web. Hell, that will probably be too easy. The battery life in this thing is beautiful man. Compared to my evo. I don't even touch my evo and I look again 3 hours later and see the battery life at 50.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't have to do any of this and I get 3 days easily on my phone. With the iPhone. I think I can leave it for 2 weeks with it on, if no one calls me, text me and if I dont surf the web. Hell, that will probably be too easy. The battery life in this thing is beautiful man. Compared to my evo. I don't even touch my evo and I look again 3 hours later and see the battery life at 50.

And taking 3 hours to get to 50% on the Evo was pretty damn good!

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Yep! The Evo is bad!! I even got an extended battery for it that didn't help much.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Here's the trick, follow these instructions CAREFULLY
  • Unplug your phone from the charger and run it down to 95% battery
  • Once it hits 95%, throw it back on the charger
  • Let the phone reach 100% but make sure it has the PLUG icon, not the lightning bolt
  • Enjoy your amazing battery life.

Many of you may be familiar with this method, it's called Trickle-Charging and it can potentially damage your battery's lifespan.. but let's be honest, we are all going to get the iPhone 5 so our batteries will last us well until then :D
Just a note on this.
DON'T DO THIS TOO OFTEN.
This is the (alleged) method for calibrating the battery meter. Although I and most others that use this method let the phone drain until the phone shuts down. Letting it drain until it shuts down does not harm the battery (any more than a 95% drain). The protection circuit in modern Li-ion packs prevent full discharge. BUT you do want to get the battery back on the charger ASAP.
Also, many don know that it is best to always keep your Li-ion pack topped off as much as possible to extend the battery life. So keep them plugged in, it's actually good.
Here is some lite reading:
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Just a note on this.
DON'T DO THIS TOO OFTEN.
This is the (alleged) method for calibrating the battery meter. Although I and most others that use this method let the phone drain until the phone shuts down. Letting it drain until it shuts down does not harm the battery (any more than a 95% drain). The protection circuit in modern Li-ion packs prevent full discharge. BUT you do want to get the battery back on the charger ASAP.
Also, many don know that it is best to always keep your Li-ion pack topped off as much as possible to extend the battery life. So keep them plugged in, it's actually good.
Here is some lite reading:
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

In which case, am I actually doing it right than? Bought the mophie air through sprint in the same order as when I got the phone, and the phone is essentially always at 100% charge because the mophie is always on and recharged every night. I've been crossing my fingers that this isn't bad for the iPhone's battery.

scotiez

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
i did the same.. only when i bought my 4s i bought the mophie juice pack plus. But i only run my juice pack when i run the phones battery down to 40%. I do not leave the switch on all the time.. only when i need it. you get much longer battery life between plugin it in then.. I plug mine in and charge both the phone and mophie every 3 days. Just let it charge over night and your good to go.

Battery University is a great site to learn about our lithium based batterys. there are many debates on contitioning a battery. Heres the facts. There are two types of lithium based batteries. Multicell and single cell batteries. Multicell batteries require conditioning that means the 1st 3 drains should be all the way to 0 then charged to 100%, Do this 3 times and then once about every 100 charge cylcles. By doing this you get all the cells back to even for even movement of ions.
Our Cell phone or smart phones have single cell lithium based batteries in them. NO conditioning is required. The only requirement is to fully charge the battery before use. But how many of us do that? I don't ... i am excited on getting my new phone so i use it right away and wait till i go to bed to put it on the charger. This has not seemed to harm the battery at all. It is recomended to do short charges to 100%, This is better for your battery then doing a full drain till it dies, This can hurt and shorten the life of your battery. If you can't do short charges then it is recommended to charge your battery once it hits 20%.

Like i said earlier in my post their are many debates on what is right. I have done extensive research in this and i believe Battery Univeristy is a great place to learn. They have the documentation on the studies and reports they have done on batteries. I believe you will find them quite right on their recomendation.

Some of you are gona say well Apple recommends to do a full discharge and recharge once a month. I do not believe this will hurt your battery as long as you don't do it every day.
Again this is what i believe in after doig alot of research, You are all entitled to believe and do what you want. but i do think you will find the facts on battery university pretty convincing.

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Everyone always debates how to treat a lithium battery. But, the bottom line is that they do not retain memory and they are sturdy little guys. You can charge and discharge when you like.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
First off, I have to agree that in general, the batteries in the Android phones suck all around AND it will only be worse with the 4G technology. This is no secret. I had an original Droid and the battery life on that was much worse than than the iPhone. After killing 2 regular batteries, I had purchased an extended life battery which was delivering not much more time than my iPhone does now. The iOS5 fix did help. The reality, if you don't use the device, the standing time can easily go 2-3 days. If you use it, guess what!!! This is the simple reality of things. I picked up 4 extra chargers for less than $2 each on eBay. I also have an accessory plug-in battery pack so I'm good.
I do use a battery charge manager (Boost Magic) and it seems to help with topping off the charge as it were. I paid some serious bucks for this thing and will be using it for more than phone calls and video games. I have 2 Google emails with tasks and calendars tied in and it goes from there. Drive a car, you need gas, use the device, you need juice!!! For those who's phones are draining like an old rusty Ford with a V8, I'd go have a talk with an Apple store.. right after double checking that you don't have a bunch of stuff turned on that you're not using. This is a great phone with a decent battery by modern standards. Enjoy it!!!

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

From this link. This should summarize everything:
Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid frequent full discharges and charge more often between uses. If full discharges cannot be avoided, try utilizing a larger battery. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73