Can somebody tell me what this option does when you add a new contact? You can either add their number normally or under "iPhone" option?
    11-18-2011 10:37 AM
    what does this option mean under creating a new contact?
    11-18-2011 12:00 PM
    if the contact has an iPhone.. choose iPhone so you know you can iMessage & facetime

actually I am not sure if it matters.... All of my contacts show the facetime button... so maybe its just to tell you that the iPhone specific features will work
    11-18-2011 12:14 PM
    I wouldn't worry with it too much, UNLESS it happens to show in GMail, too (if you use a GMail account)...
    11-18-2011 12:54 PM
    if the contact has an iPhone.. choose iPhone so you know you can iMessage & facetime

actually I am not sure if it matters.... All of my contacts show the facetime button... so maybe its just to tell you that the iPhone specific features will work
    yeah, i believe its for your own personal info. I don't have iPhone selected for anyone in my phonebook, and they all give me the option to facetime, and the iphone contacts automatically imessage.
    11-18-2011 12:54 PM
    its just so you know if they have a iPhone or not nothing more nothing less..
    11-18-2011 12:55 PM
    I wondered, too. But iMessage picks up if the other phone number.email is associated with an iOS 5 device, so this was odd to me.
    11-18-2011 01:13 PM
    Just something that has always been there since iOS 1.0 lol
    11-18-2011 01:16 PM

actually I am not sure if it matters....
    I'm gonna guess (jokingly) It's so you know which people on your contact list is as cool as you *rolls eyes*
    11-18-2011 06:11 PM
    I'm gonna guess (jokingly) It's so you know which people on your contact list is as cool as you *rolls eyes*
    The only thing I have noticed is incoming calls ... With iPhone moniker in contacts you get a full screen pic of who is calling and with anything else it's a thumbnail ... I am pretty sure of this, but maybe not lol
    11-18-2011 06:30 PM
    The only thing I have noticed is incoming calls ... With iPhone moniker in contacts you get a full screen pic of who is calling and with anything else it's a thumbnail ... I am pretty sure of this, but maybe not lol
    I don't think so. I get full screen pics no matter who calls me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-18-2011 06:33 PM
    I don't think so. I get full screen pics no matter who calls me.

Could have changed for iOS 5 ... I am pretty damn sure it was that way previously
    11-18-2011 06:34 PM
    Could have changed for iOS 5 ... I am pretty damn sure it was that way previously

If you take a full screen shot with your iPhone and save it as your caller ID photo, it will show full screen when someone calls. I still have old contact photos transferred over from my BlackBerry address book and those are thumbnail-sized when those people call.
    E_Brown likes this.
    11-18-2011 08:27 PM
    If you take a full screen shot with your iPhone and save it as your caller ID photo, it will show full screen when someone calls. I still have old contact photos transferred over from my BlackBerry address book and those are thumbnail-sized when those people call.
    Good to know. thanks!

11-18-2011 08:32 PM
    Can somebody tell me what this option does when you add a new contact? You can either add their number normally or under "iPhone" option?
    If a contact has an iPhone, it doesn't matter if you have their # listed under "iPhone" or "mobile" since iMessage and FaceTime will work either way. Probably just an nice feature for those who have more than one cell phone (some people have BlackBerry for work use and and an iPhone for personal use) and this way you can quickly choose which number you want to call or text.
    11-18-2011 08:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD