Is this normal? (Battery Life)

JamesKnox212

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey Ladies and Gents,

So, I picked up the 4S yesterday after being a LONG time Blackberry User. I like the phone but one thing seems insane to me. I took the phone off the charger at 8am from being charged overnight. It is now 10:30am and the battery is at 75% --- Is this normal? At this rate it seems like I will be at 50 percent a little after 12 noon.

JamesKnox212

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay first things first.

Have you update to iOS 5.0.1?

then turn off the following in location services turn off Time zone
Also reset your network settings.

Yes! I have updated to 5.0.1
I did not turn off Location Services. I thought I would need that; but will do. I will also turn off timezone and reset network settings. ------ How exactly do you reset the network settings

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Your battery will get better after a few days. I always let my battery drain fully after my first full charge, and it seems to be better. I have seen it where people can go a day on a charge, and people who go 12 hours on a charge. It all depends on usage. If I were you I would give it a few days, and see if it gets better.

Reactions: JamesKnox212

Nibbz

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't get people's issues with battery. I have not had one issue with my iPhones battery yet. I typically run the battery down 100% and plug it in then, usually get more than a day out of it.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Turning off stocks an weather in notification center helped me and seem after last couple days mine got better yesterday I was able to go from 9am or so till 1230am and still had 40 percent so seems like it takes some settling time

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Turning off stocks an weather in notification center helped me and seem after last couple days mine got better yesterday I was able to go from 9am or so till 1230am and still had 40 percent so seems like it takes some settling time

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Yeah, I turned off the Stock, and some of the location services, and that seems to help.

Accidental Post

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
To reset network settings go here

Settings>General>Reset> Reset network settings phone will reboot.

You will have to setup wifi again. Also turn off ask to join networks,

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay first things first.

Have you update to iOS 5.0.1?

then turn off the following in location services turn off Time zone
Also reset your network settings.
Did you mean "turn off location services" entirely AND turn off Time zone, or just "turn off Time Zone within Location services" ? (I thought location services was neccessary for some Siri stuff).
Does the turn off Ask to Join Networks mean that you won't be able to choose WiFi networks at Starbucks, etc?

Last edited:

JamesKnox212

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't get people's issues with battery. I have not had one issue with my iPhones battery yet. I typically run the battery down 100% and plug it in then, usually get more than a day out of it.

What do you mean you don't "get" people's issues with battery? I explained the issue. Battery off charger at 8am and by 10:30am it was at 75% ------ Do you not understand how that could be a problem?

scotiez

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't go and turn off location services totaly, Go through the list and turn off items that don't need to check your location. About the only items i have left on is maps, compass, siri, safari, and facebook. I left all the setting on in system services, BUT some people have had trouble with automatic time zone settings. If you see a little purple arrow then it is being active and using your location, You can turn this off. Another one to turn off is Location-Based iAds, This becomes active when certain apps open up getting your location for localized advertising. Another one you can turn off is Traffic, This is usefull if you live in a large city and using maps for navigation. It will show you traffic .. but like me i live in a small rural area and it is basicly useless to me.

Accidental Post

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Did you mean "turn off location services" entirely AND turn off Time zone, or just "turn off Time Zone within Location services" ? (I thought location services was neccessary for some Siri stuff).
Does the turn off Ask to Join Networks mean that you won't be able to choose WiFi networks at Starbucks, etc?

Just turn off the time zone in locations.

Turning off ask to join networks just means that the popup goes away and stops the phone from looking for networks. You can still join a network when you go into the wifi settings.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I don't usually go a day without plugging my phone in multiple times such as car dock, dock at work computer, etc. I wouldn't even know if i had bad battery life. But i decided to not charge at all til i ran it down all the way. Though i did have it plugged in for 20 secs or so out of habit before it kicked in i was testing battery life and unplugged.

I disabled the widgets in the pull down because i would never use them. I leave most apps on for notifications or location. BT is on all the time. Wifi is left on all the time. Use Gmail on exchange and icloud email. I've left ask to join network on. Haven't touched time zone settings. And location on iads is disabled. Raise to speak is off too for Siri as i don't need that.

Here's the screen shot at 1% last night as it was getting ready to power off. I'll probably never see this again so low :p

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't usually go a day without plugging my phone in multiple times such as car dock, dock at work computer, etc. I wouldn't even know if i had bad battery life. But i decided to not charge at all til i ran it down all the way. Though i did have it plugged in for 20 secs or so out of habit before it kicked in i was testing battery life and unplugged.

I disabled the widgets in the pull down because i would never use them. I leave most apps on for notifications or location. BT is on all the time. Wifi is left on all the time. Use Gmail on exchange and icloud email. I've left ask to join network on. Haven't touched time zone settings. And location on iads is disabled. Raise to speak is off too for Siri as i don't need that.

Here's the screen shot at 1% last night as it was getting ready to power off. I'll probably never see this again so low :p

Yeah that is pretty much what I get when I drain my battery down completely. My standby will vary, sometimes it'll be 28 hours or so, but that's about what I get out of usage, somewhere around 7 hours. I really hope the people that are seeing battery stats at half of that are able to get it fixed with new hardware, or an update.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Yeah that is pretty much what I get when I drain my battery down completely. My standby will vary, sometimes it'll be 28 hours or so, but that's about what I get out of usage, somewhere around 7 hours. I really hope the people that are seeing battery stats at half of that are able to get it fixed with new hardware, or an update.

Yeah, it depends on what you're doing too. I mostly did news apps, browsing, texting, safari, snapped pics, messaged them, phone, ibooks...

If i had played games for any decent length of time, used Navigon, etc..it'd have drained it much faster. Then there's streaming video or pandora which i didn't do. It's difficult to pin down what is good battery life and what is normal usage as that differs for everyone. For navigon & streaming in car, it'd be plugged in normally.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR