So why does apple not allow d/l over 3G for 20MB < apps?

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it, why does apple require us to d/l apps over wifi only if they are bigger than 20mb? If Verizon allows it what would make apple not allow it?

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Because then they'll have users blaming them, when they go over their data limits.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I love how people's stupidity is partially to blame..... If you cant figure outh that downloads are going towards your data cap then you shouldn't have a phone.

Ok enough of my mini rant..... I'm just mad I don't have wifi access at work.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling that the carriers made that part of the deal with Apple, to preserve network and data.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I love how people's stupidity is partially to blame..... If you cant figure outh that downloads are going towards your data cap then you shouldn't have a phone.

Not everyone has a tiered data plan. Lots of people, myself included, have unlimited data. Even still, there are other things besides downloading that eat up data. I'd imagine someone who streams Sirius or Pandora eats up a lot more data than someone who downloads a few apps,.

Last edited:

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have unlimited too....its a pain though trying to get an app and having to hunt down some wifi

Turn your wifi on and drive around and wait on your phone to tell you there's a wifi connection available. Most hotels have unrestricted wifi. Wal-Mart here has wifi as do most hospitals. I've sat in a hospital parking lot before I worked for one and have used their wifi for a bit to get a few things done because I was too broke to afford my own internet.

IamHahn

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling that the carriers made that part of the deal with Apple, to preserve network and data.

This has been discussed as nauseum on the web, it is the carriers who inforce the limit. This keeps there data bandwidth low with so many smartphone users.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been complaining about this as well lately. I don't know anywhere I can get free wi-fi. Every time I find it I can't connect because it's protected.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I've been complaining about this as well lately. I don't know anywhere I can get free wi-fi. Every time I find it I can't connect because it's protected.

Really? Right off the top of my head... I know I can get free wifi at my favorite coffee place, the public library, the local McDonalds, the interstate rest area up the road just to name a few... you might have to go in a buy a coffee and ask for the current password at the coffee place to use their free wifi... and I'd buy the coffee anyway... and then there's wifi at home...

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Really? Right off the top of my head... I know I can get free wifi at my favorite coffee place, the public library, the local McDonalds, the interstate rest area up the road just to name a few... you might have to go in a buy a coffee and ask for the current password at the coffee place to use their free wifi... and I'd buy the coffee anyway... and then there's wifi at home...

not everyone lives in places with wi-fi all over..

StefR

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately, most people are idiots and most people want to have the coolest and best thing around, even if they don't know how to use it, so in turn, a lot of idiots have iPhones, and they only use it to check email and text, so they probably got rid of their unlimited data plan to save a measly $5 a month (even tho they will end up paying a lot more for data in the future when 2GB doesn't get you very far), so Apple has to idiot proof things, such as only allowing 20MB downloads over WiFi.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, most people are idiots and most people want to have the coolest and best thing around, even if they don't know how to use it, so in turn, a lot of idiots have iPhones, and they only use it to check email and text, so they probably got rid of their unlimited data plan to save a measly $5 a month (even tho they will end up paying a lot more for data in the future when 2GB doesn't get you very far), so Apple has to idiot proof things, such as only allowing 20MB downloads over WiFi.

this isnt correct either.. the 20 mb limit was in effect well before there was data limits it has nothing to do with the data limits

Spiral_ouT

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure the limit was requested by carriers. iOS applications are a lot larger than Android applications which is probably why the limit is not set on those devices.

Example: Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus
on iOS: 567 MB
on Android: 1.1 MB

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
not everyone lives in places with wi-fi all over..

I'm in rural Iowa and if I can find wifi and it's not that difficult to find free wifi... Iowa interstate rest areas have it... many public libraries have free wifi... if one is motivated enough, it could be had.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal