Rookie ? Is 16GB enough?

DarkStar50

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been using a BB for the last 3 years but the time has come to move on. I'm trying to get a handle on whether or not 16GB is enough. I will not be putting music on the 4S as I have the ipod for that. Any ideas and opinions would be appreciated on the 16GB size.

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
It depends. Are you going to put videos on your iPhone? Because those will eat up a lot of space. Pictures, apps, etc.

Remember, the OS takes a few GB off the top. So it's really not 16GB, more like 11GB.

I have 9.4GB available, used 4.2GB. I've used over 2GB in music alone, then apps and pictures.

My next iPhone will be a 32GB for sure.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk!

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
It does depend on what you want on it. I have a 16G and it's plenty enough for me. I have 20 apps, not many pics, some music(maybe a few hundred songs) and no videos.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I would say 16GB is enough for most people. I have the 16GB with 49 apps, 703 songs, 5 movies, 815 photos and still have 2.3GB free. If you plan on using more then that, get the 32GB.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Lend273

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I also debated whether to buy 16 or 32 gig for my first iPhone.
My iPad is 64 gig but I don't need all that on my iPhone.
Right now I have on my 16gig iPhone:
28 songs
859 photos
91 apps
No videos

The 16gig iPhone actually has 13.6 gig useable space.
With all of the above I still have 4.2 gig free.

Len

DarkStar50

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
This info helps. I know I'll have pictures saved but no music or videos. I'll add apps for sure. That is one of the big "deal breakers" for me with BB. That said, I asked the sales guy at the Verizon store if apps take up space on GB. He said no. True or false?

RR88

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I've never had more than a 16GB! Depends what you really want to do for music I guess, I have about 1500 songs on there with about 125 apps.. like 100 pics maybe.. not many videos yet though.. and I have about 1.5 gigs left.. this is pretty much 99% good for me.. alot of my songs I get sick of anyways so I change em out when I find somethin new.. if you wanted to have pretty much ANYTHINGG and EVERRYTHING than you might be interested in a higher capacity.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I think I heard apps are stored in the cloud now? Not 100% sure

They take up space on your device, or you can't use them. You can delete the App from your phone, and it'll stay on your purchased in iTunes, but you can't use the app again until it's re-downloaded.

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't hurt to have more space than you use. I bought the 64, but I travel a lot so i have a lot of videos and movies and I have around 1800 songs on it - that takes up almost 10gb alone. When I got the 4 last year I got 32gb and that was full pretty much immediately. I like having the extra space and I like not having to carry an iPod and a phone.

Jsince80

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
16gb works for me I only keep some of my must have music and apps on my 4s. I have a lot of space left on mine that I wouldn't even use half of.

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you put music on your device? I would hate carrying around two devices, but that's just me. Curious as to why others don't put music on their iPhones.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you put music on your device? I would hate carrying around two devices, but that's just me. Curious as to why others don't put music on their iPhones.

I was wondering the same thing. I have a friend who doesn't, but it's because she uses a 160GB classic that is full, and doesn't want to pick and choose what will be on her iPhone. So I guess that could be a reason.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I'd recommend the 32, you can never have too much storage and the more GB you have the higher the resale too ... 64 was overkill for me when I have a 64 GB iPad 2, but I'm only two weeks with my 4S ... Have to wait a few months to see if that's accurate lol

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have all my Music and Games and Videos on my iPod touch 32GB. My iPhone is mostly used for Networking and Photos. I hardly carry my iPod with me at all times, mostly for long car rides or work and gym. My Phone is a 16GB and I have 25 Apps, with 12.5GB left to spare. I never really cared for a big phone because I have my iPod. Maybe It would be a good idea to have, just one device. For me though with games killing my battery, I wouldn't test it. Which is why I don't mind carrying two devices for the time being.

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing. I have a friend who doesn't, but it's because she uses a 160GB classic that is full, and doesn't want to pick and choose what will be on her iPhone. So I guess that could be a reason.

Wow. How many songs is that?

My sister had about 3,500 on her old iPod and she updated it and lost most of them.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Wow. How many songs is that?

My sister had about 3,500 on her old iPod and she updated it and lost most of them.

I'm not sure how many songs it is, but I know it's mostly Beatles, and Phish. She has like every show they've ever done. It think it's weird.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
This info helps. I know I'll have pictures saved but no music or videos. I'll add apps for sure. That is one of the big "deal breakers" for me with BB. That said, I asked the sales guy at the Verizon store if apps take up space on GB. He said no. True or false?

applications do take up space... I have 125 apps that take up over 2 gb

and the previous poster that said you only have 11 gb out of the 16 is incorrect its more like 14gb if your completely unsure go with the 32gb as you cant add more space later