Why did I upgrade my 4s to 5.0.1. Big mistake! Now a battery issue!

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Eveyone:

Before upgrading the operating system on my 4s, I had no battery drain issue. Guess what?

After upgrading to 5.0.1, my battery now drains extremely fast. It was at 88% last night and when I awoke this morning it was at 44%. After typing 1 email, it went down to 37%. I have not played any games, surfed the web, etc.

The setting were not changed. No bluetooth or wifi were on for example. What is going on?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Any suggestions?

Update: I just typed another email of 4 sentences and drained another 5%. This is crazy. I am very mad!

Last edited:

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I haven't upgraded to 5.0.1 for this exact reason. I have a good battery, and don't want that to change. Good luck. Hopefully there is a change.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm staying away from .1 too. I don't have any problems with battery life. I did update my ipad 2 just to cover that smart cover - lock screen issue tho.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Eveyone:

Before upgrading the operating system on my 4s, I had no battery drain issue. Guess what?

After upgrading to 5.0.1, my battery now drains extremely fast. It was at 88% last night and when I awoke this morning it was at 44%. After typing 1 email, it went down to 37%. I have not played any games, surfed the web, etc.

The setting were not changed. No bluetooth or wifi were on for example. What is going on?

Any suggestions?

Update: I just typed another email of 4 sentences and drained another 5%. This is crazy. I am very mad!

Backup to iCloud, do a restore in iTunes, restore backup from iCloud. That fixed it for me.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Backup to iCloud, do a restore in iTunes, restore backup from iCloud. That fixed it for me.
Can't do it that way. Can't use icloud for calendar, contacts, etc. It s on work computer with windows xp and synching with outlook. In addition, Outlook synchs to a legal practice management software. Would create dupicates.

Also, can't use exchange.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Eveyone:

Any suggestions?

I just spent 4 hours on phone with applecare troubleshooting incl. reset to factory. It didnt work. They told me another patch will come out. I said how do I know my phone battery will work better then. Dont want to reload everything and rest after patch and be back at square one, wasting that many hours again. now have to replace phone. Trying to get an appointment within a reasonable time to pick up replacement.

My intial impressions of Apple are dead wrong. They s--k. I can't go into apple to a replacement phone without an appointment and when I go in with my appointment there may not be a phone available. The last hour is just tring to set up an appointment to replace the phone.

This is worse than dealing with the US government.

When I bought my phones from my carrier, Verizon, if I had to replace a phone or any part, I would just walk in and they would replace it.

jimpilot

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi Eveyone:

Any suggestions?

Pretty much what I'm seeing.The phone got through the work day fine before but now doesn't get through a weekend day. I was going to wait and see how it did during the work week, but I am very concerned.

Hopefully the patch to the patch will come out soon. :D

Update: Took the plunge and backed up to icloud, factory reset and then loaded back up. Everything came back as it was and battery life seems back to the same as 5.0. Worth it.

Last edited:

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Fixed it for me too !

Will doing a "restore" keep or discard setting made in apps such as Reminders? What about other downloaded apps and their settings.. will these be retained?

I guess the simpler question would be, by doing a "restore' using iTunes, what apps/data/information gets wiped out and what gets saved either through iTunes or iCloud?

I use Google for my Calendar, Contacts and Emails...

Reactions: reltm

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
No problems here. I upgraded from itunes though which downloaded the full OS. Perhaps this is a glitch from upgrading from the phone itself which only offered the delta upgrade?

Last edited:

ccsuwxman

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Did not have a problem before the patch. Downloaded it and battery life seems better. One thing however...I ALWAYS fully shut down apps after I close them. I've seen friends that have 20+ apps running in the background (they don't automatically shut down when you press the home button to close them) and some of them can suck battery power even when you think they're not running.

Double click the home button, and a row of apps will appear at the bottom of the screen. These are all running in the background. Hold on any one of them, and "-" signs will appear on each of them, and they'll wiggle. Tap the minus sign on each app you want to fully shut down. Betcha dollars to donuts that your battery life will improve.

kenhiraihnl

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
No problem here actually I never had a problem seems to have a better battery life now

+1! I've always made sure that no apps are running when the phone locks. I also turn off BT when I'm not using it. My wife has BT in her Mini, and I notice that she never turns the BT off in her 4s. Last night I watched a volleyball match on TV, and took my 4s out of my pocket to check my email inbox. It was showing 100% charge. I thought the batt indicator was broken. 5.0.1 works.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Will doing a "restore" keep or discard setting made in apps such as Reminders? What about other downloaded apps and their settings.. will these be retained?

I guess the simpler question would be, by doing a "restore' using iTunes, what apps/data/information gets wiped out and what gets saved either through iTunes or iCloud?

I use Google for my Calendar, Contacts and Emails...

Make sure you sync to iCloud and restore the device and then you restore from backup from iCloud

Reactions: Rockdog97

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal