Anyone else having issues with calls connecting?

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Just an update: Still no resolution on this. Apple and I have a plan, we're just waiting on the AT&T Engineers to have time to work on it again. We're probably going to freeze my current number on my account and start with a new phone, new SIM, new account, and new number and move my current number over if that solves the problem.

That's a helluva an idea... I hope if you have unlimited data they grandfather it back in for you

Joan SC

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I have Verizon and mine does the same exact thing. The call receiver will hear the phone ring, but nothing on my end. I redial and the call goes thru. My daughter has the IP 4 and her's works fine, My 4S doesn't. It doesn't happen every call, but maybe 1 out of 4. It doesn't matter if my WIFI is on or not, if I'm at home, in the car or work. VERY VERY irritating.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
That's a helluva an idea... I hope if you have unlimited data they grandfather it back in for you
I don't but I don't need it either. I don't go near 2GB. My main concern is losing this phone number, which is tied to my business and will require a reprint of $thousands in printed material.

I have Verizon and mine does the same exact thing. The call receiver will hear the phone ring, but nothing on my end. I redial and the call goes thru. My daughter has the IP 4 and her's works fine, My 4S doesn't. It doesn't happen every call, but maybe 1 out of 4. It doesn't matter if my WIFI is on or not, if I'm at home, in the car or work. VERY VERY irritating.

I am curious what ATT will tell us, Apple is resigned that it's a package problem, as in, all of it is messed up, and s tarting fresh will hopefully fix it. But we'll see what happens. It's still open at ATT, and clearly it's not a priority that someone's phone work. Apple is all over them though.

Last edited:

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
SO...here's the latest update. Not only is this still an issue, but my texts are now failing to send and requiring me to resend them as well. I'd say about 1/3 of them are needing to be resent. Doesn't matter if it is a text or an iMessage either, nor does it matter which carrier.

NOTHING has really happened since I ran traceroutes on November 16. NOTHING. Apple and I have called ATT repeatedly, and found out that nothing has been done, so and so in engineering is the next person, well so and so hasn't returned anyone's call. So I lost it the other night when I found out that not only did ATT not work with the Apple Engineers when Apple FINALLY got one on the phone again because I was not on the phone, AND yknow, it's not like you don't have my damn PHONE NUMBER to CALL ME and resolve that small hiccup. I mean I know that's foreign and all. :rolleyes: Not only was that an issue but someone at ATT saw that there was a date of Resolution "service level agreement" for December 8, and CLOSED THE TICKET. Just decided it was done. Wasnt but thanks. So when I found that out from Apple yesterday I went off the deep end. I found the CEO's email address, I found their Better Business Bureau email department...and I emailed about 20 people. The CEO's office called me within 10 minutes of that email, because I reminded them that THEY mentioned SLA. It had been explained to ME that that means if it's not resolved by that aforementioned date, that my contract with them is violated, and I can leave no questions asked with all three lines.

That must have been enough panic because I had that call IMMEDIATELY. And within 15 minutes another exec called me. And within 45 minutes a senior tech called. And this morning on a Saturday the original traceroute engineer called me. Only to tell me that we have to run all our traceroutes again because the senior engineering team said they were no longer valid being a month old.

Let's say that didn't get the happy response I think she expected. She's not the problem, so I did apologize. But I told her that I can give her my list of fail and success calls for the last month since I've actually kept notes of that. I also told her that those are only the calls I make on that phone bec I've had to use other phones to make my calls.

I left another message at teh CEO's office and told him that I am giving them til Tuesday to make this fix occur. Otherwise we're going with Apple's plan.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
ame- I am completely shocked at the problem you are having with your 4S and ATT. I really hope you get a resolution on this.

I wonder what would happen if you took your microsim out of your 4S and turned off your husband's, iphone 4 and put your microsim in the 4 and booted it up. I would expect your number now to be active in your husbands iphone 4. I also wonder if you tried the same process with your husband's microsim card in your iphone 4S. I have swapped microsim cards with sim adapters in different iphone 3G, 3Gs, 4 (as well as non iphones) before when troubleshooting phone issues. I havent had to call customer service to change anything. Once powered down and put original sim card back in and powered up, I had no issues.
I never expected to have issues. I wonder if the process has changed on ATT side since the 4s debuted.

Anyhow, just thinking out loud. I know that when I did this before with my 4 on other iphones, I was able to troubleshoot a sim card tray issue.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
ame- I am completely shocked at the problem you are having with your 4S and ATT. I really hope you get a resolution on this.

I wonder what would happen if you took your microsim out of your 4S and turned off your husband's, iphone 4 and put your microsim in the 4 and booted it up. I would expect your number now to be active in your husbands iphone 4. I also wonder if you tried the same process with your husband's microsim card in your iphone 4S. I have swapped microsim cards with sim adapters in different iphone 3G, 3Gs, 4 (as well as non iphones) before when troubleshooting phone issues. I havent had to call customer service to change anything. Once powered down and put original sim card back in and powered up, I had no issues.
I never expected to have issues. I wonder if the process has changed on ATT side since the 4s debuted.

Anyhow, just thinking out loud. I know that when I did this before with my 4 on other iphones, I was able to troubleshoot a sim card tray issue.

Actually, we tested that already. It's not the SIMs. It's the line itself/account itself. I have had 7 SIM cards, it makes no difference which phone it's in, the same issues replicate regardless.

AppleSmart

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I honest to goodness believe there's a major flaw in the 4s in regards to reception. While ATT coverage on the West Coast really does suck, the 4s had the worst reception I'd ever experienced AND ATT just put up new towers according to the Apple store in my city. I had my dd Samsung Flight II and my phone in the car together traveling the freeway and her phone consistently had more bars. My call was dropped just calling Apple Care.

Thankfully, I hadn't sold my iPhone 4 and therefore returned the 4s. I can happily turn 3G off and use EDGE flawlessly.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I had just switched from my bb 9900 to an I4s last week within a day mine was having the same issue every 1 outta 4 call would looked connected the timer would be showing like its connected but i cant hear anything. The person on the other end could hear me so I took it to my local apple store the next day they ran a test on it and the test showed a 50/50 call problem They gave me a new i4s and never had a issue again.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Actually, we tested that already. It's not the SIMs. It's the line itself/account itself. I have had 7 SIM cards, it makes no difference which phone it's in, the same issues replicate regardless.

Wow, so you just proved there that its an ATT issue. Getting a new number from ATT should fix it. Reprovisioning your number didnt fix it though right?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I had just switched from my bb 9900 to an I4s last week within a day mine was having the same issue every 1 outta 4 call would looked connected the timer would be showing like its connected but i cant hear anything. The person on the other end could hear me so I took it to my local apple store the next day they ran a test on it and the test showed a 50/50 call problem They gave me a new i4s and never had a issue again.
I wish that worked. Im on my 5th phone, and 7th SIM.

Wow, so you just proved there that its an ATT issue. Getting a new number from ATT should fix it. Reprovisioning your number didnt fix it though right?

Nope. Didn't impact it at all. I cannot lose this number unless they can figure out how to forward all incoming messages from it to a new one. Its my business number, all my stuffis printed with this number. But they won't DO this yet bec the engineers at ATT want to ignore it fix it.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Well if you have a right to get out of your contact return the phone for a full refund port your number to another carrier maybe apple will trade your 4s for a other carriers and make AT&T wave all there fees.

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'd just like them to try the SIMPLEST SOLUTION that Apple proposed months ago. They won't just try it. It has to go up the escalation to nowhere ladder. But there WILL be compensation. Extreme. Compensation.

krs7272#AC

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
I honest to goodness believe there's a major flaw in the 4s in regards to reception. While ATT coverage on the West Coast really does suck, the 4s had the worst reception I'd ever experienced AND ATT just put up new towers according to the Apple store in my city. I had my dd Samsung Flight II and my phone in the car together traveling the freeway and her phone consistently had more bars. My call was dropped just calling Apple Care.

Thankfully, I hadn't sold my iPhone 4 and therefore returned the 4s. I can happily turn 3G off and use EDGE flawlessly.

I agree totally. This 4S blows in low signal areas. Except I sold my 4. I am thinking I'm gonna have to sell my 4S and buy a 4 again. I just can't take anymore of this searching and no service BS in places my 4 worked fine.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I agree totally. This 4S blows in low signal areas. Except I sold my 4. I am thinking I'm gonna have to sell my 4S and buy a 4 again. I just can't take anymore of this searching and no service BS in places my 4 worked fine.

That's not my experience. On my old iphone 4, I was in my kids' school where I couldn't get a signal in a certain part of the building. Now, with my iphone 4S in the exact same place, I have a signal. For me, the 4S has better reception.

krs7272#AC

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
That's not my experience. On my old iphone 4, I was in my kids' school where I couldn't get a signal in a certain part of the building. Now, with my iphone 4S in the exact same place, I have a signal. For me, the 4S has better reception.

That's the frustrating part. People saying they're having better results. But bottom line it ain't worth anything if it doesn't work for you. So unless this new 5.1 fixes anything I'm out

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
That's the frustrating part. People saying they're having better results. But bottom line it ain't worth anything if it doesn't work for you. So unless this new 5.1 fixes anything I'm out

I forgot to clarify that I am on ATT with the 4S. My buddy lives 5 miles from me and he had a 3GS and could barely get a signal in his house. He's now using a 4S with Verizon with great signal in his house He's loving it. In his house, my ATT iphone 4S can sporadically get a signal.

Go figure.

krs7272#AC

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm also in AT&T. Two places I frequent one I get no service now. Other it's sporadic searching, no service or one bar. Where as with the 4 I would always have low signal there but it still worked. Now i'm missing calls. This is just unacceptable. So now my options are sell my 64gb 4S and dump AT&T and try Sprint as I have an account there also. I just don't know if this is a software issue as my 4 was still on 4.3.3 and it's the battery hog 5.0. Or if it's the redesigned antenna which I'm wondering since resembles the CDMA version of the iPhone 4 antenna design that maybe the GSM side isn't as effective as the GSM 4 version was.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73