I had just switched from my bb 9900 to an I4s last week within a day mine was having the same issue every 1 outta 4 call would looked connected the timer would be showing like its connected but i cant hear anything. The person on the other end could hear me so I took it to my local apple store the next day they ran a test on it and the test showed a 50/50 call problem They gave me a new i4s and never had a issue again.
    12-12-2011 01:04 PM
    Actually, we tested that already. It's not the SIMs. It's the line itself/account itself. I have had 7 SIM cards, it makes no difference which phone it's in, the same issues replicate regardless.
    Wow, so you just proved there that its an ATT issue. Getting a new number from ATT should fix it. Reprovisioning your number didnt fix it though right?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    12-12-2011 01:35 PM
    I had just switched from my bb 9900 to an I4s last week within a day mine was having the same issue every 1 outta 4 call would looked connected the timer would be showing like its connected but i cant hear anything. The person on the other end could hear me so I took it to my local apple store the next day they ran a test on it and the test showed a 50/50 call problem They gave me a new i4s and never had a issue again.
    I wish that worked. Im on my 5th phone, and 7th SIM.

Wow, so you just proved there that its an ATT issue. Getting a new number from ATT should fix it. Reprovisioning your number didnt fix it though right?

Nope. Didn't impact it at all. I cannot lose this number unless they can figure out how to forward all incoming messages from it to a new one. Its my business number, all my stuffis printed with this number. But they won't DO this yet bec the engineers at ATT want to ignore it fix it.
    12-12-2011 02:06 PM
    Well if you have a right to get out of your contact return the phone for a full refund port your number to another carrier maybe apple will trade your 4s for a other carriers and make AT&T wave all there fees.

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    12-12-2011 04:01 PM
    I'd just like them to try the SIMPLEST SOLUTION that Apple proposed months ago. They won't just try it. It has to go up the escalation to nowhere ladder. But there WILL be compensation. Extreme. Compensation.
    12-12-2011 04:19 PM
    I honest to goodness believe there's a major flaw in the 4s in regards to reception. While ATT coverage on the West Coast really does suck, the 4s had the worst reception I'd ever experienced AND ATT just put up new towers according to the Apple store in my city. I had my dd Samsung Flight II and my phone in the car together traveling the freeway and her phone consistently had more bars. My call was dropped just calling Apple Care.

Thankfully, I hadn't sold my iPhone 4 and therefore returned the 4s. I can happily turn 3G off and use EDGE flawlessly.
    I agree totally. This 4S blows in low signal areas. Except I sold my 4. I am thinking I'm gonna have to sell my 4S and buy a 4 again. I just can't take anymore of this searching and no service BS in places my 4 worked fine.
    12-12-2011 09:55 PM
    I agree totally. This 4S blows in low signal areas. Except I sold my 4. I am thinking I'm gonna have to sell my 4S and buy a 4 again. I just can't take anymore of this searching and no service BS in places my 4 worked fine.
    That's not my experience. On my old iphone 4, I was in my kids' school where I couldn't get a signal in a certain part of the building. Now, with my iphone 4S in the exact same place, I have a signal. For me, the 4S has better reception.

12-12-2011 10:07 PM
    That's not my experience. On my old iphone 4, I was in my kids' school where I couldn't get a signal in a certain part of the building. Now, with my iphone 4S in the exact same place, I have a signal. For me, the 4S has better reception.

That's the frustrating part. People saying they're having better results. But bottom line it ain't worth anything if it doesn't work for you. So unless this new 5.1 fixes anything I'm out
    12-12-2011 11:10 PM
    That's the frustrating part. People saying they're having better results. But bottom line it ain't worth anything if it doesn't work for you. So unless this new 5.1 fixes anything I'm out
    I forgot to clarify that I am on ATT with the 4S. My buddy lives 5 miles from me and he had a 3GS and could barely get a signal in his house. He's now using a 4S with Verizon with great signal in his house He's loving it. In his house, my ATT iphone 4S can sporadically get a signal.

Go figure.

12-12-2011 11:30 PM
    I'm also in AT&T. Two places I frequent one I get no service now. Other it's sporadic searching, no service or one bar. Where as with the 4 I would always have low signal there but it still worked. Now i'm missing calls. This is just unacceptable. So now my options are sell my 64gb 4S and dump AT&T and try Sprint as I have an account there also. I just don't know if this is a software issue as my 4 was still on 4.3.3 and it's the battery hog 5.0. Or if it's the redesigned antenna which I'm wondering since resembles the CDMA version of the iPhone 4 antenna design that maybe the GSM side isn't as effective as the GSM 4 version was.
    12-13-2011 12:13 AM
    I'm also in AT&T. Two places I frequent one I get no service now. Other it's sporadic searching, no service or one bar. Where as with the 4 I would always have low signal there but it still worked. Now i'm missing calls. This is just unacceptable. So now my options are sell my 64gb 4S and dump AT&T and try Sprint as I have an account there also. I just don't know if this is a software issue as my 4 was still on 4.3.3 and it's the battery hog 5.0. Or if it's the redesigned antenna which I'm wondering since resembles the CDMA version of the iPhone 4 antenna design that maybe the GSM side isn't as effective as the GSM 4 version was.
    Do you know anyone in your area with an iphone 4/4S? It would be interesting to see their experiences with their iphones in your area. If someone has an iphone 4 and doesnt get a signal in your same area, then perhaps its a specific tower issue.
    The only reason why I knew the antenna "seemed" better in the 4S than 4/3GS was that I was in a parent teacher meeting with my wife (she has a 3GS). I was getting texts from work and she wasn't. I was used to not having a signal the school building with my iphone 4 that I don't bother putting my phone in airplane mode or silence mode in a meeting.

12-13-2011 07:51 AM
    So I spent about two hours last night running tests with two trace engineers and will probably work with another today who works with the switch. My husband had had enough of my frustration with this and got involved. He gave me all the contact information for every person he thought I should be involved with and called them to have them call me. lol So I might get about 100 calls today.

Half of my calls never hit the switch at all. We then did number-specific testing. Where I picked a number and they watched me call it specifically. 50-50. One of last night's engineers reset a TON of stuff, and then we ran more testing. All the sudden every call would connect.

I mentioned to apple that it seems like I have better luck using the phone on Speaker than regularly but it doesn't seem to have a discernable pattern. I am hoping that it really is still just on the ATT end, and is not starting to throw hardware in there too. I had pretty much a 99% guarantee it was ATT, so I put a new Zagg on it last week lol. So I probably just jinxed myself and will end up with another new phone anyway just as a precautionary measure.
    12-13-2011 08:42 AM
    Do you know anyone in your area with an iphone 4/4S? It would be interesting to see their experiences with their iphones in your area. If someone has an iphone 4 and doesnt get a signal in your same area, then perhaps its a specific tower issue.
    The only reason why I knew the antenna "seemed" better in the 4S than 4/3GS was that I was in a parent teacher meeting with my wife (she has a 3GS). I was getting texts from work and she wasn't. I was used to not having a signal the school building with my iphone 4 that I don't bother putting my phone in airplane mode or silence mode in a meeting.

I know it's the 4S and or OS 5. I have gone out with my sister and my brother both have 4 and same results 4 has low signal 4S has none or much higher -db reading where the 4S signal fluctuates much more than the 4 does. But like I mentioned before they both are running 4.3.3 for the jailbreak so I still can't say based on these experiences wether its an OS version causing this. But since I only see people complaint of bad battery after upgrading to 5.0 on 4 not worse signal I still feel the 4S on AT&T is just worse at holding low signals then the 4 is.
    12-13-2011 08:53 AM
    Half of my calls never hit the switch at all. We then did number-specific testing. Where I picked a number and they watched me call it specifically. 50-50. One of last night's engineers reset a TON of stuff, and then we ran more testing. All the sudden every call would connect.
    How was your iphone 4S originally activated? Was it at the Apple store/ATT store/home/another retail store?

I wonder if there is a software activation bug in ATT's system based on where the 4S is activated. Mine was activated at the Apple store and it was with a new microsim card (that came with 4S) not the old microsim that was active in the iphone 4 that I sold.
    12-13-2011 09:02 AM
    I know it's the 4S and or OS 5. I have gone out with my sister and my brother both have 4 and same results 4 has low signal 4S has none or much higher -db reading where the 4S signal fluctuates much more than the 4 does. But like I mentioned before they both are running 4.3.3 for the jailbreak so I still can't say based on these experiences wether its an OS version causing this. But since I only see people complaint of bad battery after upgrading to 5.0 on 4 not worse signal I still feel the 4S on AT&T is just worse at holding low signals then the 4 is.
    I am in the Cleveland area (east side) and I know that HSPA+ hasn't hit my area. I still get 3G speeds.
    I do know HSPA+ is in another part of Cleveland area (west side) if I just drive 20-30 miles west bound, I would be getting HSPA+.

Is your area HSPA+ already?
    12-13-2011 09:08 AM
    How was your iphone 4S originally activated? Was it at the Apple store/ATT store/home/another retail store?

I wonder if there is a software activation bug in ATT's system based on where the 4S is activated. Mine was activated at the Apple store and it was with a new microsim card (that came with 4S) not the old microsim that was active in the iphone 4 that I sold.
    The 4S got activated at the ATT store AFTER me trying for 10 hours myself at work. I spent an hour there with several others in the same situation. But that was replaced several times now.
    12-13-2011 12:19 PM
    I got excited that it might be solved. It is back to not connecting again. *head desk*
    12-13-2011 01:03 PM
    I am in the Cleveland area (east side) and I know that HSPA+ hasn't hit my area. I still get 3G speeds.
    I do know HSPA+ is in another part of Cleveland area (west side) if I just drive 20-30 miles west bound, I would be getting HSPA+.

Is your area HSPA+ already?
    According to the ATT site no HSPA+ in Detroit but off the antenna by my work I consistently get 8-10mb down everyday!?
    12-13-2011 05:34 PM
    According to the ATT site no HSPA+ in Detroit but off the antenna by my work I consistently get 8-10mb down everyday!?
    It was just a hunch I was curious if your 4S was in a low signal HSPA+ area. So basically while you are with your siblings who have an iphone 4 and they are in 3G and connection while you are on your 4S trying to connect at HSPA+.

12-13-2011 06:20 PM
    I got excited that it might be solved. It is back to not connecting again. *head desk*
    That's just crazy they can't solve it. ATT should totally compensate you heavily for your trouble. Something like 6 months free service or something or free tethering for a year.

12-13-2011 06:31 PM
    It was just a hunch I was curious if your 4S was in a low signal HSPA+ area. So basically while you are with your siblings who have an iphone 4 and they are in 3G and connection while you are on your 4S trying to connect at HSPA+.

That could be a possibility. But not having HSPA+ doubt it. Though aren't the 8-10mb downloads I'm seeing at work more HSPA+ speeds? Though I only see those off of one tower i'm aware of.

Either way my real world exepiance is that the 4 antenna is better in low signal areas than the 4S. I'd like to think maybe HSPA+ will fix that for the 4S but by the time HSPA+ is implemented a new iphone will be out anyway.
    12-13-2011 07:12 PM
    Oh they better be. I don't tether so that does nothing for me. But reimbursement for me paying my bill this whole time and not being able to fully use my phone.

The engineer can see the failures on her end though so she brought it to the switch engineer. I don't know what else it can be. So...I told her I really expect this done within a week. Im not waiting on them beyond that.
    12-13-2011 07:12 PM
    Oh they better be. I don't tether so that does nothing for me. But reimbursement for me paying my bill this whole time and not being able to fully use my phone.

The engineer can see the failures on her end though so she brought it to the switch engineer. I don't know what else it can be. So...I told her I really expect this done within a week. Im not waiting on them beyond that.
    Is this all still happening with the newly set up number? And is it under the same account or a brand new for testing one?
    12-13-2011 07:49 PM
    They haven't set up a new number or account yet. Despite repeated requests, they want to explore other options first. Apple and I both are at the same spot with this. We're at their mercy. They'd rather waste time going up the rung.
    12-13-2011 07:52 PM
    They haven't set up a new number or account yet. Despite repeated requests, they want to explore other options first. Apple and I both are at the same spot with this. We're at their mercy. They'd rather waste time going up the rung.
    I know the feeling. When Verizon came out with PTT years ago I had the same engineer BS games with them finally I just told them where to put it and went to Nextel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12-13-2011 08:14 PM
108 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD