Siri - phone dialing question

gc916

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I didn't see this question anywhere on the forum.

I have an iphone 4s, 32GB on AT&T. I can use Siri for all enabled functions except one. I use Gmail for contacts, and they sync fine to the iPhone. I can ask Siri to call any of them, and that works, too.

If I ask Siri to call a contact that is a company, with the name in the "Company" field only and the fields for first and last name left blank in my contacts, Siri cannot find it in my contacts list. If I remove the info from the "company" field, and enter the info in the first and last name fields, it works fine.

One other thing...if the phone number is designated as "Company Name," Siri won't dial it. If I change it to "Work" Siri functions as it should.

Is this common among iPhone / Gmail users, or does my iPhone have a problem?

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
If I had to guess, the company field is for a contact. You have a contact named Patrick Marleau and he works for the San Jose Sharks for instance. Siri wouldn't know to look for the San Jose Sharks, but she would know to look for Patrick Marleau. Company is supposed to be an additional field so if you have two Patrick Marleaus, you'll know which one is which.

I don't think the company name is meant to be a stand alone contact with Siri. It doesn't work for me on my end either. When I swapped my contacts from my BB to my iPhone4s, all of my BB contacts that are businesses were listed in the first name section. Siri pulls them up every time.

ruskin219

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I have a slightly different problem with our new 4s phones. Using voice command (SRI) to make a call, SRI recognizes the name given, asks which phone number (home, work, mobile), confirms the choice and says it will dial, then says it can't dial the number. When you simply give it the number to dial (no name), it works fine. Any suggestions?

kmichalec

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Did you try also putting the company name in the Nickname field? This is the field that SIRI checks first when looking for a name. For example, if you have 3 people names John in your phone book (John Smith, John Jones & John Doe), and put the name John in the nickname field for John Smith, and then say "call John", it will automatically assume you mean John Smith, and not John Jones or John Doe. I'm purely speculating here, but I would think you could put the company name in the nickname field for the contact you are referring to (so it's in the Company field and the Nickname field for the contact), and it should work. Give it a try, let me know if my assumption is right.

I didn't see this question anywhere on the forum.

I have an iphone 4s, 32GB on AT&T. I can use Siri for all enabled functions except one. I use Gmail for contacts, and they sync fine to the iPhone. I can ask Siri to call any of them, and that works, too.

If I ask Siri to call a contact that is a company, with the name in the "Company" field only and the fields for first and last name left blank in my contacts, Siri cannot find it in my contacts list. If I remove the info from the "company" field, and enter the info in the first and last name fields, it works fine.

One other thing...if the phone number is designated as "Company Name," Siri won't dial it. If I change it to "Work" Siri functions as it should.

Is this common among iPhone / Gmail users, or does my iPhone have a problem?

kmichalec

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Do you happen to have multiple HOME (/WORK/MOBILE) fields filled in for those contacts (ie - 2 mobile numbers, so it doesn't know which to pick)? What happens if you say "call ABC on mobile" all at one time? Does it work then?

My wife and I have a slightly different problem with our new 4s phones. Using voice command (SRI) to make a call, SRI recognizes the name given, asks which phone number (home, work, mobile), confirms the choice and says it will dial, then says it can't dial the number. When you simply give it the number to dial (no name), it works fine. Any suggestions?

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
For example, if you have 3 people names John in your phone book (John Smith, John Jones & John Doe), and put the name John in the nickname field for John Smith, and then say "call John", it will automatically assume you mean John Smith, and not John Jones or John Doe.

I have 3 Jennifers listed in my contact list. When I ask Siri to call Jennifer, she asks me which Jennifer and tells me to tap the Jennifer I want to call.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods