So I got a new 4S in the mail around 10am. Heard about the battery life and the notion that if you let the phone die then charge it to full, you're training your battery somehow. Well I wanted to do just that. Problem was the thing just wouldn't die! i played with Siri all day; recorded video; called everyone that wouldn't mind talking to me for like 30 minutes at a time. Thing was still kicking. Finally I decided to just go to sleep while the phone was at like 10% in hopes that it'd be dead by the morning. Woke up this morning and the thing was still kicking! Finally died around 8something AM
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    11-10-2011 08:43 AM
    When you let your phone die all you do is reset the meter to read correctly again. It does nothing for the actual battery. Lithium batteries do not have memory like other batteries do.
    leharris22 likes this.
    11-10-2011 08:51 AM
    When you let your phone die all you do is reset the meter to read correctly again. It does nothing for the actual battery. Lithium batteries do not have memory like other batteries do.
    Right, yup. I should have known that. I did sell phones for a number of years
    11-10-2011 08:53 AM
    Exactly. Lithium batteries do not hold the memory so a complete charge/recharge every time is not necessary or even recommended. Apple recommends a complete charge/recharge approx every month (and this is usually to keep the meter reading properly).
    11-10-2011 09:29 AM
    I dunno, I kill mine dead every time or get it to 2% then charge it back up. If I charge it daily I go through more battery in a day than I do if I "train it".
    11-10-2011 09:38 AM
    Actually fully charging and discharging lithium batteries puts more stress on them then keeping them charged. It actually shortens their lives somewhat...
    11-10-2011 09:44 AM
    I'm jealous. I took my phone off the charger around 5-5:30 am this morning. I have 2 hours 46 min of usage and the battery is at 54%. The battery life with the 4 was better...
    11-10-2011 09:57 AM
    I'm jealous. I took my phone off the charger around 5-5:30 am this morning. I have 2 hours 46 min of usage and the battery is at 54%. The battery life with the 4 was better...
    Have you shut off the auto time zone yet ? I've seen my battery get better and better but it's still not quite up to par with the 4, I feel there's an upstate very near
    11-10-2011 10:01 AM
    Yup. Shut off time zone, apple store, Facebook, camera, twitter, and weather location services. My screen is dimmed and my email is set to push BUT stinks at pushing so it might as well be manual.
    11-10-2011 10:19 AM
    So I got a new 4S in the mail around 10am. Heard about the battery life and the notion that if you let the phone die then charge it to full, you're training your battery somehow. Well I wanted to do just that. Problem was the thing just wouldn't die! i played with Siri all day; recorded video; called everyone that wouldn't mind talking to me for like 30 minutes at a time. Thing was still kicking. Finally I decided to just go to sleep while the phone was at like 10% in hopes that it'd be dead by the morning. Woke up this morning and the thing was still kicking! Finally died around 8something AM
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    It really must depend on the phone, I've had mine off the charger for almost 19 hours with 3 hours of usage and i still have 55% battery left. But you're right, it seems like the last 5% takes FOREVER to drain. What I do when I really want my phone to die is, put on a movie, and just set my phone down.
    11-10-2011 10:59 AM
    Mine was hard as well to completely die. I kept messing with stuff and it sat on 1% for so long.
    11-10-2011 12:34 PM
    Battery life really will depend on use and individual device. Turning the time zone location-based search helped for me. The way I see it, use the features, apps and settings that you want, and if you need to charge, charge it. What's the point in having this awesome phone if you turn off all the cool features? Just use what you want.
    11-10-2011 12:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD