Email won't send on 3G

tracyann91

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this post has been answered - I tried to search, but I couldn't find anything.
I set up my email (local provider - pop3) - and when I'm at home using my wi-fi, I can send and receive my email just fine. But when I'm not in a wi-fi zone, I cannot send email. I can only receive. I tried googling, and I read some really old posts (2002) that it has something to do with the type of provider, but I think there MUST be a way around this.

I've seen stuff about using a different account to send from, but (IF THIS IS THE ONLY WORK-AROUND) how do I set it so that they don't reply to the gmail acct, so that emails still only go through my pop3 account???

Thanks for any help!!!

Tracy

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this post has been answered - I tried to search, but I couldn't find anything.
I set up my email (local provider - pop3) - and when I'm at home using my wi-fi, I can send and receive my email just fine. But when I'm not in a wi-fi zone, I cannot send email. I can only receive. I tried googling, and I read some really old posts (2002) that it has something to do with the type of provider, but I think there MUST be a way around this.

I've seen stuff about using a different account to send from, but (IF THIS IS THE ONLY WORK-AROUND) how do I set it so that they don't reply to the gmail acct, so that emails still only go through my pop3 account???

Thanks for any help!!!

Tracy

my guess is the pop3 account has security on it that only allows you to send from that service provider.. let me guess its email through your service provider? if thats the case I highly recommend you switch to something like gmail permanently its a better service for someone on the go. Sometimes there is settings through your provider that you can set in smtp settings for securely sending emails. by inputting your user name and password in the smtp settings.

Last edited:

tracyann91

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Can I just use the gmail as the (outgoing) email? And can I set it so that if the person email replies to my email - they still automatically get my original email address (from my service provider)?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Check the ISP's web site or call their support people for how to correctly set-up an iPhone with their service. Chances are, they're using some non-standard ports or something as a security measure, or need some sort of authentication to send mail - they should be able to help you set it up and get it working the way it should.

Edit to add... One could also look into the settings on their computer's email client's settings for server names, ports, and authentication and duplicate those to their phone's sett-up...

Last edited:

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Call your ISP's support and ask. My ISP used to lock down the SMTP (outgoing) server too, but now has an additional server that works with mobile devices and SSL authentication.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I set up my email (local provider - pop3) - and when I'm at home using my wi-fi, I can send and receive my email just fine. But when I'm not in a wi-fi zone, I cannot send email. I can only receive.
These are symptoms of needing to authenticate to the SMTP server. It's an antispam measure to prevent spammers from using your email provider's SMTP server. Check with your email provider for proper settings as indicated by the posts above.

Edit to add... One could also look into the settings on their computer's email client's settings for server names, ports, and authentication and duplicate those to their phone's sett-up...
If it's a machine that sits at home it may not be configured to authenticate to the SMTP server.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73