I'm a very new Apple user and I haven't signed up for iTunes yet. One reason is I'm a diehard Rhapsody user so, musicwise, I assume iTunes to be useless to me. Am I wrong?

I'm not too interested in video content either. So, if you remove music and video from the equation, what does iTunes have that you guys can't live without? I honestly would like to know in case I'm missing something.

The reason why I don't just go ahead and sign up to find out is people have told me that iTunes software has given them computer headaches in the past and I'd rather skip it if iTunes has nothing I need.
    11-07-2011 01:46 PM
    I have iTunes and haven't had any issues with it. Would you be running it on Windows or Mac? I use it because it stores all my music and syncs easily with most MP3 players and all iPods, even smartphones that aren't iPhone.
    11-07-2011 01:49 PM
    I've been using iTunes for around 8 years now on PC and I've never really had any issues with it. I use it mostly for music. The syncing is great for my iPod and iPhone. You can manually select everything you would want to sync. I also like the way it stores all of my music on my computer. It's also nice to download apps to iTunes on your computer and then sync them to your iPhone (especially bigger file sizes). If you have an iPhone, you should at least give it a try and see how you like it
    11-07-2011 01:58 PM
    I use iTunes to store all music and applications and movies. I also use it to sync my iPhone to my computer.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    11-07-2011 02:27 PM
    You can use Rhapsody and iTunes. I use iTunes on my computer to listen to the music I already own, and to sync my phone to get stuff on and off of my phone.
    11-07-2011 03:23 PM
    I'm a very new Apple user and I haven't signed up for iTunes yet. One reason is I'm a diehard Rhapsody user so, musicwise, I assume iTunes to be useless to me. Am I wrong?

I'm not too interested in video content either. So, if you remove music and video from the equation, what does iTunes have that you guys can't live without? I honestly would like to know in case I'm missing something.

The reason why I don't just go ahead and sign up to find out is people have told me that iTunes software has given them computer headaches in the past and I'd rather skip it if iTunes has nothing I need.
    If you want apps you need an iTunes account.

Otherwise you probably don't need it if you stream your content and don't own it. Otherwise iTunes is digital media hub to manage your media and get that media onto iDevices. The iTunes Store is where you can buy more content and apps.

On Windows iTunes can be a pain to use from time to time. I don't use it anymore other than to sync my iPhone.
    Last edited by sting7k; 11-07-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    11-07-2011 03:31 PM
    If you want apps you need an iTunes account.
    Doh! I've downloaded several apps. Does that mean I have an iTunes account without realizing it?
    11-08-2011 08:59 AM
    Doh! I've downloaded several apps. Does that mean I have an iTunes account without realizing it?
    You have an Apple ID.
    11-08-2011 09:56 AM
    I use iTunes simply for syncing and the occasional charging. I've listened to a less than 10 podcasts with iTunes in the 2 years I've had my iPhone. I don't buy albums or shows, and I have 9 non stock apps on my phone. So yea, I don't really use it.
    11-08-2011 10:05 AM
    you will need iTunes.

to make backups
    restore the device
    to update the device
    load music,videos,podcasts,etc

since you already have an appleID, you are not signing up for another account.
    Simply install iTunes and sign in with your appleID. its a good idea JUST for the fact that you should make backups in case you ever have an issue.

i am NOT a big fan of itunes because i find some of it not the most intuitive design... but it is necessary and i have had no issues on my PC (XP, Vista, and Win7)
    11-08-2011 10:16 AM
    Hard to imagine having iOS devices and not using itunes. Silly thread.
    11-08-2011 10:24 AM
    Hard to imagine having iOS devices and not using itunes. Silly thread.
    Not to an Apple newbie like me. I don't know iTunes from a hole in the ground. I'll give it a try though and maybe I'll agree with you pretty quick. Regarding music, Rhapsody = awesome. The app for iOS is pretty good too.

About the iTunes backup mentioned earlier, doesn't the iCloud basically perform that function?
    11-08-2011 01:15 PM
    you will need iTunes.

to make backups
    restore the device
    to update the device
    load music,videos,podcasts,etc
    Nope, you can use an iCloud account to do all of this now -- no iTunes needed. Was one of the big changes with iOS5.

since you already have an appleID, you are not signing up for another account. Simply install iTunes and sign in with your appleID. its a good idea JUST for the fact that you should make backups in case you ever have an issue.
    With that being said, I agree that the OP should go ahead and fire up iTunes and enter his/her Apple ID and plug in the iPhone. Also create and free @me.com address for iCloud purposes.
    11-08-2011 01:22 PM
    I only installed and use iTunes for iPhone/iPod/iPad related syncing. I have never and will never use it for anything else. It completely bogs down my relatively fast computer and it's a nightmare to use.
    11-08-2011 02:20 PM
    Nope, you can use an iCloud account to do all of this now -- no iTunes needed. Was one of the big changes with iOS5.

With that being said, I agree that the OP should go ahead and fire up iTunes and enter his/her Apple ID and plug in the iPhone. Also create and free @me.com address for iCloud purposes.
    You cannot restore from iCloud. You can do delta updates over the air, but a complete restore can only be done from iTunes.

iCloud cannot sync your previously owned music library either, or videos taken.
    11-08-2011 02:48 PM
    You cannot restore from iCloud. You can do delta updates over the air, but a complete restore can only be done from iTunes.
    Yeah... I was thinking more of restoring a backup and where that comes from which does not have to be an iTunes backup... just enter your iCloud credentials on the iPhone, but you're right that iTunes is still certainly required for restoring a fresh iOS.

iCloud cannot sync your previously owned music library either, or videos taken.
    Sync and restore are two different things, and anything in your camera roll is part of the iCloud backup... including videos.
    11-08-2011 03:42 PM

Sync and restore are two different things, and anything in your camera roll is part of the iCloud backup... including videos.
    I have taken videos, and they do not sync via Photostream. You have to do those via iTunes. Podcasts don't sync either, or TV shows. They're too big. (Sources: MacWorld and ApertureExpert.com) I was disappointed too, as I took some videos out of state, and they didn't show in iPhoto.
    11-08-2011 04:03 PM
    I have taken videos, and they do not sync via Photostream. You have to do those via iTunes. Podcasts don't sync either, or TV shows. They're too big. (Sources: MacWorld and ApertureExpert.com) I was disappointed too, as I took some videos out of state, and they didn't show in iPhoto.
    Again... sync and backup are two different things. And Photostream is not really sync or backup (it's just a service that is part of iCloud functionality), so now you are talking about three different things. I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily, but I assure you that anything in your camera roll is in fact part of your backup... whether it is iCloud or and iTunes file... and would be restored from said file.

As far as sources, why not go to Apple. Scroll to the bottom...
    11-08-2011 04:14 PM
    Hmm. Not using iTunes with your iPhone is probably possible. But I think it would be a lot more complicated and take more time. I'd suggest still using and learning how to use iTunes. It will make everything easier and once you jump in, you'll probably never look back.
    11-08-2011 04:21 PM
    Hmm. Not using iTunes with your iPhone is probably possible. But I think it would be a lot more complicated and take more time. I'd suggest still using and learning how to use iTunes. It will make everything easier and once you jump in, you'll probably never look back.
    Downloading now. Into the rabbit hole....
    11-08-2011 05:21 PM
    Good god...huge download. Then it incorporated my songs and it only got about 30% of them. And the organizing is horrible. Wow, as far as music goes my first impression is very bad.
    11-08-2011 06:10 PM
    I USE AMAZON MP3 and AMAZON VIDEO.

the sales they have are frequent, and amazing....especially with the holidays coming up....expect $3-5 new music albums, and $1 rentals of current movies. [movies don't work on iOS devices though...they're streamed]
    11-08-2011 06:16 PM
    Good god...huge download. Then it incorporated my songs and it only got about 30% of them. And the organizing is horrible. Wow, as far as music goes my first impression is very bad.
    It doesn't do great with songs not purchased or ripped through iTunes so you will have to clean up those tags. You can "add to library" and point it to where you music is stored and everything will be imported -- and it will convert non-protected Windows files as well. The organization is actually quite good and powerful once you have proper tags, but you have some work ahead of you. As a tip I wouldn't come back here ragging on iTunes -- you may or may not like it and that is fine, but it is up to you if you want to ask for help which you will get a lot of around here. Once you get it organized you might find it works well for you, and it is an important piece of the puzzle as an iPhone user. Good luck.
    11-08-2011 07:45 PM
    I've only had an iTunes account since I got my iPhone, so I'm not much help.
    11-09-2011 03:10 PM
    Ok, I could use some help here I guess. itunes is very difficult when it comes to organizing my music. When I joined Rhapsody, it just made a copy of my library from my computer. No duplicates at all.

It's sort of like the software is dyslexic. I've been deleting duplicates of songs for hours and I've got way too far to go. Is there an easy way to organize music in iTunes? I've got to be missing something here.
    11-11-2011 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD