why are prices so high?

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Well if a new line is $10, then adding a line is the cheapest option. $10 a month over 2 years is $240. IMO I think you should do that, another benifit is it is not a whole chunk of money you have to come up with. Buying a unlocked/retail price phone does not benifit you at all in the US unless you traveling oversees.

And the unlocked iPhone is GSM only not CDMA so it's only unlocked for AT&T t mo and carriers in other countries

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Well if a new line is $10, then adding a line is the cheapest option. $10 a month over 2 years is $240. IMO I think you should do that, another benifit is it is not a whole chunk of money you have to come up with. Buying a unlocked/retail price phone does not benifit you at all in the US unless you traveling oversees.
it is only $10/line if you have 2 more on top of your regular line I tried online

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
That's probably the way to go... To add a line ... But I would check and see how sprints 3G is holding up in the area you live, haven't heard good things about their 3G data speeds on the iPhone

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
well people are complaining because they are in a bad area or they can't roam on Verizon...and I love the 3G speeds I get on my EVO all thru-out my county are flawless @ 5mbps on Sprint....I could only expect that on my iPhone 4S they will be the same :)....but I can't pay 2 bills I can only afford 1.....I don't know what to do:(

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
My husband did this on AT&T when the iPhone first came out.

He opened up a second line, then transferred his iPhone to his original phone #, but had to keep the line open or else he'd pay a cancellation fee. We actually still have the line open because I've used the upgrade on it. Next year when it's contract is up, we are going to cancel it because it's $10 a month.

Reactions: ariellemerperle

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
This thread seems mixed up.

For a Sprint family Everything Data plan, it's 19.99 an additional line + the 10 dollar smartphone fee. I'm assuming the OP has a family plan because otherwise he wouldn't mention anything about adding a line. If he's got a single plan, then he needs help for even mentioning another line.

His Evo 3G speeds aren't 5mp. That's wimax or sprint's 4G (because his Evo is a wimax phone). You'll never see Sprint 3G at those speeds. You'll never see the iphone 4S on sprint at those speeds.

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This thread seems mixed up.

For a Sprint family Everything Data plan, it's 19.99 an additional line + the 10 dollar smartphone fee. I'm assuming the OP has a family plan because otherwise he wouldn't mention anything about adding a line. If he's got a single plan, then he needs help for even mentioning another line.

His Evo 3G speeds aren't 5mp. That's wimax or sprint's 4G (because his Evo is a wimax phone). You'll never see Sprint 3G at those speeds. You'll never see the iphone 4S on sprint at those speeds.
1st of all I am a woman not a man and 2nd I am talking about adding a family plan....3. I don't have 4G in my area and I don't care much for it cuz the Evo is a sh*tty phone it's slow as hell the OS sucks and it is making me hate android

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
1st of all I am a woman not a man and 2nd I am talking about adding a family plan....3. I don't have 4G in my area and I don't care much for it cuz the Evo is a sh*tty phone it's slow as hell the OS sucks and it is making me hate android

1. Sorry

2. You are aware that family plans are much higher..double the cheapest single plan. We're not talking 10 a month more or 30 a month more.

3. You bought it, not me. That's rather obvious the Evo is a crappy phone. But you're still not getting 5mp on sprint 3G with a 3G phone. Not even close to it. Sorry.

You started this thread complaining about iphones being so high and wanting a cheap way to purchase one. Adding a line wouldn't seem to be an option.

Perhaps you should consider porting over to AT&T, paying the ETF eventually and selling the Evo. You seem to be in an hspa+ area or what AT&T considers 4G. Any way you slice it, you'll either have to buy retail or pay an ETF.

Priyal27

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Switch to At&T lol. Talk to sprint and try to see if you can get around the retail price of the phone. If worst comes to worst just wait it out for when they get cheaper, or just wait for the iPhone 5.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
It's high because it's a brand new phone with limited supply right now. You're not going to get a deal unless you find one secondhand on Ebay that has a clean ESN and swap it with your current phone, and pay the activation Sprint will charge you to do that.

chris3896

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
They don't offer extensions on contracts anymore and just recently scrubbed their premier offers. Patience with your "****ty" Evo 4G. What's wrong with your Evo anyway that you can't wait a few months. Heard about the Internet speeds on sprint with the iPhone lately haha

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I also wonder if they will let me extend my contract and get it for $199.99?

No they won't allow you to do that. Sorry. The only way you can get a subsidized phone is to add a line. It may work out to port to another carrier, and buy the phone at new pricing and pay your etf with sprint. Would still be about $500 or so though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I say add the extra line for the cheapest price, and don?t use that line, just keep it open. This way you will have 2 lines and can just rotate upgrading on the 2 different lines every year when the new iPhone come out. This will give you the ability to eligible for an upgrade every year and never have to pay full price for the iPhone. It's my opinion and an option if you really want the 4S right now and don?t want to wait or pay full price.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I say add the extra line for the cheapest price, and don?t use that line, just keep it open. This way you will have 2 lines and can just rotate upgrading on the 2 different lines every year when the new iPhone come out. This will give you the ability to eligible for an upgrade every year and never have to pay full price for the iPhone. It's my opinion and an option if you really want the 4S right now and don?t want to wait or pay full price.

So go from paying a 79 dollar single plan (smartphone fee included) to a 149 a month family plan (with two smartphone fees)? That wouldn't seem like an option.

c0pE89

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I know with Verizon you can add a line get the phone then suspend the line and it only cost an extra 5 bucks a month till you cancel it that's what i do so i can get a upgrade every year i think its the same with
sprint

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I added the iPhone 4S on my Sprint account as a second line, then deactivated the EVO to have the iPhone as my only line. Had to pay a $135 early termination fee, but for me it was worth it.

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
well, I have a spending limit balance of $150 and Verizon and AT&T are not an option for me I owe them both money....it's $129.99/mo 1500 landline mins unlimited mobile mins unlimited data and messaging premium data included. anyone know how much it would cost a month if I suspended it? is it different on an extra single line than family line?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2