Sprint iPhone 4S model MD240LL??

johnny hotsauce

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up a NIB Sprint 16GB White iPhone 4S on Craigslist Friday night and the phone's software is showing the model number as MD240LL, does anyone know what the heck this is as this is not any of the Sprint iPhone model numbers let alone the model number of any iPhone that I'm aware of.

I did sucessfully activate the phone through Sprint on Friday night and all seems fine with the phone operationally but I'm just trying to figure out what exactly it is that I bought... I even checked with Apple and they were completely confused and said my model number is technically showing as a 13.3" MacBook in their system and not an iPhone however my serial number is showing legit as a Sprint iPhone but as a black 64GB one and not as a 16GB white which is what the phone really is...

I wonder if I got some cloned MEID phone or something, I don't know...

Odd... LOL

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
wifey and i have same phone from sprint..our model #MD378LL we bought from sprint.com. yours is different. but hey u got it activated and it works. so good and dont worry about it :)

Last edited:

Boobie12

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up a NIB Sprint 16GB White iPhone 4S on Craigslist Friday night and the phone's software is showing the model number as MD240LL, does anyone know what the heck this is as this is not any of the Sprint iPhone model numbers let alone the model number of any iPhone that I'm aware of.

I did sucessfully activate the phone through Sprint on Friday night and all seems fine with the phone operationally but I'm just trying to figure out what exactly it is that I bought... I even checked with Apple and they were completely confused and said my model number is technically showing as a 13.3" MacBook in their system and not an iPhone however my serial number is showing legit as a Sprint iPhone but as a black 64GB one and not as a 16GB white which is what the phone really is...

I wonder if I got some cloned MEID phone or something, I don't know...

Odd... LOL

I have the same iPhone Nd model number, and mines is one straight from apple store

johnny hotsauce

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I was thrilled it activated...lol! I just got worried after I was looking at the settings and saw a different model number than what it was supposed to be, I thought I had a cloned ESN or something...

The phone is great though, it's my first iPhone and I can definitely see why there is such a large fan base for these phones. I'm coming from years of Android and I can appreciate the pros and cons for each platform now that I'm familiar with both.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I was thrilled it activated...lol! I just got worried after I was looking at the settings and saw a different model number than what it was supposed to be, I thought I had a cloned ESN or something...

The phone is great though, it's my first iPhone and I can definitely see why there is such a large fan base for these phones. I'm coming from years of Android and I can appreciate the pros and cons for each platform now that I'm familiar with both.

most fake iPhones dont have the real IOS on it you would know pretty quickly that its a fake..

johnny hotsauce

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
most fake iPhones dont have the real IOS on it you would know pretty quickly that its a fake..

I wasn't worried about it being fake, I was worried it was stolen with a cloned MEID. I still am a bit worried because the phone is a white 16GB 4S and Sprint and Apple both show the MEID and serial number as a black 64GB 4S which I'm sure would raise questions with Apple if I had to bring it in for any issues.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I bought my iphone from craigslist and it wont even activate, so your in luck.

Sorry to hear that. When I buy off CL, I make the person meet me at the store, so I can activate it there and make sure it is okay. There can be some shady people on CL.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Oliverg109

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. When I buy off CL, I make the person meet me at the store, so I can activate it there and make sure it is okay. There can be some shady people on CL.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
never thought about that. thats a good one next time i will make sure that happens. i was thinking about using the COLD sim card trick but ive been so frustrated with the iphone i dont even feel like bothering anymore

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm md277LL ...I'm Verizon thou When u type the serial on apples site what does it show ? Also what does it show when plugged into iTunes ?

Maybe it was a original or something does anyone know how to tell the manufacture date from serial on a 4s ?

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Oliverg109

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
exactly no answer anymore, but im wondering if buying it from ebay would have the same problem as if i bought it from CL because that iphone is spanking new (the one i bought) it just keeps telling me to activated it someone else number.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
exactly no answer anymore, but im wondering if buying it from ebay would have the same problem as if i bought it from CL because that iphone is spanking new (the one i bought) it just keeps telling me to activated it someone else number.

on ebay more protection. you buy from people with good feedbacks. if they say esn is clean...its clean. just look at feedbacks. remember on ebay you are propected with ebay and pay pal too. those 2 aint a joke...they protect both seller and buyer. but mostly buyer. FYI...you can still sell that iphone for good money...here in the US the cdma its no good since ESN isnt clean. but international someone can unlock it and use GSM portion of it...so go ahead and sell it on ebay or so. someone will buy it. make sure to meantion for international GSM only and that ESN isnt clean

Last edited:

Oliverg109

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
on ebay more protection. you buy from people with good feedbacks. if they say esn is clean...its clean. just look at feedbacks. remember on ebay you are propected with ebay and pay pal too. those 2 aint a joke...they protect both seller and buyer. but mostly buyer. FYI...you can still sell that iphone for good money...here in the US the cdma its no good since ESN isnt clean. but international someone can unlock it and use GSM portion of it...so go ahead and sell it on ebay or so. someone will buy it. make sure to meantion for international GSM only and that ESN isnt clean
Mines is GSM. and even with my sim it still doesnt register my number

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Weird iPhone 4s is both CDMA/GSM on Verizon AT&T or Sprint. It's same phone. You bought a verizon sprint CDMA iPhone 4s with a bad ESN. And Ofcourse it will not register cuz its not unlocked yet...correct me if I'm wrong

Oliverg109

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Weird iPhone 4s is both CDMA/GSM on Verizon AT&T or Sprint. It's same phone. You bought a verizon sprint CDMA iPhone 4s with a bad ESN. And Ofcourse it will not register cuz its not unlocked yet...correct me if I'm wrong
never thought of that. from what i know you are correct the iphone 4s is a world phone ? so it can be used on a sprint network or verizon? so i still might have some hope reselling it maybe?

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

If you ever do get a hold of the previous owner ask if the removed the phone from their sprint account. My friend bought one one eBay and the seller had it on his account still. The phone couldn't be activated until the seller had Sprint remove it. Once the seller contacted Sprint it activated and worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
never thought of that. from what i know you are correct the iphone 4s is a world phone ? so it can be used on a sprint network or verizon? so i still might have some hope reselling it maybe?
call the carriers have them run the esn they can tell you if it's belongs in there system ie Verizon / sprint / att

AT&T are locked to AT&T Towers
Verizon on Verizon and same for sprint reason is
esn have to be activated in there systems and Verizon don't activate esn that are not sold by them ( sprint phones) and same gos for sprint with Verizon phones ...

So you might ask thats dumb why have CDMA / gsm same phone but be locked down ...
Simple the gsm / sim card part of the phone for CDMA carriers is made for world phone meaning it can be unlocked to work in other country's but will not unlock for US carriers AT&T and tmobile

AT&T is the same but there 4S esn can not be activated on sprint or Verizon

My guess is you bought a CDMA carriers phone and your trying to use the gsm part of the phone

If u bought the gsm version it would be fine swapping the sim

Try to figure out what carrier it gos too for Verizon try dialing *228 if u hear Verizon over air programming its a Verizon phone

Someone prob got the phone canceled account or didn't pay bill and esn has been black listed then sold it on cl

Last thing to try do a restore so it won't ask for a diff number ? I doubt it will work but worth a try.

Was there a sim in it when you bought it ?

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
iphone 4S is a world phone. you cannot get a sprint iphone to connect to verizon account or get a verizon iphone to connect to sprint. they wont do it since they go by ESN numbers. now you get a verizon/sprint iphone UNLOCKED to for att or tmo its all go. or for GSM international use...go to settings/general/about see if you see the carrier

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
iphone 4S is a world phone. you cannot get a sprint iphone to connect to verizon account or get a verizon iphone to connect to sprint. they wont do it since they go by ESN numbers. now you get a verizon/sprint iphone UNLOCKED to for att or tmo its all go. or for GSM international use...go to settings/general/about see if you see the carrier

Carrier unlock wont work on CDMA to work for AT&T or tmobile .. U need a JB and ultra snow a true unlock to make happen and currently it don't exist