Genius Appointment i4S (Faulty new)

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I have just made a genius appointment regarding my faulty NEW iPhone4Sand have a question or two.

Never done this before as my previous iPhones have never gone faulty. I reckon this is a hardware issue. The ear piece sound is just basically squeaking at you. You can hardly comprehend what the caller is saying. I have restored as new and cold booted but always the same.

Anyway, if the Genius agrees its a hardware issue, will he swap it there and then or send it for repair? I know iPhone4S's are in very short supply (mine is a 32GB model), so is he likely to have a replacement there? Do they keep a stock for just this occasion?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Boobie12

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
They should have a certain amount in the back that they don't sell for occasions like this. When I swapped mine out the other day, that's what he told me. They should swap it on the spot.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, reassuring to know.
You can imagine I was really annoyed when I found this problem, couldn't believe it. I had spent all afternoon playing and setting up and had it set right. Then I received a phone call only to discover this fault. I thought it was the caller's microphone at first, but I have tried on several calls now using different phones but I always get this awful distorted squeak instead of plain, clear speech on my i4S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, reassuring to know.
You can imagine I was really annoyed when I found this problem, couldn't believe it. I had spent all afternoon playing and setting up and had it set right. Then I received a phone call only to discover this fault. I thought it was the caller's microphone at first, but I have tried on several calls now using different phones but I always get this awful distorted squeak instead of plain, clear speech on my i4S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is probably a stupid question, but did you take the plastic cover the front. That happened to my mom when she first got her iPhone and that's basically how she said her phone sounded.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
This is probably a stupid question, but did you take the plastic cover the front. That happened to my mom when she first got her iPhone and that's basically how she said her phone sounded.

I agree. Know it seems obvious but I saw this happens to someone in the store as well. Both the customer and employee didn't know what to do for a few minutes. They just kept making test calls until they figured it out.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Know it seems obvious but I saw this happens to someone in the store as well. Both the customer and employee didn't know what to do for a few minutes. They just kept making test calls until they figured it out.

Yeah it's surprising how people don't think of little things like that.

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
Yeah it's surprising how people don't think of little things like that.

Yes, but in all fairness it's laid on perfect so it takes a bit to see it. Also, it's odd that it covers the mic. I know some people on other phones leave the default screen sheet on until they get a case/protector.

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I had a defective 4S put of the box as well. there was a dark, discolored area in the upper left of the screen by the carrier name. I made an appt at the genius bar for someone to take a look at it. Fearing the worst, I went!

I was surprised that the second the Apple girl turned on my phone, she said, "yeahhh so you have this backed up right?". I answered yes, to iCloud. then she says, "I'll be right back."

Couple minutes later she comes out with a new phone and sets it up for me. Restores my backup and all my apps over the store's wifi and I was outta there in under an hour.

(this is my first iPhone, so if this is normal for Apple, forgive me. not used to this kind of customer service)

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I had a defective 4S put of the box as well. there was a dark, discolored area in the upper left of the screen by the carrier name. I made an appt at the genius bar for someone to take a look at it. Fearing the worst, I went!

I was surprised that the second the Apple girl turned on my phone, she said, "yeahhh so you have this backed up right?". I answered yes, to iCloud. then she says, "I'll be right back."

Couple minutes later she comes out with a new phone and sets it up for me. Restores my backup and all my apps over the store's wifi and I was outta there in under an hour.

(this is my first iPhone, so if this is normal for Apple, forgive me. not used to this kind of customer service)

Having a problem like that isn't normal. Normally apples error rates are much lower then other companies. But yes the customer service is usually that good. Apples customer service is excellent.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site

Not a stupid question, but yes, I have removed the protective plastic front & rear covers.

Yet another question. As the phone is useless as a 'phone', lol, I have reset everything as it was out of the box. To the extent that it requires setting up and connecting to iTunes. It's just me being paranoid I guess, but I don't want ANY personal info of mine being handed out to anyone when the phone is repaired.
I am wondering if this is a mistake as it will be difficult to test the problem without a SIM inserted and the ability to make/receive a call.

Should I set up the phone again before I take it in?

Sorry for all the questions.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Not a stupid question, but yes, I have removed the protective plastic front & rear covers.

Yet another question. As the phone is useless as a 'phone', lol, I have reset everything as it was out of the box. To the extent that it requires setting up and connecting to iTunes. It's just me being paranoid I guess, but I don't want ANY personal info of mine being handed out to anyone when the phone is repaired.
I am wondering if this is a mistake as it will be difficult to test the problem without a SIM inserted and the ability to make/receive a call.

Should I set up the phone again before I take it in?

Sorry for all the questions.

Yes keep your sim in the phone. They need to test the phone, and see the problem. They may have a sim there, I don't know. If you want to wipe the phone after that, you can do it right from the phone and then pull your sim.

Gixxer07

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I just swapped my phone out about two weeks ago and they had me sign a thing saying its ok it erase the data on the phone and thang handed me the phone to have me press the button to erase everything.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I have taken your advice and restored the i4S. Hope they have a replacement there and then. I could always drop back to my i4, but that's not the point. It cost me ?599 so it must work or I want a refund! Lol.

As a side note, I have posted previously about iCloud and that I thought it was a waste of time. I want to change my mind! I restored my i4S from a backup I made from my i4 whilst at work and away from my home PC. It worked like a charm. So there you have it, I have eaten my own words.

As the saying goes 'Every iCloud has a silver lining' :)

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've always wondered: Does Apple give
you a brand new iPhone when you do a warranty exchange or a refurb?
I've always assumed refurb but, from reading all of these posts, it sounds like they give out new phones.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've always wondered: Does Apple give
you a brand new iPhone when you do a warranty exchange or a refurb?
I've always assumed refurb but, from reading all of these posts, it sounds like they give out new phones.

They gave out referbs, but right now there are no referbs yet, so it'll be new in a referb box.

Reactions: iLive an iLife

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73