I currently have a BB Tour on the Verizon Network and I'm ready for an upgrade. I want the iPhone 4s, but I'm just worried about the Verizon 3g network it will run on. I know the best network for the iPhone is at&t, and Verizon isn't as quick and has notably longer downloads. I just wanted to make sure people who have this device on Verizon have no complaints before I make the purchase. I love the device, and I'm looking forward to buying one...this is my only worry.

I'm not an Apple fanboy or Android fanboy, just looking for the best phone to fit my needs.

Thanks for the feedback!
    11-02-2011 09:46 PM
    I currently have a BB Tour on the Verizon Network and I'm ready for an upgrade. I want the iPhone 4s, but I'm just worried about the Verizon 3g network it will run on. I know the best network for the iPhone is at&t, and Verizon isn't as quick and has notably longer downloads. I just wanted to make sure people who have this device on Verizon have no complaints before I make the purchase. I love the device, and I'm looking forward to buying one...this is my only worry.
    You'd really need to try one out for yourself to determine if you're ok with it or not. I have no complaints but YMMV.

Isn't the Tour also 3G? If so you should know roughly what to expect.
    11-02-2011 09:51 PM
    An iPhone will perform no worse than your present BB Tour. And in some ways it will seem better. Don't worry - be happy with a 4s. I went from a Tour to an iPhone4 on Verizon - and could not be happier with the iPhone.
    11-02-2011 10:00 PM
    I have found that speeds are good enough to view youtube and d/l music. My wife swears up and down that her iPhone 4 is a LOT faster than her previous HTC Android phones as far as web browsing.
    11-02-2011 10:01 PM
    the data speeds arent that much different for standard stuff on the phone.. I think the major loss is not being able to surf and talk at the same time on verizons network
    11-02-2011 10:19 PM
    If your phone is still serviceable I'd wait to get a 4g iphone. An iphone 4 can be found relatively cheap on craigslist, which is just as good as the 4s minus Siri, and keeps you eligible for the ultimate iphone... which will have 4g
    11-02-2011 10:48 PM
    I'm happy with the 4s. The dual core processor isn't too shabby either!
    11-02-2011 11:34 PM
    I've had the tour among other blackberries on Verizon's 3G network, and trust me..you will be fine. I even had the new bold 9930 for a brief time and even comparing the bold on wifi vs the iPhone on 3G, the iPhone still wins. Blackberry is soooooooo slow compared to an iPhone or android device it's not even funny. I consistently get 2mb download speeds on my 4s which is plenty fast enough for me...no one should need more than that on a regular basis unless you are downloading large files all the time for some reason. Plus, there's always wifi.
    11-02-2011 11:43 PM
    I had numerous Blackberrys. I've had a handful of Droids. The 4S handles data on 3G very well. There is a 20 MB cap for downloading apps from the store, where you have to connect to WiFi, but you'll only do that a few times, as most apps are relatively small in size.

As far as streaming video, it may take a few seconds to buffer, and the 4S will pause playback at first until there is enough delay built up to play almost uninterrupted.

Music streaming has no lag as long as youre on 3G, and I've rarely dropped down to 1X.... and wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't looked at the phone and saw the "o" icon instead of "3G".

Hope that helps.
    11-03-2011 12:18 AM
    WOW!!!! I didn't know AT&T was better than Verizon. Probably what you might be referring to is a little bit better downloading speed, but I think it ends right there. I know alot depends on where you live and plan to travel. Verizon's service and reliability is top shelf (for most people). I suggest you talk to folks on both sides and find out for yourself. As for me, I've been with Verizon since back when it was Air Touch Cellular. Been very happy and my iPhone does a bit better than my Droid ever did with reception.
    11-03-2011 02:09 AM
    WOW!!!! I didn't know AT&T was better than Verizon. Probably what you might be referring to is a little bit better downloading speed, but I think it ends right there. I know alot depends on where you live and plan to travel. Verizon's service and reliability is top shelf (for most people). I suggest you talk to folks on both sides and find out for yourself. As for me, I've been with Verizon since back when it was Air Touch Cellular. Been very happy and my iPhone does a bit better than my Droid ever did with reception.
    The OP was specifically talking about download speeds, which AT&T does win that battle.

But to answer the OP's question, the speeds on Verizon are slower by the #'s, but I have tested my Verizon iPhone against friends iPhones that have AT&T, and real world tests, the phones are about the same. The only place I have seen the AT&T iPhone blow away the Verizon iPhone are in the speed tests. If Verizon is a good carrier for you, stick with them when you get your iPhone, you'll be happy with it.
    11-03-2011 10:36 AM
    E_Brown is right... you have to look at which carrier has better coverage where you will be using them most. A carrier may have 50 Mb/s down and 10 Mb/s up (yes, an exaggeration), but if you can't get a signal... it really doesn't matter how many lightning bolts and lasers the company puts in their commercials.
    11-03-2011 11:31 AM
    I think my 4S is better on 3g than my BB curve was
    11-03-2011 12:24 PM
    I think my 4S is better on 3g than my BB curve was
    Agreed. I don't know if it is the dual antenna thing Apple touted, but I get better coverage all around.
    11-03-2011 01:21 PM
    My BB 9930 streams and plays anything via 3G that any other device can do, so I'm thinking you will not be disappointed with the 4s speeds on vzw. If my BB streams perfectly, you can be pretty sure the 4s will do it as good if not better.
    11-03-2011 04:06 PM
    Gotta say coming from a 9930 to 4S it does seem much faster. Maybe the browser but.

As far as AT&T vs. Verizon it all depends on where you are. Coverage is the game and that is always local.
    11-03-2011 04:28 PM
    An iPhone will perform no worse than your present BB Tour. And in some ways it will seem better. Don't worry - be happy with a 4s. I went from a Tour to an iPhone4 on Verizon - and could not be happier with the iPhone.
    Me too, went from a BB Bold. Huge improvement in download times. Also, wifi will be even faster downloads. At least here, Verizon is much more relaible-better phone reception and no dropped calls.
    11-03-2011 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD