I will be receiving my iPhone 4S this afternoon. Do I need to fully charge it before I use it? I am so excited that I am going to want to rip the box open and start playing with it right away but I want to make sure that I am not going to screw up the battery.
    11-02-2011 11:20 AM
    Some do recommend letting the battery run all the way down then doing a full charge. Apple will say it doesn't matter.

It's up to you. I usually let it run down all the way on a new device then do a full charge but i don't worry about it afterwards.
    11-02-2011 11:31 AM
    It doesn't matter. Lithium batteries do not retain a memory. You can charge/discharge as much as you like. It is recommended that every once in a while (maybe once a month or two) that you do a full charge and discharge, but you won't hurt the battery if you do a partial charge on a regular basis.
    Apple - Batteries - iPhone
    Last edited by leharris22; 11-02-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    11-02-2011 11:33 AM
    I kill it dead usually then fully recharge then kill it dead again, literally all the way til it shuts off.
    11-02-2011 11:36 AM
    Apple - Batteries

More about lithium batteries.
    11-02-2011 11:38 AM
    Thank you so much for your responses.
    11-02-2011 11:44 AM
    It really doesn't matter, however, I ran mine all the way down three times when I first got mine on the 14th. It's more of a habit than anything else. I've never had an issue with any of the batteries on my iPhones, though. I can easily go more than 2 days on one charge with my iPhone 4S.
    11-02-2011 11:47 AM
    Mine came almost fully charged out of the box...but i must ask, why can't you rip the box open and play with it while its connected to a power source for charging?
    11-02-2011 11:47 AM
    It will have enough charge to use right away. Plus, the charging cord is long enough that you can charge it and play with it at the same time. It charges faster plugged into the wall than into a USB port.
    11-02-2011 11:48 AM
    I guess you are right...I could rip open the box, charge it and play with it at the same time. My Samsung came with a note on bright green papaer that stated "Do not turn on the phone until you fully charge the battery". After follwoing the instructions, many people told me that I really did not have to do that. I was curious if the iPhone was the same.
    11-02-2011 11:51 AM
    I kill it dead usually then fully recharge then kill it dead again, literally all the way til it shuts off.
    that's exactly what I did the day I got mine
    11-02-2011 12:06 PM
    it does not matter in lithium batteries but there's nothing wrong letting it drained to zero and then charged it. I did two battery cycles and so far I haven't encountered any problems

iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPad2, Travel International Motorola (At&t,T-Mobile and SmartFree Quattro SIM) iSip from InTouch SmartCards
    11-02-2011 03:49 PM
    My husband killed his to dead then did a full charge. I did not.
    11-02-2011 03:55 PM
    It will have enough charge to use right away. Plus, the charging cord is long enough that you can charge it and play with it at the same time. It charges faster plugged into the wall than into a USB port.
    I don't know about you, but my charging cord is barely 2 feet long. I'm tethered to the wall socket which means I'm either on the edge of my bed or on the floor unless I use an extention cord. Wal-Mart has a 4 foot cord for the iPhone. May invest in that. Saw a dock also. That'd be nice.
    11-02-2011 05:26 PM
    I bought an iPad charger bec it's longer and charges faster.
    11-02-2011 05:47 PM
    I don't know about you, but my charging cord is barely 2 feet long. I'm tethered to the wall socket which means I'm either on the edge of my bed or on the floor unless I use an extention cord. Wal-Mart has a 4 foot cord for the iPhone. May invest in that. Saw a dock also. That'd be nice.
    Mine is also very short and if I'm at home on the couch, I can't seem to use my phone very easily while it's plugged in because the cord is too short. If Walmart has a 4 foot one I'd be interested in that. The one at work is fine because I don't need much of a reach on it.
    11-03-2011 12:53 PM
    I went into verizon and bought one of those black iphone/ipad chargers with a 6 foot cable. I didnt trust the reviews for the ones on Amazon, so I paid Verizon 29.00
    11-03-2011 12:57 PM
    I know many people that say with lithium batteries there is no memory, and you can charge it as much and as often as you want. Personally I've always let my smartphone die or get to 1% before charging; many say it doesn't matter, but I have the best smartphone battery track record of anyone I know.
    leharris22 likes this.
    11-03-2011 01:08 PM
    I bought an iPad charger bec it's longer and charges faster.
    Awesome! And the iPad charger is also compatible with iPhone?
    Last edited by leharris22; 11-03-2011 at 01:36 PM.
    11-03-2011 01:33 PM
    Monoprice has cheap USB cables. I have two 10' USB cables that I use with white OEM iPhone chargers.
    sikmentality likes this.
    11-03-2011 01:35 PM
    I know many people that say with lithium batteries there is no memory, and you can charge it as much and as often as you want. Personally I've always let my smartphone die or get to 1% before charging; many say it doesn't matter, but I have the best smartphone battery track record of anyone I know.
    You do this on a regular basis or just when you first get your phone?
    11-03-2011 01:35 PM
    You do this on a regular basis or just when you first get your phone?
    Regular basis. I'm not OCD about it, but I do this when I can.

I believe the half of varaiable in the statement 'YMMV' (Your Mileage May Vary) is how something is used. There is a difference of over 5 mpg in my Jeep when I drive it vs my wife, and her first iPhone (3G) would die two times and be half dead by the time my phone was dying. I was really suprised to read people having issues with the iP4s, as mine lasts until I go to bed with about 3-3.5 hours of Pandora while at work, right in line with her iP4 with little to no streaming.
    11-03-2011 01:54 PM
    It really doesn't matter, however, I ran mine all the way down three times when I first got mine on the 14th. It's more of a habit than anything else. I've never had an issue with any of the batteries on my iPhones, though. I can easily go more than 2 days on one charge with my iPhone 4S.
    That's what I did when I got it, although not on purpose. Just playing with it too much.
    11-06-2011 04:55 PM
    I used to be really careful to charge/discharge completely on my devices. But after reading about lithium batteries, I'm convinced it can't harm them to charge/discharge when you need/want. As long as do a complete charge/discharge around once per month, you should be fine.
    11-07-2011 10:36 AM
    I went into verizon and bought one of those black iphone/ipad chargers with a 6 foot cable. I didnt trust the reviews for the ones on Amazon, so I paid Verizon 29.00
    What came with the Verizon one? Just the cable? I saw that when I went to Verizon to get my contacts switched over from my Storm2 to my iPhone but didn't ever look at the box very closely.
    11-07-2011 12:52 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD