Do you have to FULLY charge the battery?

deeleecox

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I will be receiving my iPhone 4S this afternoon. Do I need to fully charge it before I use it? I am so excited that I am going to want to rip the box open and start playing with it right away but I want to make sure that I am not going to screw up the battery.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Some do recommend letting the battery run all the way down then doing a full charge. Apple will say it doesn't matter.

It's up to you. I usually let it run down all the way on a new device then do a full charge but i don't worry about it afterwards.

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter. Lithium batteries do not retain a memory. You can charge/discharge as much as you like. It is recommended that every once in a while (maybe once a month or two) that you do a full charge and discharge, but you won't hurt the battery if you do a partial charge on a regular basis.
Apple - Batteries - iPhone

Last edited:

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I kill it dead usually then fully recharge then kill it dead again, literally all the way til it shuts off.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It really doesn't matter, however, I ran mine all the way down three times when I first got mine on the 14th. It's more of a habit than anything else. I've never had an issue with any of the batteries on my iPhones, though. I can easily go more than 2 days on one charge with my iPhone 4S.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine came almost fully charged out of the box...but i must ask, why can't you rip the box open and play with it while its connected to a power source for charging?

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
It will have enough charge to use right away. Plus, the charging cord is long enough that you can charge it and play with it at the same time. It charges faster plugged into the wall than into a USB port.

deeleecox

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I guess you are right...I could rip open the box, charge it and play with it at the same time. My Samsung came with a note on bright green papaer that stated "Do not turn on the phone until you fully charge the battery". After follwoing the instructions, many people told me that I really did not have to do that. I was curious if the iPhone was the same.

kimmykimmy

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
it does not matter in lithium batteries but there's nothing wrong letting it drained to zero and then charged it. I did two battery cycles and so far I haven't encountered any problems:)

iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPad2, Travel International Motorola (At&t,T-Mobile and SmartFree Quattro SIM) iSip from InTouch SmartCards

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
It will have enough charge to use right away. Plus, the charging cord is long enough that you can charge it and play with it at the same time. It charges faster plugged into the wall than into a USB port.

I don't know about you, but my charging cord is barely 2 feet long. I'm tethered to the wall socket which means I'm either on the edge of my bed or on the floor unless I use an extention cord. Wal-Mart has a 4 foot cord for the iPhone. May invest in that. Saw a dock also. That'd be nice.

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about you, but my charging cord is barely 2 feet long. I'm tethered to the wall socket which means I'm either on the edge of my bed or on the floor unless I use an extention cord. Wal-Mart has a 4 foot cord for the iPhone. May invest in that. Saw a dock also. That'd be nice.

Mine is also very short and if I'm at home on the couch, I can't seem to use my phone very easily while it's plugged in because the cord is too short. If Walmart has a 4 foot one I'd be interested in that. The one at work is fine because I don't need much of a reach on it.

HeyGreggie

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I went into verizon and bought one of those black iphone/ipad chargers with a 6 foot cable. I didnt trust the reviews for the ones on Amazon, so I paid Verizon 29.00

IamHahn

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I know many people that say with lithium batteries there is no memory, and you can charge it as much and as often as you want. Personally I've always let my smartphone die or get to 1% before charging; many say it doesn't matter, but I have the best smartphone battery track record of anyone I know.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods