I know many people that say with lithium batteries there is no memory, and you can charge it as much and as often as you want. Personally I've always let my smartphone die or get to 1% before charging; many say it doesn't matter, but I have the best smartphone battery track record of anyone I know.
    You may want to be careful letting your devices with Lithium batteries completely drain, too much. This decreases the longevity of the battery. Once a lithium type battery gets low, yellow or red, then its time to charge.

Again, each time you completely drain, then charge, reduces the longevity of the battery.
    11-07-2011 06:36 PM
    I will be receiving my iPhone 4S this afternoon. Do I need to fully charge it before I use it? I am so excited that I am going to want to rip the box open and start playing with it right away but I want to make sure that I am not going to screw up the battery.
    Just rip it out of the box. Give in.
    11-07-2011 10:23 PM
    im not really worried about my 4s battery if it doesnt last long because its really easy to replace them.
    11-07-2011 10:31 PM
    You may want to be careful letting your devices with Lithium batteries completely drain, too much. This decreases the longevity of the battery. Once a lithium type battery gets low, yellow or red, then its time to charge.

Again, each time you completely drain, then charge, reduces the longevity of the battery.

Prove it.....
    11-08-2011 12:19 AM
    Prove it.....
    It's common knowledge.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4S using Siri.
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    11-08-2011 12:22 AM
    Lithium battery life is actually extended by only partially discharging, as there is less stress on the battery than what happens in a full charge/discharge cycle.

There are positive results to be had by charging often and not letting your phone battery get very low.

Whether or not any of us see the actual difference in the life of our phones is another question.

There is a nice website - battery university - that debunks most of the myths around batteries of all technologies.
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    11-08-2011 12:45 AM
    It is better to do a full charge and discharge
    No, it's not. That puts maximum stress on the battery and shortens its useful life.

Lithium batteries are not like nicad batteries. Nicad batteries need to be discharged regularly to break loose the crystals that cause them to have memory. Lithium batteries do not have this problem.
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    11-08-2011 06:33 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD