Unlocked iPhone 4s available now?

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
If you buy it unlocked, it stays unlocked no matter what sim card that is inserted.

OK, but they aren't officially selling it "unlocked". I saw one of the responses there said that if you restore again, then it will get locked.

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
from what i am reading from my research. AT&T is LOCKED. verizon and sprint's unlocked situation is confusing...

VERIZON: phones will be unlocked for good customers when the unlock is available?

SPRINT: phones are locked locally, but the sim is unlocked internationally. an update supposedly is coming out to LOCK the phone, but you can lock and unlock the phone as needed by going to a store.

don't quote me on any of this. its confusing as hell. if i knew anything about jailbreaking, i'd do that when its released. [my previous iphone was already jailbroken...so i don't know if jailbreaking automatically unlocks the phone or what].

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Well almost everyone that responded in the link I posted claims that if you buy FULL PRICE with NO CONTRACT the AT&T version, then it will not be locked. I am just afraid that it will relock itself if I put an AT&T SIM card in it. How does the iphone know if I am on a contract or not.

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Big surprise. I called, and I got a drone that said "sir, we are offering them in November". She couldn't comprehend the fact, that what she was telling me might not be accurate.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
OK, but they aren't officially selling it "unlocked". I saw one of the responses there said that if you restore again, then it will get locked.

This isn't true for unlocked iPhones that are sold by Apple. They will stay unlocked no matter what. If an unlock is done via jailbreak that will lock again after restoring.

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I am not referring to jailbreaking/unlocking. I am referring to factory unlocked.

My answer still stands. Any unlocked iPhone that is purchased directly from Apple will always stay unlocked regardless if you restore it or not. Oops, have to edit my post above, that should say "unlocked" not locked....

Last edited:

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
If you purchase an AT&T no contract phone from Apple, and it's not specifically listed as an unlocked phone, you run the risk of it being locked in the future.

Period.

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Even though Apple claims that it is NOT unlocked? That is the basis of my original question.
The article I posted seems like this was not intentionally happening. Apple denies that these phones are available. However, too many have confirmed it in the responses for it not to have some truth.

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
We posted at the same minute, I didn't see that. That is exactly what I was worried about. There is no guarantee on that. I think I will wait another couple weeks or so till Apple releases the unlocked version.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
It kind of sucks to get an at&t at full price now and still be locked to their network, if you want to be on the safe side you better wait until November

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW