Siri Vs The Law!

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure about the law in US states but the law in the UK is very strict on the usage of mobile communication devices whilst driving.

In fact the exact wording is;
It is illegal to drive a vehicle or ride a motorcycle while using a hand-held mobile phone. This also applies to any similar device (that must be held at some point) to:
>send or receive spoken or written messages or still or moving images
>access the internet
These devices include smartphones or Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs).
While driving, you must not use your hand-held mobile phone, smartphone or PDA:
>to make or receive calls
>to send or receive picture and text messages
>to access the internet
>when you're stopped at traffic lights
>when you're queuing in traffic

This means I cannot press the home button to activate Siri at all! Now I can obviously use the built in Bluetooth to start Siri and talk to it. HOWEVER, the Police can still issue penalties if they believe you are being distracted by the device.... this is actually a much more serious offense!

Has anyone got any advice for others on local mobile laws?? I've covered the UK

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Those laws seem a little harsh but it's hard to argue with something that's meant to save lives. I wish I had more info for you but I don't think that the laws in the US are as strict. At least not in North Carolina where I live. Sorry that I couldn't offer you any real advice. Although i would probably just stick with Bluetooth so that all you ever do is push one button and you can keep your eyes on the road.

Last edited:

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
just use the BT... it would be hard to prove you were distracted unless you really cant do 2 things at once lol. And, how often do you see policemen? here in NY, its pretty much the same type of law, no talking/texting etc while driving unless its hands free. Funny thing is that i think people here think that using the phone on speaker phone is hands free... and i see at least 10 people a day talking on the phone.

wait... you guys have cameras ALL over the place... do they watch for people on phones as well? (Kind wish we did that as well... get the crime rate down)

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Who cares about that silly little law? I doubt the cops are everywhere watching your every move and if you can get away with it........go for it. We have school zones here that prohibit cell phone use while in it, but I still drive by yapping or texting.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
In the states...the law governing the use of mobile devices is a very varied issue, and typically, it is enforced at a state level and most times, reserved for local police to handle (for instance, Georgia does not have a cell phone usage law in reference to speaking on the phone, but it does have a "text" law that covers a slew of various features on almost every phone out there).

I asked a buddy of mine who is local PD and also traffic enforcement, and he said that they so rarely enforce text messaging rules when it comes to actually issuing citations on its own (he said most of the citations issued are in combination with other things like accidents, speeding, etc) that he doubts the use of the Siri feature would even be an issue to worry about...actually saying he thought it was good for people to encourage using the feature over standard text messaging, which most people do anyways...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
just use the BT... it would be hard to prove you were distracted unless you really cant do 2 things at once lol. And, how often do you see policemen? here in NY, its pretty much the same type of law, no talking/texting etc while driving unless its hands free. Funny thing is that i think people here think that using the phone on speaker phone is hands free... and i see at least 10 people a day talking on the phone.

wait... you guys have cameras ALL over the place... do they watch for people on phones as well? (Kind wish we did that as well... get the crime rate down)

FYI...cops don't have to prove you were distracted, all they have to prove is that you were performing an activity, while driving, that is conducive to distraction, which is where you'll get in a fix, because pretty much anything besides 10 and 2 hands with eyes straight forward and no distractions can be considered conducive to distraction. Police have actually charged people for driving with their radios on because of this, so you can imagine how easy it would be for them to make a cell phone related issue stick.

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Those laws seem a little harsh but it's hard to argue with something that's meant to save lives. I wish I had more info for you but I don't think that the laws in the US are as strict. At least not in North Carolina where I live. Sorry that I couldn't offer you any real advice. Although i would probably just stick with Bluetooth so that all you ever do is push one button and you can keep your eyes on the road.

I'm in South Carolina and there are no laws regarding cell phone usage while driving. People talk all the time while on the road. I live on a military base and the cell phone "laws" while driving on base are very strict.

When I lived in Oregon, they had just passed the no texting or talking while driving laws. But South Carolina is backwards. No helmet laws for motorcycles, either. And you can't buy alcohol on Sunday unless you purchase it on a military base. Some counties in SC also don't allow you to do any retail shopping (meaning you can only buy groceries) before like 1:30pm on Sundays. Crazy!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm in South Carolina and there are no laws regarding cell phone usage while driving. People talk all the time while on the road. I live on a military base and the cell phone "laws" while driving on base are very strict.

When I lived in Oregon, they had just passed the no texting or talking while driving laws. But South Carolina is backwards. No helmet laws for motorcycles, either. And you can't buy alcohol on Sunday unless you purchase it on a military base. Some counties in SC also don't allow you to do any retail shopping (meaning you can only buy groceries) before like 1:30pm on Sundays. Crazy!

SC does have an "attributing factor" law though like most states when it comes to usage...

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Who cares about that silly little law? I doubt the cops are everywhere watching your every move and if you can get away with it........go for it. We have school zones here that prohibit cell phone use while in it, but I still drive by yapping or texting.

Cops aren't watching you 24/7 but first of all why risk it and could you live with yourself if you hit a kid because you were busy checking your spelling or whatever on a text?

Driving while operating a mobile distracts you more whilst driving then having young children in the back screaming.

The law may be strict but since it's introduction road deaths have more then halved! Apple hopefully have solved one of the biggest problems on the roads today..... Our social lives!

@dp_scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Here where I am in Texas, they have laws about using cell phones while in school zones (it's a no-no). I put my down or hang up, then just call back.

Siri makes it easier for sure!

Chris

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I really hope this isn't slowly evolving into another "Don't text and drive because you'll kill a family!" discussion...

I agree, let's not hit that road but I think we can talk about the clear benefits of using apps like Siri to make driving and many other daily tasks safer.

I'm sure you all remember tipb's post a while ago with that woman so focused on her phone she fell in a pool/water feature... Had she been using Siri it could have read the text for her and she would have remained dry!

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
In California, we have no talking/texting while driving.. but you can still use your phone "hands free" as in with a bluetooth or even just holding the phone and using the speakerphone. Seems silly that you can use the phone on speakerphone, but the minute you put it up to your ear, now your violating the law? Ha.. only in California :eek:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree, let's not hit that road but I think we can talk about the clear benefits of using apps like Siri to make driving and many other daily tasks safer.

I'm sure you all remember tipb's post a while ago with that woman so focused on her phone she fell in a pool/water feature... Had she been using Siri it could have read the text for her and she would have remained dry!

To be totally honest...the same person that would be distracted enough by a normal text message while driving to be a harm to anyone else will have the same issue using Siri...

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Jeez I've I've seen people reading a newspaper (no kidding- it was spread out across the steering wheel), putting on makeup and eating food with silverware while driving! I don't see why it's such a big deal if someone pushes a button to answer a phone call (or activate SIRI). That doesn't take any more time than turning on the heater, AC or radio. Texting is another matter, IMO...

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
In California, we have no talking/texting while driving.. but you can still use your phone "hands free" as in with a bluetooth or even just holding the phone and using the speakerphone. Seems silly that you can use the phone on speakerphone, but the minute you put it up to your ear, now your violating the law?

Excerpt from CHP document:
Q: Does the new hands-free law allow you to use the speaker phone function of your wireless telephone while driving?
A: Yes, as long as you are not holding the phone.

I take a couple of minutes to set up my phone before starting the engine. The phone goes into a car mount affixed to the dashboard to the right of and level with the speedometer. It's above the radio. I attach a wired earbuds with in-line mic/controls and clip it on my seatbelt around chest level. I use only the right earbud.

I can activate Siri with a long click of the in-line button, so rarely have to touch the phone itself. If I use a GPS/nav app, I use one that has text-to-speech. We're not supposed to read directions on the screen (even though many people read info off dedicated GPS devices).

I don't try to do anything complex with Siri; no long emails or dictations. I make/take calls, set reminders & calendar schedules, dictate short notes & emails, etc. Simple stuff that doesn't distract me much from the primary job at hand: driving.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I risk it because I can. I risk it because if someone sends a funny text or picture....I want to respond because in comedy, timing is everything and I don't want to miss the timing.

So you risk the lives of other people in the name of Comedy??
Many people have been killed by people who drive and text, it's not worth it

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I really hope this isn't slowly evolving into another "Don't text and drive because you'll kill a family!" discussion...

It just did... but it also ended here, I mean... How do you argue with someone saying " f..ck it !!! I drive and text because I can " and not thinking about the cosecuences.

Last edited: