Is 1080p the only video recording resolution for 4s?

kaschykb

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Is the default and only recording resolution for iPhone 4s 1080p? I'm a new iPhone user and get lost in the settings. I thought I saw an option to change to 1080p from what I thought was a default 720p. Was I dreaming? I've googled the hell out of this. Thx

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's pretty annoying you can't downgrade the quality. I have a 16gig so I usually remove videos from the phone when I can. I'll res them down on my computer if it is something I want to put back on my phone.

GigaS27

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Just upload them to uTube or another web service (Dropbox) and u no longer need to store vids on the phone...just a FYI tip.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Just upload them to uTube or another web service (Dropbox) and u no longer need to store vids on the phone...just a FYI tip.

I'm sure people would if they had a fast internet connection. Someone mentioned that 7 minutes of video took up over 1GB? With my cable connection (1.5Mbps up) it'd take an hour and a half.

BiG BaLLA 923

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
That is a good idea. I'm a big fan of sugarsync over Dropbox. But I could get the video and then quickly upload (relatively quickly depending on upload speed like you said). Very convent!

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
App Store - Camcorder Pro - HD Video with Retina Display

you can use Camcorder Pro to CHOOSE what quality video you are shooting. [480, 640, 720 or 1080 depending on he device]

and YES. the videos are downsized to 720p when uploading to youtube directly from your iPhone 4S. if you wanted it in 1080p, you'll have to import the videos to your computer.

edit: camcorder pro shoots in 1080 on the 4S, and 720 on the 4

Last edited:

CPUGEEK

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure people would if they had a fast internet connection. Someone mentioned that 7 minutes of video took up over 1GB? With my cable connection (1.5Mbps up) it'd take an hour and a half.

He means from your phone to icloud or dropbox. You should get fast speeds around 7mb with the 4s. takes no time

grape8pe2

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Dropbox Size Limit

When uploading straight from your iPhone to your Dropbox account, there is a 180MB file size limit. That knocks out almost most videos over a minute long on the 4s (1080p). Does anyone know if SugarSync has this same problem? I would love to find a way to upload videos (on my home WiFi) without tethering. Any thoughts?

akingtrey

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
My upload speeds blow at home, but I do go ahead and copy 15min 1080 vids to pc then upload to YouTube. It takes about 12 hours per vid, but it doesn't really bother me how long it takes as long as it's off my iPhone then I delete from pc. If I ever need the vid again I just rip it from YouTube back to pc.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.186379,-94.117849
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
My upload speeds blow at home, but I do go ahead and copy 15min 1080 vids to pc then upload to YouTube. It takes about 12 hours per vid, but it doesn't really bother me how long it takes as long as it's off my iPhone then I delete from pc. If I ever need the vid again I just rip it from YouTube back to pc.

---
I am here: Google Maps
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that definitely works. If I were to do that, I would probably use a work or school internet connection to upload it, as long as YouTube isn't blocked. Or even the Apple Store's WiFi would work, they have pretty fast internet.

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
it can be changed by using a different app to do your video recording. I use FilMic Pro and it has a resolution that allows you to choose between 1080, 720 and 480.

Reactions: reltm

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the filmic app is compatible with the 4s at the moment. I can't locate it in the app store and following the Buy It link from the filmic pro website gives me a "Your request cannot be completed" message.

Update: I guess there was a serious bug in their iOS 5 update of the app so it was pulled. They are fixing it and it should be available again soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: reltm

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Looks like FiLMiC is still buggy (too few reviews to get a good idea). I did find Camera Plus Pro claims to shoot in 640x480 (with live video filters), but it doesn't look like you can select beyond that.

1080p is just too much for me. I don't have the storage capacity for that kind of resolution. I'd love to hear if anyone else has luck with FiLMiC Pro with an iPhone 4S.

I have sent an email to the developers of ProCamera and Camera Genius to inquire about whether their apps allow one to choose resolution for video recording. Will let folks know if I hear anything.

Update: FiLMiC really looks to be the perfect app for me (4 resolution settings). They are very active on their Facebook page and it looks like they are working on an update as of Friday, Nov 4, 2011 for a bug that may not even affect all users.

Update 2: Heard back from both developers: Camera Genius says they don't offer the ability to select resolutions but are considering it for future releases. ProCamera says: "ProCamera offers exactly the feature you were asking for. While in video mode, you can choose from different resolutions via the menu on the right."

So now to decide between ProCamera and FiLMiC Pro...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen