I've always been curious to switch to Android, but always chickened out last second. I do love my iPhone and if I switched it would only to have something new to play with for a bit. I know that in the long run I'd come back to the iPhone even if only because I have 2 macs at home.
    10-25-2011 07:43 PM
    Why post this question in the first place? Are you thinking of switching or just curious about others' opinions?
    10-25-2011 08:17 PM
    Megapixel means nothing...who needs poster size pictures anyway? Lol
    A graphic designer does. A photographer. An ad exec. Scouts.
    10-25-2011 08:42 PM
    Who makes the best android device out of those companies you listed?
    HTC makes really good phones from my experience. The only complaint I have about them is that their battery life is a bit worse than their competitors. To answer your original question... Both platforms have their ups and downs. I personally think iOS is slightly better, but it's all a matter of personal opinion.
    10-25-2011 08:58 PM
    I've owned both for years, if you're talking about Android phones. They're all different so you can't compare. Even the softwares.
    10-25-2011 09:05 PM
    A graphic designer does. A photographer. An ad exec. Scouts.
    ....but from a phone??
    10-25-2011 09:10 PM
    I'm afraid that I'm gonna have to agree! LOL! It's all about personal preference. If you prefer lag and ugly apps then Android is for you!
    That's what the thread is about, people sharing their personal preference, I think is a valid question
    10-25-2011 09:13 PM
    First off, hate it when people refer to ANDROID as DROD. Second, I believe iPhone is better for more people. You have to be kind of savvy to use an Android phone to its full potential. I am somewhat of a phone junky and I always come back to iPhone. I've had every model on two different carriers and I've also had many Android phones and a Palm Pre, Samsung Focus and Blackberry Torch 9810. I can safely say iPhone is faster, easier to use, and has much more quality apps. I'm not saying I hate Android or Blackberry or Windows but they aren't up to par just yet.
    10-25-2011 09:15 PM
    First off, hate it when people refer to ANDROID as DROD.
    Same. I'm not sure whether people don't know what an operating system is, or if that any phone that runs Android is called a DROID. I've had conversations with people that have gone like this:

"Is that a DROID?"

"No, it's a Motorola Defy. It runs Android, though."

"So then it's a DROID."

"Umm.... no..."
    roll-tide likes this.
    10-25-2011 09:38 PM
    well the more advanced the android software becomes the more advanced ios and apple iphone will become. the biggest thing with the iphone is its just so easy to use run and figure out. it just works. its so easy to sync and put your music photos everything on and it seems looking around EVERYBODY has an iphone these days
    10-25-2011 11:29 PM
    Definitely Samsung.
    10-26-2011 12:16 AM
    I am now trying to decide myself what phone I would like to get, as of now it is between the iPhone and the new Galaxy Nexus coming out. Since being in my 40's my eyesight sucks and leaning towards a bigger screen but do like the IOS.
    You may want to read up on the PenTile screen the Nexus will have. It has high resolution numbers, but text will not be nearly as crisp as on the iPhone. Anandtech has a thorough explanation: AnandTech - Confirmed: Galaxy Nexus Includes PenTile

This is Samsung's own grahpic illustrating an "Ordinary OLED" (read: PenTile) and Super AMOLED Plus (Read: RGB)
    Galaxy Nexus with curved 4.65" OLED display - FlatpanelsHD
    10-26-2011 12:41 AM
    If you don't have the iPhone you don't have the iPhone. Best phone out hands down. There is no competition apple is light years ahead
    10-26-2011 12:54 AM
    ....but from a phone??
    Yes, if you are out and need a pic of something in a pinch and don't have your whole kit with you, or don't have time to get it out and on before the opportunity is missed.
    10-26-2011 09:07 AM
    ....but from a phone??
    The best camera is the one you have with you?
    10-26-2011 12:17 PM
    I felt the Epic and a Galaxy both had excellent cameras. Both were 8MP before 8MP was widely around.
    The 4S has matched that spec, but I would argue that for the majority of people even the iPhone 4's 5 MP camera produced images just as good as most of the 8 MP cams.

The problem with judging images from different cameras is that so much is subjective. A professional photographer will see details and color rendering very differently from the average consumer. Most people prefer over saturated colors and sharpness near & far. Pros will want truer colors and at least the option for a shallow depth of field.

I think more important than the actual images are some of the more practical considerations. How fast can you turn the camera on and get that first shot? How fast for the subsequent shots? How quickly & well does the camera focus? How well does it do in low light situations? These are all important almost every time you use the camera. It won't matter how great the image is if you can't get the camera ready in time or you need a tripod to use it.
    10-26-2011 12:36 PM
    If you're going to put the iphone up against the original Droid, then in all fairness you have to go back to either the iphone 2 or 3GS. That being said, I had an original Droid.
    Looking at the the Bionic vs the 4s, is pretty much apples and organges with both being called a fruit (or a smart phone). I took a good look at both before settling on the 4s. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. What bothered me about the Bionic is that there are a lot of Droids out there which tells me more effort is being put into the quantities of phones rather than the quality. Imagine one or two Droids being done with the focus of all that R&D talent, but competiton can sometimes say otherwise. The next thing is that one company makes the OS while others make the phone. So who's making the shoe and who's making the foot. Apple makes both the OS and the hardware so the chances of their working together are a bit better IMHO.
    So the bottom line is to figure out what's more important after considering the pro's and con's of each system....
    10-26-2011 03:59 PM
    I had owned an iPhone 3 on ATT and then it went for a swim, shortly after I switched to VZ and they did not have the iPhone so I went with the HTC Incredible. I always liked the iPhone and own a Macbook so everything worked well together. The Incredible for me has not really been an issue, it had worked well and only once in a blue moon might get buggy but otherwise it has been good to me. Battery life was better on the iPhone especially with heavy use. I have had a few friends with the thunderbolt and that phone has been a nightmare for them.

I am now trying to decide myself what phone I would like to get, as of now it is between the iPhone and the new Galaxy Nexus coming out. Since being in my 40's my eyesight sucks and leaning towards a bigger screen but do like the IOS.
    57 here bud I have the Galaxy SII big screen real nice.but the phone is big soon we will be putting tables to our ears. You might want to admitt you need bifocals. Im not happy with Android so my Iphone is in the mail.
    10-26-2011 04:15 PM
    Yes, if you are out and need a pic of something in a pinch and don't have your whole kit with you, or don't have time to get it out and on before the opportunity is missed.
    The best camera is the one you have with you?

I get your point, but what happens in 5 more years when the norm is 16mp cameras....we gonna have those in our phones too? I just personally don't see a need for pictures that size, especially from my phone. As long as it takes good quality pictures, I'm happy....if I had a need for good quality pictures to mount on the side of a building, I would carry a nice "real" camera with me. To me, the largest size I would ever need/want from a phone would be around 1600x1200 or so which is what? 2MP?

What would the actual photo size be from an 8MP camera at full resolution?
    10-26-2011 04:36 PM
    You might not, but there are lots of people out there that would absolutely want such a quality on their phone, myself included. It would make my job a hell of a lot easier and a lot less crap for me to lug. Like RedChirp says, if you have it on you, it's the best there is. You just never know. If 16MP cameras were available in my phone, hells yea I'd be all over it.

What is your definition of full resolution? Full size at 72DPI (what many cameras register the photo as)? Or the largest size for quality printable resolution which is normally 300+DPI?

2MP would qualify as 1600x1200 which is about 22ish inches by 16.5inches at 72 DPI. It would be serviceable when printed to about 3x5 or MAYBE 4x6 at a photo processing place, probably a bit pixellated. But having the 8MP creates less interpolation of the images, making the image print MUCH MUCH better, and larger from that same image without weird pixellation.

To someone like me, that's a HUGE deal. Especially when the camera quality beyond just MPs is factored in.

ETA: missed your question about 8MP full size: 3264x2448 (45"x34" about) pixels thereabouts which would allow for a high quality print of about 8x10. maybe 8.5x11. A slightly lesser quality of 11x17ish would also probably be feasable.

ETA2: for someone in graphics having a high quality image that dimension and resolution makes a huge HUGE difference.
    Last edited by ame; 10-26-2011 at 07:37 PM.
    10-26-2011 07:30 PM
    It's a toss up between Motorola and Samsung with a very slight edge to Moto. I really think Motorola is back to making really good hardware which made them famous over a decade ago. Their devices have good battery life and are fast. I also think the Droid Razr is going to be a fantastic smartphone giving all the competition a run for the money. It's display is awesome!

A marriage with Google will be a big win for Moto if approved, that will pay big dividends in the future.
    10-26-2011 08:17 PM
    nothing will beat or top apple and the iphone they are the king!
    10-26-2011 08:20 PM
    57 here bud I have the Galaxy SII big screen real nice.but the phone is big soon we will be putting tables to our ears. You might want to admitt you need bifocals. Im not happy with Android so my Iphone is in the mail.
    Yea I have purchased some readers that I am using but figure I will eventually have to get bifocals, Just a year and a half my eyes changed its crazy...
    10-26-2011 08:44 PM
    I have only had an iPhone for a little over a day now and though I do miss the openness of Android to a degree, this early experience with the iPhone has been excellent and a little better in comparison to my early experience with Android. App integration on the iPhone is hands down top notch in comparison and I'm an app ***** so this is right up my alley.
    10-26-2011 09:16 PM
    I had a droid x, so glad I moved to the 4s, the battery life alone is reason enough to make the move. Going from barely making it through the work day to having 80% left when i leave work is wonderful, no longer need to carry a charger with me everywhere.
    10-26-2011 09:18 PM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD