Rip off

nite732

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
How can Sprint justify charging 10 premium data for the iPhone when it has not premium sprint data services or fast data speeds.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
How can Sprint justify charging 10 premium data for the iPhone when it has not premium sprint data services or fast data speeds.

So they can offer unlimited data. They're doing that for all smartphones, even if they're only 3G. Even with the extra $10, they're still cheaper than Verizon or AT&T. If you're not happy, switch.

Last edited:

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, they changed it to ANY smartphone like 6-7 months ago. Even when they were only charging it on the 4g phones it was annoying because 4g was so spotty and unreliable. It is a rip because you're paying more for a "data" plan than for a texting plan already and now you have to pay $10 on top of the plan to use data but it is what it is. I want to know how their "surcharges" went up 6 bucks on my bill especially when they were already $13 dollars. It's ridiculous

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't happy about the $10 premium data fee at the time I bought my EVO last December because I was told that it was for 4G at the time and as I was sitting there in the store with the new phone on, I couldn't even get a WiMax signal. In the 10 months that I used the EVO, I was only able to get WiMax at the office where I work, never at home, and rarely around town in the Atlanta, GA area. When I heard they were going to charge it for the 3G iPhone 4 and 4S, I wasn't shocked, as they had indeed changed it several months before for all 3G and 4G phones.

We can argue of the lack of 4G signal and the fact that the iPhone 4 and 4S only gets 3G, but the fact is that we have the only network that provides true unlimited data with no throttling. Everyone else either throttles and/or has capped data plans with phones designed to swallow more data than hours and surely push the 4G users over their limits. We don't have to worry about that. I can live with paying the extra $10 and know that my data (and voice, and text) are unlimited.

Reactions: mab4285

nite732

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I see people don't read. I know why they have the fee that first said it was for 4g phones then they said it was for premium services. The iPhone is not 4g nor does it have navigation or any of the other sprint services so unlimited data or not it is not justified. I have a palm 800w as a back up phone and with all it can do their is now $10 data fee. I'm just saying look at what you pay for.

mab4285

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Look, would you rather pay $79/month (plus taxes) for unlimited data, unlimited texting, and unlimited mobile to mobile minutes, or pay $84-$89/month for limited data, unlimited texting, and mobile to mobile only on the carrier you're on? Sprint is still cheaper.

Reactions: tnrambler

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Look, would you rather pay $79/month (plus taxes) for unlimited data, unlimited texting, and unlimited mobile to mobile minutes, or pay $84-$89/month for limited data, unlimited texting, and mobile to mobile only on the carrier you're on? Sprint is still cheaper.

That's exactly my point. Sprint switched their reason for charging it from "for the device you have and 4G" to "All 3G and 4G devices" earlier this year. Paying a $10 premium for WiMax coverage that was sketchy at best was annoying. Paying it for the only unlimited iPhone of all the carriers, is fine with me. if you don't like it, change your plan to the $79.99 plan. Your minutes won't be unlimited but your data will still be unlimited and cheaper than either AT&T or Verizon. They don't have unlimited and cost more than what we have.

nite732

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I,m not arguing the price of data plans between sprint and other carriers. I'm saying for what sprint gives with their "premium data" should be given with the iPhones. Apps should of been made ready for navigation, sprint tv, etc. give me the same options. I know apple does not allow blot ware but those apps should be made available for free.

nite732

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly my point. Sprint switched their reason for charging it from "for the device you have and 4G" to "All 3G and 4G devices" earlier this year. Paying a $10 premium for WiMax coverage that was sketchy at best was annoying. Paying it for the only unlimited iPhone of all the carriers, is fine with me. if you don't like it, change your plan to the $79.99 plan. Your minutes won't be unlimited but your data will still be unlimited and cheaper than either AT&T or Verizon. They don't have unlimited and cost more than what we have.

I had AT&T but had to move. With my discount and unlimited data my plan was only 67 dollars. So it was cheaper. I'm not having a carrier discussion.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I see people don't read. I know why they have the fee that first said it was for 4g phones then they said it was for premium services.

I did read.

Even though the $10 charge was only applied to 4G phones, according to Sprint, "it was never simply a charge for 4G." It was to "address the increased costs associated with operating smartphones on the Sprint network."

The iPhone is not 4g

Like I said, it's not a charge for 4G, they're charging all smartphones now.

nor does it have navigation or any of the other sprint services so unlimited data or not it is not justified

The $10 fee isn't for navigation or any of the other Sprint services, it's for unlimited data. Or, as Sprint puts it,

"We require this add-on for phones made to deliver a superior wireless experience including Web, email, video and social networking."

Nowhere does it say it's for Sprint's services. The navigation and TV and those other services are included in the Everything Data plan, not the smartphone fee.

To prove my point, go to Sprint's website, look at the LG Rumor Touch. Sprint shows it as being able to get GPS Navigation and TV, correct? Now add it to the cart, and also add the Everything Data plan to the cart. Is there a $10 "Premium Data" charge? No, there isn't. Therefore, the Premium Data charge is not a charge for additional Sprint services.

mab4285

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I,m not arguing the price of data plans between sprint and other carriers. I'm saying for what sprint gives with their "premium data" should be given with the iPhones. Apps should of been made ready for navigation, sprint tv, etc. give me the same options. I know apple does not allow blot ware but those apps should be made available for free.

Don't like what you get with the iPhone data plan? Go get an android or blackberry. /whining.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73